What's new

Drummers.......

Scotto had some awesome links to guitar players.. including those to Andres Segovia which I believe I will always treasure...

But, please.... is there ANYONE who plays drums as well as Phil Collins??

Comments welcome.........

Oh Yes Sue there is a whole world of drummers out there,

But I Think your not into drummers that do so much for Jazz ? seeing you mention PHil Collins. in that light I still would suggest a monster of a drummer named John JR Robinson you probably have heard him a dozen of times without knowing check his Discography. http://www.johnjrrobinson.com/

Some of my own favorites:

Bill Cobham • Vinnie Colaiuta- Jack DeJohnette -Steve Gadd- Jeff Porcaro
Philly Joe Jones .

There are so many out there here is a start for you

http://www.drummerworld.com/

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'll agree that Vinny Colaiuta is world class.

I used to recommend to friends that they see Frank Zappa in concert. Even if they didn't like or even hated the music, they were sure to see the best drummer they had ever seen. The fans and the critics may not have properly appreciated FZ, but the musicians certainly did.

Terry Bozzio who was the drummer for Missing Persons--does some remarkable solo drum work. Check out the backstage videos on his web site.

http://www.terrybozzio.com/audio.html

On a Jazz perspective--Leon Parker is just too great to be believed.

They are two completely different drummers. Terry has this ridiculously large drug set and combines melody and rhythm. The sense that I get from Leon is he is a minimalist who bases his drumming on rhythm and the sound of just a few natural skin drums--still he is amazing.

Carter Beauford from the Dave Matthews Band is one of my favorites. He is in the minority of drummers that use the open style to play. I don't see many drummers playing this way (not to say there aren't, just saying I don't see them is all)

Historically, Bonzo Bonham (Zep) and Moonie (Who) stood alone IMO.

Scott

Bill Bruford is among the best out there from a fusion perspective. Also Gary Husband and Chad Wackerman.

Neil Peart from Rush is the best rock drummer, IMO.

Rene hit some of my other favorites.

sphughes said:
He is in the minority of drummers that use the open style to play. I don't see many drummers playing this way (not to say there aren't, just saying I don't see them is all)
Scott

What do you mean by the "open style"?

As a percussionist myself, I have an extensive list

Matt Cameron (Soundgarden/Pearl Jam)
Peter Erskine (Jazz Great)
Louie Bellson (Inventor of the Double Bass kit/Ray Charles)
Tony Williams (Miles Davis)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Phil Rudd (AC/DC)
Gene Krupa (Big Band Great)
Bill Bruford (King Crimson)
Steve Smith (Journey)
Carl Palmer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
Elvin Jones (probably the best jazz drummer ever)

Cheers,

Shane

ouch

Thanks to all who helped prove my point. Colaiuto, Bozzio, and Wackerman are just a few who havel toured with Zappa.

Peart was already said but is amazing. I'll have to add Mike Portnoy, Vinny Dinati, and Mike Mangini to the list. Also (though many of you probably aren't into metal) Vinnie Paul from Pantera and Gene Hoglan (various metal bands) are amazing. Also Omar Hakim is really great in the jazz dept.

Some great jazz drummers: Buddy Rich, Dave Tough, Gene Krupa (underrated, I think), Max Roach. Also, Kenny Clarke and Art Blakey. And let's not forget some less than great drummers but who contributed to some of the most successful jazz groups: Baby Dodds (Louis Armstrong), Jo Jones (Basie), and Sonny Greer (Ellington). Finally, Irv Cottler, Sinatra's long-time drummer.

Ken

ouch

This thread has been dead for too long. Here's an old guy playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Another Jewish kid from Brooklyn. What can I say? We got rhythm! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, another list!

John Bohnam
Steve Gadd
Jon Fishman
Yonrico Scott
Billy Cobham
Keith Moon
Neal Peart
Buddy Rich
Dave Weckl
Zoro
Dennis Chambers
Stewart Copeland
Carter Beaufort
Dave Grohl
Jeff Sipe

Of all the drummers I've seen (live and video) Stewart Copeland (of the Police) is probably the most memorable. He plays in a side project band called Oysterhead with Trey Anastasio (formerly of Phish), and Les Claypool (Primus). Oysterhead played their first show since 2001 at last year's Bonnaroo music festival. I wasn't able to go, but I did get to watch the Oysterhead show on a live video feed. Man did Stewart blow my mind!

Also, Yonrico Scott (Derek Trucks Band) seems to have as he explains it, a musical ESP with Derek.

Thanks Ouch! I didn't know this thread was here! I've been playing drums since 1975, and it's still one of my favorite things to do!
Some drummers who have inspired me:

Danny Seraphine (original drummer for Chicago) listen to "Old Days" "Does Anybody Really Know What Time it is?", everything else. He is legendary among drummers, and a great guy too. :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Buddy Rich - Great big band drummer, fantastic soloist. I used to see him on the Tonight Show when I was a kid.

Ringo Starr - Beatles drummer, highly original and tasteful - nobody else like him!

Joe Morello - listen to "Take Five" a masterpiece!

Idris Muhammad - listen to him on Grant Green's live recordings - I think it's called "Alive" He was FUNKY that night!:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Louie Bellson - another living legend and a first-rate human being! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I'll add more later! I have to work tomorrow!

Norm

As a percussionist myself, I have an extensive list

Matt Cameron (Soundgarden/Pearl Jam)
Peter Erskine (Jazz Great)
Louie Bellson (Inventor of the Double Bass kit/Ray Charles)
Tony Williams (Miles Davis)
Danny Carey (Tool)
Phil Rudd (AC/DC)
Gene Krupa (Big Band Great)
Bill Bruford (King Crimson)
Steve Smith (Journey)
Carl Palmer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
Elvin Jones (probably the best jazz drummer ever)

Cheers,

Shane

Case closed at Danny Carey, imo.

I was pretty amazed when I saw him play live. There was a part where he just started jamming, and jamming FAST... His arms were flying while his head and torso didn't move an inch.

Phil Collins is an outstanding drummer, to be sure. He's known for being able to play a one foot roll on his bass drum, and trust me, that is no mean, er, feat.

My list of fave drummers in no particular order:

Neil Peart. His solos are thrilling
Buddy Rich, the best of all time?
Louie Bellson
Art Blakey
Gene Krupa
Ian Paice (I saw him do a one handed roll, couldn't believe it)
Carl Palmer (Another one foot roll guy)
Keith Moon (Moon the Loon)
Billy Cobham
Tony Williams (who died way too young)
Chick Webb (who died way too young)
Tito Fuente
Avery Dunbar
Chad Wackerman (mostly unlikely name for a muscian, rock or otherwise)
Bill Bruford
Elvin Jones (almost forgot him)

M

modern man

Neal Pert
Dave Lombardo
Gonzo (take away the Gong)
Keith Moon
Mitch Mitchell

Top Bottom