What's new

Dress Sandals and Socks

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Please do not reply simply based on the thread title, as I have a very valid reason for my question.

I have a pair of Johnston & Murphy dress sandals. They're actually more of a casual shoe with a couple of holes, thus they are called sandals. The toes are fully enclosed and the insole has a soft sheepskin lining.

When I wear them with bare feet that nice sheepskin lining sticks to my feet. I don't think this is good for them and it is uncomfortable for me. The last time I wore them was last winter on a Caribbean cruise. My wife loaned me a pair of flesh colored no show socks, which worked pretty well. There was no way for any casual observer to detect them, but because they were too small for me, I had to stop frequently to pull them back on.

So now I would like to get some of my own before our next cruise in November. A quick Google search returned lots of different colors. If they're supposed to be "no show" then why the colors? I'm not sure I want colored socks showing through the few openings, but then again perhaps red is in?

Help me out guys. What are your thoughts and experiences?

strop

Now half as wise
Ask your wife how big a size the flesh colored ones come. If you get a big enough size, problem solved.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've been wearing white Smart Wool no-show socks with boat shoes all summer. They are quite nice and better than cotton or synthetic, IMO. Black ones would work for you too.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Ask your wife how big a size the flesh colored ones come. If you get a big enough size, problem solved.

That would be the simple and cheap solution. I was hoping there might be others with experience in this area who might have a brand or fabric preference, like merino wool or something like that.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've been wearing white Smart Wool no-show socks with boat shoes all summer. They are quite nice and better than cotton or synthetic, IMO. Black ones would work for you too.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to get some of those for my loafers.

What are your thoughts on wearing the colored ones with sandals?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a pair of leather keens (completely closed in toe) that are way more comfortable with socks after seeing out vet wear something similar I decided, to do it and its great. So i say go for it just not flesh colored whatever. Sounds like nylons.

I used to use to wear the feet cut from a pair of my wifes old pantyhose for inside my hockey skates, all there was room for and the skates would slip on so easily. You can get knee high pantyhose that will stay up, probably in a multitude of natural shades, and i wouldn't wear them with shorts, but might that be an option?

dave

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I used to use to wear the feet cut from a pair of my wifes old pantyhose for inside my hockey skates, all there was room for and the skates would slip on so easily. You can get knee high pantyhose that will stay up, probably in a multitude of natural shades, and i wouldn't wear them with shorts, but might that be an option?

dave

I think I'll pass on this option. But thanks.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have a pair of leather keens (completely closed in toe) that are way more comfortable with socks after seeing out vet wear something similar I decided, to do it and its great. So i say go for it just not flesh colored whatever. Sounds like nylons.

What kind of socks?

Initially I had two thoughts. Either completely no show or very flamboyant. Now I'm wondering if there's a third option.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What kind of socks?

Initially I had two thoughts. Either completely no show or very flamboyant. Now I'm wondering if there's a third option.
I like nike skateboard socks they are padded in the heel and toe and don't come uptoo high. Nothing flamboyant in color. Light grey or blue. We have a hipster 30 something neighbor who sports black socks with sneakers.

I've started wearing Darn Tough, Merino Wool socks the year 'round and my feet have never been happier. Have a pair of their 'No Shows' in black, maybe that's more in line with what you're seeking? The 'no shows' come in different weights but very few options in the colour look department.

Expensive socks but mine show no signs of wear and the comfort can't be beat.
example...
proxy.php

Vertex Tab No Show Ultra-Light

dave

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks. I'm definitely going to get some of those for my loafers.

What are your thoughts on wearing the colored ones with sandals?
I've only seen the Smartwool no-shows in black, navy, and white. If you're going to wear it with it actually showing, I'd stick with black. I tend to think the only reason for no-show socks to come in different colors is because generally speaking, people don't see them, so it doesn't matter. A loud color peaking through the holes of a semi-sandal sounds very tacky to me.

Underwear is also 'no show' and it comes in all sorts of colours.

Sometimes the colour is for you, and not for others.

It should be pointed out that ankle socks are not no shows. Ankle socks show. No shows don't. I don't mean to nitpick, though I do not suggest ankle socks with sandals. I don't even suggest no shows with sandals, yet that's not my prerogative to decide for anyone.

It should be pointed out that ankle socks are not no shows. Ankle socks show. No shows don't. I don't mean to nitpick, though I do not suggest ankle socks with sandals. I don't even suggest no shows with sandals, yet that's not my prerogative to decide for anyone.

I agree. No show socks are meant for something like deck shoes, where they really do not show, so it doesn't matter what color they are. Without seeing pictures, my first flinch is you shouldn't wear socks with any sort of shoe that has holes big enough to see your socks through them. I find the idea of a "sandal" with sheepskin lining very odd. Pictures might help...

During summer months I pretty much live in Birkenstocks when not at work. And I would never wear socks with them. If it gets too cold to wear them without socks, then I stop wearing them and put on something else. I also have a pair of leather sandals that are more dressy than the Birks and I've never worn sock with those either. I just don't think sandals were meant to wear with socks. Kind of defeats the purpose of letting your dogs hang out and breath when the weather is warm. I guess I'll wear my Birks until about October (I'm in northern New Jersey). I'll break them out again in April at the first sign of warmth.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had an image of "dress sandal" as dress shoes with a bit of ventilation ...

proxy.php

... so why not wear a nice pair of linen pants, and add some regular dress socks in a light and complimentary colour?

(I've never been overly taken with the "look how casually cool I am by not wearing socks" line of thinking. Sure, socks with sandals can be ugly if you don't pick the right socks, but ... especially as you drift toward the dressier end of the spectrum ... the no-sock look imho lets me imagine stanky, sweaty, unsocked feet. Meh.)

Underwear is also 'no show'

sez you ...

proxy.php

:001_rolle

Top Bottom