What's new

Early Simpson brush

Evening gents. I'm new to this board, and hardly an expert on shaving brushes. However I have a current interest and I'm learning as much as I can.

On the other hand I am a blacksmith, with 50 years of working/forging cutting edges. I sharpen every cutting edge I make or own on Japanese waterstones. Nothing better IMO.

Here's little jewel I inherited from my father who was a Navy Commander. It's approximately 6" tall and 1-1/2" at the base. It's unused in it's original Woodward and Lothrup box.

And as you can see it is beautiful 100% real ivory and badger.

Good part is it's engraved on the back with the Woodward and Lothrup name. Not sure of the date of manufacture. I'm guessing 30's r 40's.

Cheers,
Waterstone53
IMG_1650.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Suggesting values is forbidden due to B&B rules so take a look at final prices on the bay for a guide to the value. Very nice brush - I would certainly use it but do not soak the handle👍

Woops, first board mistake.
Sorry I'm used to posting on gun boards I hung out on for years and never had a problem with firearm price values. Firearms are my #1 area of expertise, but I'm also a collector of many other things.
I didn't think e-bay permitted the "I" word there. I'll check it out.

Cheers,
Waterstone 53

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here is some info on the company it was made for:

This is definitely a very fine piece of shaving history!! Finding real ivory brushes these days is very rare. Great piece you inherited.
I would not sell it! Also, there might be some issues with the laws depending on the state you live in. See you a re-loader, check out our firearms forum here.

Here is some info on the company it was made for:

This is definitely a very fine piece of shaving history!! Finding real ivory brushes these days is very rare. Great piece you inherited.
I would not sell it! Also, there might be some issues with the laws depending on the state you live in. See you a re-loader, check out our firearms forum here.
Thanks for the info. I spent many hr's shopping at the 11 &F st flagship store in D.C. during the 70's. Was definitely a high end company with quality goods. Since were stationed at Ft. McNair, which was only about 15 min away, that was the closest department store. Way too dangerous in that area now.

Sharp eye, most would never have recognized the McDonald V4-A/D digital scale. Yes been reloading for 55 years.

Love the brush! Was stationed at Walter Reed (Georgia Ave) and used to shop at Woodie's all the time. Even had the credit card that was used there and at Raleigh's.

marty

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Is it even legal to own or sell real ivory in the US anymore?
Own? yes
Sell? no but some exemptions

Under federal law, new ivory cannot be imported, exported, or sold across state lines. Antique ivory can be sold with proper documentation proving that the item is an antique that is at least 100 years old.

That brush is not 100 years old. Plus there's a 200 gram limit but that wouldn't apply.

Evening gents. I'm new to this board, and hardly an expert on shaving brushes. However I have a current interest and I'm learning as much as I can.

On the other hand I am a blacksmith, with 50 years of working/forging cutting edges. I sharpen every cutting edge I make or own on Japanese waterstones. Nothing better IMO.

Here's little jewel I inherited from my father who was a Navy Commander. It's approximately 6" tall and 1-1/2" at the base. It's unused in it's original Woodward and Lothrup box.

And as you can see it is beautiful 100% real ivory and badger.

Good part is it's engraved on the back with the Woodward and Lothrup name. Not sure of the date of manufacture. I'm guessing 30's r 40's.

Cheers,
Waterstone53View attachment 1758434
Beautiful brush, sir! Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom