What's new

double edge decline

Several years ago I asked this forum if the double edge fade had feined.
Many of the "cutting edge" razor makers have left the market.
Now I see that Above The Tie is shuttering production.
Again I ask is DE shaving losing market share or.....
high end razors losing panache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think the market is stable, maybe not in growth mode. Like most products someone is always trying to be the next Gillette, or Schick. Would assume if you a boutique builder of fine razors if you're operating in black, have back orders, and paying bill on time. Your luckyPlus have nice middle class life style, you're lucky. Is any Razor Maker or Wet Shaving Produce seller driving a New Ferrari? I would guess no.

I am confused and have questions...
  • What are you giving away?
  • What does "fade has feined" mean?
Pretty sure he meant panache and just spelled it wrong, but I agree with you that the rest of it is pretty tough to decipher.

The following is my attempt at putting the post into understandable English. My guess is that he accidentally chose 'Giveaway' as a title and doesn't know how to change it now that it is posted. In other words, he isn't giving anything away; he just wanted to have a conversation.

Now to the post. This is my best guess as to what he was trying to say.

Title: Decline in use/popularity of double-edge razors?

Main body: Several years ago I asked, on this forum, whether the double-edge razor fad was fading away. Many of the 'cutting edge' razor makers have left the market. Now I hear that Above the Tie is also going out of business, so I ask again: are double-edge razors losing market share? Have double-edge razors lost their panache (appeal, shine)?

It is possible that the OP's native language is not English. The above is not meant as a insult but as a way of helping him get the discussion started. I apologize to the OP if I misinterpreted any of the intentions of the post.

Last edited:
Several years ago I asked this forum if the double edge fade had feined.
Many of the "cutting edge" razor makers have left the market.
Now I see that Above The Tie is shuttering production.
Again I ask is DE shaving losing market share or.....
high end razors losing punash.

The early part of 2019 is when I got into DE shaving. And that was only an EJ89, can of Barbasol, and some Derby and Feather blades.

Fast-forward to late Spring 2023 when I jumped into the deep end of the DE shaving pool. Now I've accumulated four additional razors, more than one-thousand DE razor blades, eleven shave creams/soaps, matching and non-matching aftershaves, a few bowls and brushes as well. All in the last two months.

If things are fading in the DE shaving arena, I didn't get the message.

Here are my thoughts.

1) The DE razor market was never big. We have always been a niche market. I have no doubt that there are people who were DE shaving five years ago that have quit and gone back to cartridge razors. By the same token, there are others who have quit cartridge razors and come over to the DE side. I don't have the numbers but my guess is that the market size probably hasn't decreased much, if at all, in the past five years.
2) Given that this is a niche market, why would anybody want to make and sell DE razors for a living? Well, because although the market is relatively small, there is a subset of that market that is made up of collectors and hobbyists whla re willing to spend quite a bit of money on new razors.
3) So why are some razor makers shutting their doors? My guess is that once it was discovered that there were people willing to part with large sums of money for new and attractive razors, a bunch of people decided to take a shot at this market. After a while, this produced a bit of a glut of new razor manufacturers, so the supply outpaced the demand. It also became harder for a razor maker to differentiate itself from all the other razor makers. Then came global problems that increased costs, too, making the razor business less profitable on a unit-by-unit basis unless prices were increased. Ultimately, this led to the closing of some razor manufacturers.

Vendors, sites, and producers come, go, stay, and change. I've seen some makers drift into the background, some have closed up shop, but there are other new ones and some expanding.

My overall sense is things are stable over the last few years overall, but not static.

The marketing of cartridges means most young men are totally oblivious to DE and SE razors and blades. I mean really, when the local drugstores only stock cartridges, why would young men even be aware of something like a Schick or 3-piece razor?

In terms of going out of business or fading from the marketplace, Lambda out of Greece and GreenCut out of Austria would probably disagree!

With the focus on ESG, I am surprised TikTok and other social media and green extremists aren't looking at DE and SE razors and hard soaps.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In each case, the answer is...

It ebbs and flows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom