What's new

Dry? Shaving Journal

Nice stuff. Glad things are coming along well. Well if you ever need a new challenge and things get boring, go get a real straight razor. :)

Thanks Tom! Yeah, straights are on the docket, but I have to get some time freed up in my schedule in order to do it right. I'm thinking that might be best reserved for retirement days. As it is, I have a hard time keeping up with the kitchen cutlery...

The method. Today was a rush job, I had somewhere to be very early. I didn't towel between passes. Rather, I just did a hot rinse with hands shaken off of excess water.

Hardware: Merkur 37C + Astra SP #4
Software: Taconic Shave Bay Rum Cream

All passes: Taconic is a really nice product. I haven't tried their soaps, but the creams are solid. Good quality consistent lather for all passes.

Results: Another BBS/DFS, closer today than yesterday.

Notes: I finally began feeling the blade grabbing whiskers today. Even that was only in certain places. Cutting through the chin area was a breeze again. I was easily able to use zero pressure. I'm going to lay that about 50/50 or maybe 60/40 razor/prep method, respectively. I really like the smoothness of this razor. Even if it doesn't cut quite as close as I'm used to, it's a no-brainer, smooth-as-glass shaver. Very nice...

The method

Today I modified the prep a bit. Yesterday, I received my first ever jar of Proraso pre shave cream. So instead of doing a lather massage followed by hot towel, I did a much shorter Proraso massage, followed by a longer hot towel.

Hardware: Merkur 37C/Astra SP #5
Software: Proraso Pre Shave Cream/La Toja stick

All passes: Thick consistent lather

Results: BBS/DFS, a few spots on my jaw are just DFS

Notes: While I did not notice a significant difference in the two prep methods, I believe the lather treatment has a slight edge in terms of effectiveness. Vs not doing either, both are very effective for me. Tomorrow I think I'll do both, just to add the menthol component to whatever soap I'm using to prep with. I don't expect it'll make any difference in the outcome.

The Method

Hardware: Feather AS-D2/Feather High Stainless #1
Software: Proraso Pre Shave/WCS Citrus Basil Soap

All passes: Consistent quality lather

Results: Just DFS... and a few nicks...

Notes: I'm going to take some time to get to know this razor. From what I can tell today the range of angles it needs is very very narrow. There were times I could tell it was really digging into whiskers. And then the next minute, using what I thought was the same angle, I can only feel the safety bar on my face. I'm thinking when I'm done learning this one, I'll be a shaving samurai. Good training

I don't blame the nicks on the method or the prep. I credit those with preventing a lot more. I did a lot of buffing trying in vain to get rid of the little bit of stubble that's left in more challenging areas. From now on using this razor, I'm going to do strictly three passes and a clean up on the chin, and what I'm left with is what I'm left with. If the razor is all it's cracked up to be, I'll learn to make it work.

The Method

Hardware: Feather AS-D2/Feather HS #2
Software: Proraso Pre Shave Cream/Speick Cream

Lather: I started with about a 1 inch slug of cream, applied directly to my face which I then worked with the brush. I just don't much like the way Speick performs. I think it does well in a bowl, but on the face, not so much. The first pass lather was too dry, the razor didn't completely remove it from my face. I added water on the next two passes which made it better. Overall, it didn't cause any problems.

Results: BBS/DFS. My left jaw is just DFS, but most of my more challenging areas seem to be BBS today. One weeper today and one nick.

Notes: The nick was my fault. I put the razor down in a place where there was no cream, and it grabbed. Weepers are 100% a technique issue, so I own that one too. Because of the mildness of the razor, I was finding myself bearing a bit of pressure trying to help the blade find traction on the second pass.

I think the Feather, like the OSS, is capable of a BBS shave, but really probably better suited to someone who is not a BBS chaser. Feeling my face after the second pass, if I didn't mind a little bit of roughness when rubbing my cheeks in an upward direction, I would have been done. I didn't get that much more accomplished with the next two passes.

I'll continue to spend the time to learn it. I may learn to love it. But where I'm standing right now, it's a razor that requires a lot of attention in order to get a so-so shave. It's only my second shave though, I'll give it some time.

The Method

Hardware: Feather AS-D2/Astra SP #1
Software: Proraso Pre Shave/Arko puck

All Passes: Thick consistent lather. Very nice result with adding water occasionally through the shave.

Results: BBS/DFS

Notes: I had some blood the last couple of days from the Feather blade, and with this new prep method, the Astra has been an excellent fit, so I gave it a shot in the AS-D2 to see what's what. It did reward me with a more friendly, less bloody shave. But I still managed two little nicks, nothing to write home about, but still annoying.

Along my left jaw and on my left cheek for some reason just don't like to be shaved by the AS-D2. It's strange because where the trouble comes is in a place where I usually have to worry about the blade making too much contact. But with the Feather, it's the inverse. I have to work to get the blade on the skin. I'm left handed, btw, so it's not even an issue of using the off-hand. But after some work, I was able to achieve an acceptable result.

I'll qualify my experience thus far by acknowledging I have a very angular face. My cheeks and neck are somewhat hollow. My jaw, chin, and upper cheeks are on the bony side. It may be that because my angles change so frequently, it's difficult to maintain an exact blade angle through the pass.

But all that aside, on my commute this morning, I was rubbing my face and noticing that it was very pleasantly smooth and comfortable. I'll concede that for the razor. For all the work it is, it does give a comfortable shave, in spite of my apparent issues. If my R41 causes even small nicks like I've reported, I have a dandy of a time getting a good splash of AV rubbed in. My WH burns too just not as bad. Today's application, I felt nothing. Very comfortable.

The stick in the mud is that it just doesn't cut very close. It shaves smooth, but not extremely close. At 7pm, 14 hours after the shave, I have a good coat of stubble. Tomorrow morning I'll be scruffy. After shaving with a medium aggressive, like the Merkur 34 or the iKon OC, I feel like I do right now at the 24 hour mark.

Tomorrow is the iKon OC, one of my favorites. I need a re-lax shave for a change :)

Top Bottom