What's new

Dorm room - Coffee / Tea preparation

Get a french press for coffee. Quick, easy and so much better than instant that you're comparing apples to slime molds.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Get a french press for coffee. Quick, easy and so much better than instant that you're comparing apples to slime molds.
I would agree with this. Although I don't use my FP as often anymore, the coffee taste is much better and it is simple, and quick.

as for instant coffee I've tried Folgers and Nescafe and both IMO tasted like garbage.

Starbucks VIA Iced Coffee however was pretty darn good. But for an every day drink it's expensive. 6 packets are around $7. But it is good instant coffee.

They also make non-iced as well in the VIA kind, mocha and carmel come to mind. I've tried the carmel and it was pretty good as well.

I would agree with this. Although I don't use my FP as often anymore, the coffee taste is much better and it is simple, and quick.

as for instant coffee I've tried Folgers and Nescafe and both IMO tasted like garbage.

Starbucks VIA Iced Coffee however was pretty darn good. But for an every day drink it's expensive. 6 packets are around $7. But it is good instant coffee.

They also make non-iced as well in the VIA kind, mocha and carmel come to mind. I've tried the carmel and it was pretty good as well.

I'd agree with the FP idea but alas I am not entirely sure if I will have the room. After all it is three of us in an 8x10 cell, I mean room (ha!) and this is really just for on the go... So keep the instant ideas coming :D Thanks for the suggestion though!

Pricey, but you could get one of those single cup Keurig machines. Instant and many flavors available. Although a bit pricey per cup.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think an Aeropress is perfect for coffee for one. Far far better than any instant I've tasted and close to as quick as instant.

Of the commonly found grocery store instant coffees I rate them in this order from best to worst:

1. Nescafe
  2. Folgers (close 2nd)
  3. Maxwell House (actually much lower down on the list)
Those are just my personal preferences, you might enjoy different characteristics about them. I drink my coffee black and could never enjoy Maxwell House instant, but I could imagine that someone who drinks their coffee with milk and/or sugar might actually prefer it. Nescafe and Folgers are different from each other but are generally okay.

As with roasted coffee, getting a fresh jar will also enhance the flavor. You don't want to buy a supersize jar that is near the end of its shelf life and then drink it all semester/year. It will get more stale.

Starbucks Via or other single serving pouches can be even better. But those are more expensive and not a good fit for a college student budget.

If your dorm floor grants access to a stove-top, or you're allowed to bring a hot-plate or portable stove-top, a moki pot provides a cup of coffee vastly superior to any instant I've ever had.

I'd just start drinking tea if, for some reason, instant coffee was my only option. There are so many delicious teas out there. Instant coffee is so, so gross. But, then again, if you're even considering instant coffee, you probably aren't a typical coffee snoot like me and maybe that's just right up your alley. Anyway, tea is your friend.

imleftyoureright has the right idea, and as the Bodum Travel Press appears to be sold out in both models, many other college students do as well:

http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/11057-01BUS/

This is the optimal solution for living in halls/dorms. You will need an electric kettle for tea anyway, so it is worth the space. You are much more likely to make yourself a cup in your room on a regular basis as opposed to utilising the microwave for the occasional ramen.

And please, please do not even consider instant. It is really inhumane.

A moka is another brilliant option; I have an electric moka (essentially a moka with built-in hotplate) that served me very well throughout my MA. The Bialetti is rather expensive, but I have a generic model that has yet to fail.

If you will have a hot-plate, you may want to look into Turkish/Greek style coffee. A single-serving maker (Cezve) is around $6 and measures about 2.75 inches tall, 2.5 diameter and 4 inch handle.
$123403.jpg

I'd recommend an electric kettle and the Aeropress. Many (most?) dorms will forbid hotplates as a fire hazard. Also, cleanup of the Aeropress is a snap--pop the puck out the bottom and a quick rinse (or even just a wipe with a paper towel) will do. Cleaning a French Press in a dorm bathroom (if there isn't a hall kitchen) would be a pain (and I'd probably break it on the sink faucet within a week).

The Aeropress is also very forgiving of grind, and even a blade grinder works fine with it.

Sadly enough I was actually thinking that those heaters out of MREs would make a nice easy instant brew lol... yum... magnesium...

A pound of coffee from a local roaster or shipped to you from gocoffeego.com ~$17. Something to heat water in ~ $10 for a fixed temp kettle. A grinder $20 I like my hario but the Whirly blade at the grocery store may be cheaper. A bodum travel press which you can drink out of but I just use for making coffee when travelling and pour into a regular cup $13. Finally a tea sampler from uptontea.com and a single serve tea kettle from teavana or adagio $20. And you are set. You could use the French press for tea but I would worry about flavored getting a bit muddled.

I think if you make really good coffee at home you probably won't buy as much out if what you can make tastes better than what you can buy. It's also a lot cheaper. i.e. the Keurig; cheap to buy but a pods are expensive.

I used a cafetière when I lived in a dorm room. But IIRC most of my caffeine intake happened during the day at university :wink2:

Actually a cafetière delivers quality coffee, when you use a coarse ground roast. It won't work with the fine grind meant for drip filter coffee makers.

A travel press is awesome. I've got an out of production liquid solutions 550 ml double walled lexan travel press with a screw on top that's actually leakproof. It's been to three continents, a war zone, and a lot of time in the woods. And I have a 1L Proctor Silex water heater

Cleaning a FP? Rinse the grounds into the toilet, and clean the rest in the sink or shower as nessesary. That assumes you aren't walking down the hall to a communal bathroom.

http://www.liquid-solutions.com/brewingsystems.html

Top Bottom