What's new

Dovo Bismarck ebony handle as newbie's 1st straight?

I was considering the purchase of a Dovo Bismarck with an ebony handle as my first foray into the world of straight blade shaving.

I see one for $148 and I also see the same model much higher.

Seems like a good deal but is it, and would this be good for a newbie?

Your input is appreciated.

Thank you,
-Robby

Its against the rules here to give $ appraisals, But I can say with much confidence that the 'Bismark' is a great razor for ANYONE!

It’s a great razor, and if you like the way it looks go for it! I had one for a while and loved it. The thumb notch is a choic3c and IMO makes for a comfortable grip.

As to ‘beginner’ razors- they’re all sharp! If you think it will feel good in your hand and you like it, great! The only razors I would warn a beginner away from are big 8/8 and up choppers (because they’re harder to manage) and shavettes.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
There's really no such thing as a training or beginner straight. If you're starting out in straights, I'd recommend perusing the BST for one that is classified as shave-ready, and save the $$$ for a more expensive straight if you find you like using a straight.

As said above the Dovo Bismarck is an excellent forgiving razor. I strongly recommend it, but it doesn't come shave ready out of the box. This is an older version.

2017-07-09 18.25.19.jpg

As someone starting new I would recommend getting a quality but around 50$ that comes shave ready to make sure you like using straights. Also don't forget you will need a decent strop (40-80$).

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I think a Dovo Bismarck or a pre-Dovo NOS Bismarck brand Bismarck, or any Bismarck pattern razor from Dovo, TI, or Revisor, is a teriffic razor, very ergonomic, and for a newbie who wants to start out with a new razor, a very good choice, especially if it is deeply discounted from normal retail price. HOWEVER, if it does not come shave ready from a reputable vendor, then it is useless to you until you have it honed by a knowledgeable and skilled person with the equipment to do the job properly. Please don't think you can just get the razor and "sharpen" it yourself. This is not a pocketknife!

The only problem with a new razor is it begins depreciating as soon as you open the package. A nice pre-war vintage blade has already done all its depreciating, and if you get one for a good price you can generally resell it for about what you paid for it if straight shaving turns out not to be your bag. Entry cost is way less than a new razor of decent quality. Have a look at www.whippeddog.com for a cheap entry into straight shaving. And all of Larry's razors come shave ready.

i started by buying a sight unseen flawed razor from Larry and when i decided i could make a go of straight razor shaving, i bought a Bismarck from him too, which he sharpened wonderfully. It's my daily shaver and they are great to use.

T

If you want to save about $20 and be assurred your Dovo will be surely shave ready, check out The Superior Shave. Last I checked, Jarrod had Bismarcks with the faux goat horn scales for $129 shipped. He knows how to put an edge on a blade

15A31555-D818-47CD-8665-354F4760362E.jpeg
65AE686C-CDE6-43A1-A67F-2C85861DD020.jpeg
View attachment 827440
15A31555-D818-47CD-8665-354F4760362E.jpeg

I suppose if you look hard enough, you may find a Dovo Palisander (top). TSS really had a winner with this one. It was a limited run that went for about $120 or so if I recall. Ironically I had it listed for sale for a long time. No takers, I kept it; glad I did.
Bottom picture is a Ralf Aust Bismarck style blade. Excellent razor, not too hard to find.
Either would be a great choice.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you want to save about $20 and be assurred your Dovo will be surely shave ready, check out The Superior Shave. Last I checked, Jarrod had Bismarcks with the faux goat horn scales for $129 shipped. He knows how to put an edge on a blade

Nice price for that. Nearly entry level price for a decidedly mid+ level razor.

i have a bismark and a flowing. i'm a fan of them. only thing i can say, aside from what's already been mentioned, is that some people may not like the ergos of a thumb notch.

Top Bottom