What's new

Initial look at my Tisas Fatih 380

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Since the range is closed right now for cleaning and lead abatement I've had a chance to do a cleaning and inspection of my Tisas Fatih.

Some basics.

First about the name; "Fatih" is the district in Istanbul/Constantinople.

The pistol is a licensed version of the Beretta 84, specifically the BB version of the Cheetah. It's a dual stack 9mmCorto/.380 and came with two Mecgar magazines that appear to be the standard Mecgar Beretta 84 magazines. It has an aluminum alloy frame and steel slide and is DA/SA. Weight with a loaded magazine is 1 pound 7 ounces. The DA trigger pull (10 pull average using my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge) was 4 pounds 13 ounces and SA was 1 pound 9 ounces. The DA pull is long and very smooth while the SA is short and really crisp with a reasonable reset both tactile and audible.

The sight picture is a SnowMan, single larger dot in back and single smaller dot in front. Will report on how that does once the range opens. It's easy to reach all the controls and has an ambi safety.

Internally it has a firing pin block raised when trigger is fully to the rear and the safety puts the trigger in a free mode that does not connect hammer or sear or the firing pin block making it somewhat safer than my 81 7.65 version. It does not have a decocker but the firing pin block does make lowering the hammer on a live round slight safer.

Take down is just like the rest of the Cheetah family; press button on left and rotate lever on right. The only difference I've found is the recoil spring is about a million times heavier than the 7.65 version. Reassembly has the same issues as the 81; make sure the recoil spring is seated in the right spot and that the barrel is seated fully in the slide and it's easier if you reassemble with the hammer cocked.

Overall I'm impressed by the fit, finish and lack of machining marks, on the uniformity of the coating (Ceracote?) and a total lack of obvious cost cutting signs.

Fatih-01.jpg

And the 81:

81-04small.jpg

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The range is back open and I ran 3 magazines + 1 down range. No failure to feed, fire or eject. Recoil impulse very manageable and the Snowman sights were easy to reacquire during moderate rapid fire.

First-range-session.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The accuracy of the Lyman gauge was questioned since those numbers seemed too low so I tested the gauge.

I tested the gauge using an unopened gallon bottle of HEB spring water and it did not weigh 8 pounds.

The average of 10 pulls was 8 pounds 10.9 ounces. A gallon of water is general considered to be 8 pounds 5.4 ounces and after a lot of experience long long ago when I was a 110 pound teenage volunteer fireman humping a five gallon Indian water tank while wearing full canvass turn outs across Maryland fields in August fighting brush fires I always doubted those figures as way too low. It's possible that HEB Spring water is slightly heavier than distilled water but more likely that they fill the bottle to a gallon and dollop to make sure they don't get sued from under filling. I do have an almost empty bottle and as soon as I drink the remainder I'll weigh the empty jug.

The end though is still that the trigger is a very nice example of a classic DA/SA and slightly nicer than my 81 even with the added complication of the firing pin block.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As promised, here is the results of just an empty water jug.

AbE: And as promised, the empty HEB gallon size plastic jug had an average weight of 4.6 ounces. 8 pounds 10.9 ounces minus 4.6 ounces gives us 8 pounds 6.3 ounces.
Close 'nuff!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As promised, here is the results of just an empty water jug.

AbE: And as promised, the empty HEB gallon size plastic jug had an average weight of 4.6 ounces. 8 pounds 10.9 ounces minus 4.6 ounces gives us 8 pounds 6.3 ounces.
Close 'nuff!

No pics? :)

I'm honestly not surprised. the turks are turning out quality (for the price point) firearms now. I would not hesitate to pick up a Tisas or another girsan 1911

Top Bottom