Philly Joe
Elvin Jones
Roland Shannon Jackson
Matt Abts
Jim Keltner
Gary Husband
Bill Ward
John Bonham
favorite rock drummer ever....BJ Wilson of Procol Harum.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It took us 15 posts in the thread before Keith Moon was mentioned:scared:

Great moments in rock history-

November 20, 1973, The Who play the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Midway through Won't Get Fooled Again, Keith Moon passes out at his drum set. Pete Townsend asks the crowd, "Can anyone play the drums?"
Amateur Scott Halpin takes the chair for three songs, earning his fifteen minutes of fame.

Being a drummer, I was all about to thow a fit because there was a "best bass player" thread before dummer! Oh well, I can't win.:001_tt2: I love many of the drummer's mentioned, but the one guy that I think is changing everything and simply blows me away everytime I see him play is Gavin Harrison. He redefines technique, groove, and chops. See for yourself:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN43Q9a82mY[/YOUTUBE]

Jimmy Cobb?

If nothing else, just for being on Kind of Blue. Anybody in that recording deserves to be in their respective top list, from my biased and inexperienced point of view...

-Mo

Stockton Helbing... was with Maynard Ferguson, until Maynard's passing. I heard Stockton last March, and he's an amazing drummer with a great career ahead of him. Maynard never had a bad drummer. Dave Mancini, a personal friend of mine was with him for a while, as well.

+1000 for Steve Gadd! Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, and Joe Morello are a few that have already been mentioned.

Tchau,
chop-chop

I should be throttled for not mentioning Tony Williams. My favorite stuff of his is his Big Band stuff...awesome stuff.

As Long as I am here...
How about these:
Charlie Watts
Dennis Chambers
Billy Cobham
Ed Cassidy (Spirit)
Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs)
Terry Williams (Dire Straits)

add:

Levon Helm (great singing drummer; listen to "The Weight" by The Band)
Phil Collins (another great singer/player)

Norm

M

modern man

:mad: Guess no one heard me when I said Dave Lombardo.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpIpy1xU74[/YOUTUBE]

Hey you all forgot about Rick Allen of Def Leppard. He's known as the thunder god by his band mates and fans. And he's only got one arm, also plays with his feet on specially designed drum set.

Clayton

Ringo Starr( Very overlooked IMHO)
Bev bevan,ELO ( I was a big ELO fan!)
steve Gadd( fav of his, drumming on 50 ways to leave your lover)
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Tritan Fry ( SKY):a5:

Are my all time fav drummers

Buddy Rich - Great big band drummer, fantastic soloist. I used to see him on the Tonight Show when I was a kid.
+100

We had a Buddy Rich album that my brother the first drummer in the family, and I..the wannabe listened to.

I don't see many drummers using his style anymore.

On a funny note...I have watched The Music Man too many times. The first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was "salesmen"???

Marty

Scotto had some awesome links to guitar players.. including those to Andres Segovia which I believe I will always treasure...

But, please.... is there ANYONE who plays drums as well as Phil Collins??

Comments welcome.........

Man, and I was listening to "Easy Lover" like ten min ago:biggrin:

Top Bottom