What's new

Dovo Primo

Check out Dovo's home page (not sure if I'm allowed to link.) They apparently have a new razor coming out after not having anything new for a while. That said, if you take a close look at the shape of the underside of the base plate, it looks similar to the King C. Gillette except no scallops on the safety bar. Sorry, I don't have any info on release/USA availability. Does anyone else have more info?

Check out Dovo's home page (not sure if I'm allowed to link.) They apparently have a new razor coming out after not having anything new for a while. That said, if you take a close look at the shape of the underside of the base plate, it looks similar to the King C. Gillette except no scallops on the safety bar. Sorry, I don't have any info on release/USA availability. Does anyone else have more info?
just looks like a new 23c with a non scallop bar heavy handle

Attachments

• 21096002bc08ea5adf8d0db3d8035689.png
    21096002bc08ea5adf8d0db3d8035689.png
    164 KB · Views: 77
Dovo branding, not Merkur. A new handle. Same zamak head as always, except no scalloping.

Also, how are the PRIMO I and PRIMO II different from each other? I could not spot it.

Dovo makes nice quality implements. I have a couple of hair shears I use to trim my wife's hair.

The razor looks like just another variation of what is already available. Being a Dovo product, you can count on it being of nice quality.

Bump!

I bought the (Primo II) in September on a whim because I saw it for $39. I had read about it and figured that for $39, I couldn't lose much. It's so good that I quickly bought a second one as a spare. I have and have had tons of DE's in all price ranges and this Dovo has ended up in my "Top 3" SB DE's in my rotation. It's shares that recognition with my Rex Envoy & Chiseled Face Legacy! I tend to favor razors on the medium aggressive end but this is my go to if I want a mild shave. The issue is that it's mild but extraordinarily efficient. I don't know what magic the Germans did with this razor but it's really something else. It glides over your skin! A razor that must be tried!
I typically use it with a Personna Lab Blue blade which works perfect for me on this razor.
The weight, balance and handle is pretty much perfect!
Note: This is an original Dovo design that has nothing to do with Merkur. Dovo and Merkur have split!
They spent almost 3 years developing and testing it and it's a work of art! The fit & finish is A-1!
The handle is brass and the head is zinc die cast but it's coated in what they call and developed "Chrome 3 coating".
This coating is supposed to resist what normal zamak doesn't. So it shouldn't rust! They also added a brass insert
in the handle which is what screws on the post. The post is ultra long and is supposed to keep water out when mated to the brass handle post.
The Primo I has smoother tighter knurling and the Primo II has rougher knurling. I bought both Primo II's.
For those interested, Knife Center has the Primo II in stock for $39. Everywhere else it's like $60.
Fantastic deal on a fantastic razor!
If you like mild, incredibly smooth and efficient, give it a try!

full

full

full

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
DOVO is closely related to Merkur. They made the straights, Merkur the DEs.
The companies split and since 1996 Merkur and Dovo are united again. Still operate both brands.

Merkur DNA for the head is likely. Now wonder if they one day bother to make one from stainless steel! :)

The companies split and since 1996 Merkur and Dovo are united again. Still operate both brands.

Merkur DNA for the head is likely. Now wonder if they one day bother to make one from stainless steel! :)
It's a spin on the same design idea, but they are more different than might seem at a glance.

@LRod
It's going to be interesting to see how the plating is going to hold up, considering it's supposedly different somehow. The blurb on their product page only says it's "eco-friendly", but doesn't seem to make any claims regarding its durability.

I wonder how much more expensive than zamak casting brass and a 6061/6066/7075 aluminium alloy would be.

I'd love it in stainless!
From what I've read, they recently split in terms of which side does what. Corporate ownership might be under the same umbrella but they operate separate. And the Dovo has zero anything in common with any Merkur. The Merkur quality is nowhere near the Dovo's!

It's a spin on the same design idea, but they are more different than might seem at a glance.

@LRod
It's going to be interesting to see how the plating is going to hold up, considering it's supposedly different somehow. The blurb on their product page only says it's "eco-friendly", but doesn't seem to make any claims regarding its durability.

I wonder how much more expensive than zamak casting brass and a 6061/6066/7075 aluminium alloy would be.
I read about the durability thing elsewhere and not in their site. I can remember where it was but I'm sure it was from a dealer review.

According to the video they are operating separately now, post-bankruptcy.

I read about the durability thing elsewhere and not in their site. I can remember where it was but I'm sure it was from a dealer review.
Direct quote from the Dovo site:

The DOVO safety razor is designed for ultimate durability. Its reinforced thread and high corrosion protection guarantee longevity even under the most adverse conditions.

Now whether it actually holds up is another matter. I would like to know what the bolt portion is made of. Is it brass and welded onto the top plate? Or is it a cast single piece with the top plate?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
And the Dovo has zero anything in common with any Merkur. The Merkur quality is nowhere near the Dovo's!
It definitely looked a lot better on your photo! They seem to have restarted DOVO in a new location, also within Solingen though, and a lower workforce count, but a more focused and quality oriented production. They split and re-merged with Merkur several times, I lost track. But legal constructs and actual dependencies are quite a complex thing in Germany. A local shoe maker here operates under no less than 6 companies and brand names, no kidding.

The Primo is looking good, I will take another look at their offerings. Maybe they will even consider going stainless one day and interest weirdo razor enthusiasts as well! :thumbsup:

... this Dovo has ended up in my "Top 3" SB DE's in my rotation. It's shares that recognition with my Rex Envoy & Chiseled Face Legacy!
Fantastic deal on a fantastic razor!...
Thank you @LRod :thumbup: your review just caused my impulsive buying of Dovo Primo II (and this is not the 1st purchase because of yours posts..

Here's my initial impression of this razor:

Cheers!

Top Bottom