What's new

DW not strong enough to operate our new pistol - HELP!!!

DW and I decided we wanted to begin the journey of conceal carry. It was actually her that has been pushing the idea for a while now. So, I did my research and I suggested the Sig P365 for a variety of reasons. Our first choice may have been the S&W EZ. The "EZ" means that it is easier to pull the slide back and load the magazines.

Well, with the gun shortages the way they are I was happy to even find a P365 for sale. The sales lady said they did not have the EZ and so I asked for another gun that might also be a little easier to pull and load. She recommended a few to include the P365.

Now we have the gun. I have cleaned and lubricated it and I can operate it just fine, but she cannot get the slide back all the way much less lock it back.

Do any of you have any solutions?

Had the same exact problem. Ended up with a Lady Smith revolver for my wife at first. Later on I found the EZ and that needed a few rounds to loosen it up. As mentioned time and technique will help.

I do have an old .38 Rossi. But she says it's too heavy.

So, does actually shooting the gun loosen it up? Does just manipulating the slide do the same?

I do have an old .38 Rossi. But she says it's too heavy.

So, does actually shooting the gun loosen it up? Does just manipulating the slide do the same?

I think it's a combination of racking the slide and breaking in the spring. Give it a few hundred rounds, clean and lubricate and see where you are. I am sure there are others on here that will have some tips also.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Another suggestion is to add some grip tape which will make it easier to hold the slide. Generally it is a valid aid while the gun AND the owner both break-in.

Grip tape added initially on my S&W BG 380:
proxy.php

proxy.php

After a couple months and a few hundred rounds things loosened up enough for the tape to come off but initially it made a significant difference.

Some good videos above. I never thought about this issue. When I took my CCL course several years ago the instructor had us follow the procedure used above. Each student in the class did it several times and I guess it just stuck in my mind without thinking about it.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Don't have her pull the slide back. Have her grip the slide and push the frame forward. Way more purchase on the gun and much easier. I had to show Yvette the same process for her Glock.

My wife couldn't rack the slide on an EZ that was shown to us in a local store; we wound up getting her a .32 H&R Magnum revolver. I concur with the "hold the slide and push forward" technique, and practice practice practice.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The answers are here, common problem. Have noted it with three different women, two bought revolvers. But times were different, guns more available.

AA

Thank you all for your assistance. I will certainly pass on the information, tips, and videos to my wife. I'll let you know how it turns out too.

Another suggestion is to add some grip tape which will make it easier to hold the slide. Generally it is a valid aid while the gun AND the owner both break-in.

Grip tape added initially on my S&W BG 380:
proxy.php

proxy.php

After a couple months and a few hundred rounds things loosened up enough for the tape to come off but initially it made a significant difference.

Thanks for the tip. Do you recommend any particular type of grip tape?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There is much more strength in pushing. It works a treat for most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 but an alternative method is with straight arms. With the barrel pointed down and and away from you hold the slide with the off hand, thumb pointing toward the end of the barrel, and twist the shoulders to push the shooting arm down.
edit: or just do what the lady did in the video simon1 posted 3 days ago...

+1 but an alternative method is with straight arms. With the barrel pointed down and and away from you hold the slide with the off hand, thumb pointing toward the end of the barrel, and twist the shoulders to push the shooting arm down.

True. I think holding it in close is more of a retention issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I do believe that was @shoelessjoe that posted the video...I just posted a text version of the same type of technique...with pictures even! :)

Top Bottom