What's new

Dr. Squatch soap?

Anyone use the Squatch shaving soap? I was looking at the body soaps and found out they sell a shave soap and kit. I'm a newbie and was looking at a first soap to try. Was going to go with a Black Ship offering. Just using the C O Bigelow and Creamo cream at the moment. Was using this when I was still using a cartridge razor. I was thinking of 'going all in' on body and shave order. Thoughts?

I’ve never tried this brand before but judging by the ingredients (Saponified Oils of (Olive, Coconut, Hemp, and non-gmo Soy), Cocoa Butter, Castor Oil, Bentonite Clay, Peppermint Essential Oil, Eucalyptus Essential Oil), it doesn’t seem like it would lather well.

If you are looking to try some bath soap / shave soap combos, I’d recommend Stirling. The shave soap samples are great for trying things out and the bath soap is excellent. They also sell aftershaves, balms, brushes etc..

I’ve never tried this brand before but judging by the ingredients (Saponified Oils of (Olive, Coconut, Hemp, and non-gmo Soy), Cocoa Butter, Castor Oil, Bentonite Clay, Peppermint Essential Oil, Eucalyptus Essential Oil), it doesn’t seem like it would lather well.

If you are looking to try some bath soap / shave soap combos, I’d recommend Stirling. The shave soap samples are great for trying things out and the bath soap is excellent. They also sell aftershaves, balms, brushes etc..
Nick is most likely correct.! If no one here Raves about the soap, it is most likely a dud IMO.

Dr. SQUATCH had a few online reviews a while back that were less that positive, even with the bath soap.

Lisa's Natural is one I highly recommend, prices are crazy cheap for what you get. Performance is top notch on everything I have tried from them (regular shave soap, premium line, shampoo bar, balm, bath soap). She also offers many discount codes and specials that make it one of the best deals in wet shaving IMO.

Stirling is a good recommendation and their samples are 1oz and last a long time, plus they are very affordable.

A few other great affordable artisans:

Viking Soap & Cosmetics
Siliski Soaps
Perfectly Natural Soaps
Square One Soap works

I have not used this brand of soap; in fact I was not familiar with it. Taking a quick look at their web site, it looks like they are more into shower soaps than shaving soaps. For showering, they may be fine. All soaps are made from saponified fatty acids, but one of the most critical fatty acids required for developing a great lather for shaving is stearic acid. Many shave soaps use tallow as the primary source of stearic acid, but other sources are cocoa butter, shea butter, and kokum butter, so vegan soaps can still have significant stearic acid content. This soap does contain some cocoa butter, but it is pretty far down the ingredient list. If you find it is not up to par for shaving, you can always use it in the shower. I have done that with more than one soap that had disappointing performance.

Here is reference to a video by Kensurfs who does a lot of shaving videos.

He got a decent DE shave, but the soap was difficult to lather. The soap may be slick, but the lather was thin (translucent rather than opaque), and the lather started to break down, so it is not going to be very protective if you have sensitive skin. I like to build a thick lather that has the consistency of yogurt. I doubt I could do that with Dr. Squatch.

+1! IME olive oil is a lather killer. There are so many good soaps these days that I would not bother.

YMMV for sure!

You would be dead wrong. The lather of this soap is world class and the scents are wonderful. I do not know why folks reply to specific things they have not tried. There is nothing negative i can say about Dr. Squatch. I'm loving the Cedar Citris, Nautical Sage, Gold Moss Scrub, and Pine Tar. Really great, ridiculous lather, no drying, subtle scent left that is fantastic.

You would be dead wrong. The lather of this soap is world class and the scents are wonderful. I do not know why folks reply to specific things they have not tried. There is nothing negative i can say about Dr. Squatch. I'm loving the Cedar Citris, Nautical Sage, Gold Moss Scrub, and Pine Tar. Really great, ridiculous lather, no drying, subtle scent left that is fantastic.

What are you doing different to get a "world class", "great", "ridiculous" lather?

Kensurfs has evaluated a lot of different soaps. Even though he spent a lot of time trying to develop a lather, he still ended up with a poor quality lather that dissipated during the shave. If I had of achieved a lather like the one Ken got, I would never have let a razor blade anywhere near my face.

Which other shaving soaps have you used as a comparison to Dr. Squatch?

I have never tried their soaps so I will not comment or speculate on the quality. However, I can definitely reccomend Stirling. Their soap is great. They offer very affordable samples in all different scents. They have a great aftershave with tea tree, witch hazel, and aloe that is great for sensitive skin. They also have splashes and balms that come in the same scent as their soaps so you aren't battling different scents. I have not tried their bath soaps, but if they are anything like their shave soaps I am comfortable saying they will be great as well. If you try Stirling I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Just joined on Sunday and their only post was to back/support the brand. Color me skeptical, I’ll take the advice from the experts with history here and the YouTube review.

Just joined on Sunday and their only post was to back/support the brand. Color me skeptical, I’ll take the advice from the experts with history here and the YouTube review.

It always amazes me when someone makes a sweeping statement like "The lather of this soap is world class and the scents are wonderful.". Yet, when asked which soaps they have used for comparison, they have no response.

If I state that A&E Yogurt base, B&M Excelsior, DG Milksteak, GD Nai, M&M Kodiak, WK Siero and ZM Sego are world class soaps, it it because I have evaluated each of them and I have compared them to enough enough other soaps to know the specific ways in which they excel.

Also, because I have evaluated so many soaps, I can look at a soap formula and tell whether it is a soap that I want to evaluate as a potential top tier soap. The formula for Dr. Squatch is not that of a world class soap and shave videos confirm that conclusion.

I’ve been using their bath soaps for about a year and they have been really good. I also decided to try their shampoo and conditioner. They were also great and managed to clear up a problem I was having with a dry scalp. So I decided to try the shave soap. Comes in a nice tin. Has a nice minty smell. But no. Just no. NO. Worst shave with a DE razor I’ve ever had. No lather. No cushion. Slick but it just made the razor glide over the stubble instead of through it. Felt like I didn’t even shave after two passes.

I've tried to use Dr. Squatch for the last week. Generates a nice latherish foam within the lathering bowl, lasts a long time. However, as soon as I apply it to my face the lather dissipates very fast.

I used a SR the first time and had to reapply from the bowl at least three times to continue. Using a DE I can get it done faster, but I'm not happy with the shave.

I'm going to dig it out of my mug and use one of my backups. I like their shower soaps and shampoo/conditioner, but their shave soap falls short for its intended purpose.

You guys are few and far between. Myself and many others have not received their orders and the company refuses to respond to inquiries. This lead me to checking out the company and found they have an F rating with the BBB. I placed my order on 5/16, received a tracking number on 5/18 and the order never arrived at the USPS. They are blaming the USPS and Covid for the delay. They won't even answer their phone. If you doubt my complaint, check the companies Facebook page.

Just used Dr Squatch for the second time. I’ve been wet shaving for about 4 years or so, have soft water and can get at least a decent lather from every soap I’ve tried. But this one is weak sauce. Smells really great and I wanted to like it. But the lather looks like what you skim off the washer tub when you put in too much detergent.

One of the few times I’m tempted to ask for a refund. Just might this time.

And the tin stinks. Way too small for the puck.

Top Bottom