What's new

Dry cured cigar storage

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
In theory dry cured cigars can be stored at room temperatures without a humidor. Being in Canada we can't just pick up a couple of Parodi Kings at the local gas station so I imported a box.

It might just be my imagination but they seem to be getting a bit crisp over time. I'm thinking of putting them in a tupador with a Bovida pack. Am I nuts?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I keep mine in the garage fridge and have not noticed any crispyness. I smoked one recently that had been in my truck for a while and it was pretty fragile. I think they would benefit from a little humidity.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Fragile is a perfect description. Yes I think 65 is where I will head. Have a few 65% Bovidas from cigar purchases.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think I’d just toss the dry cured cigars in a mason jar and close it up. I’d be worried about hydrating them with a novena when they come pretty darn dry already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That is probably what I should have done when I received them.

I do think that a little intervention is needed. So I did take all I had out of the packaging and put them in an air tight container with some bovida packs. I really do think I've saved them for enjoyment rather than have them crumble into dust.

Just a gut feeling. I don't think I'll go wrong. I'll try to remember to let you all know how it turns out.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think my intervention has worked well. Between the Parodi Kings and Kentucky Cheroots I have about 60 now sitting in a tupperdor. A couple self destructed as I took them out of the celo wrappers. I had one yesterday and it was as they were when I first purchased them. . . fairly stiff . . . but not silly Egyptian mummy dry.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I think I did the right thing. I just enjoyed one tonight.

Most likely I would have enjoyed it if it had been a bit drier but the ones I have left are in good shape as opposed to drying out too much. For me they develop holes if they dry too much and become unsmokable. I guess I'll try leaving one or two out to dry a bit before I try the next.

I have a box of parodi and they are way crisper than they used to be. My Villiger cigars seem unphased by humidity changes at all, but the dry cured cigars definitely need something. I will experiment based on some of the thoughts in this thread...

Top Bottom