What's new

Dorco Prime

B

Barney14

My first shave with this blade was smooth and trouble free, the second was a different affair, like using a broken bottle, anybody else had the same experience.

I used one today for its fourth shave. It was, maybe not quite as close as the first, but definitely just as smooth. I routinely get five shaves out of a Dorco Prime.

My first shave with this blade was smooth and trouble free, the second was a different affair, like using a broken bottle, anybody else had the same experience.
Unless many others are having a similar experience, with a difference you seem to be describing as quite huge, I'd be tempted to examine if there were inadvertent differences in prep or technique.

B

Barney14

Unless many others are having a similar experience, with a difference you seem to be describing as quite huge, I'd be tempted to examine if there were inadvertent differences in prep or technique.

Same prep everything 100% as the 1st shave

I find that when I think I have a bad blade, or the performance of my blade has suddenly dropped off a cliff, it's usually a problem with my lather for that particular shave. On subsequent shaves, if my lather is good, the bum blade suddenly starts to work better again.

Have you noticed this problem with any other blades, or just the Dorco?

I used one today for its fourth shave. It was, maybe not quite as close as the first, but definitely just as smooth. I routinely get five shaves out of a Dorco Prime.
This for me. Love my Prime, Dorco Prime Time, BABY!!!!

B

Barney14

I find that when I think I have a bad blade, or the performance of my blade has suddenly dropped off a cliff, it's usually a problem with my lather for that particular shave. On subsequent shaves, if my lather is good, the bum blade suddenly starts to work better again.

Have you noticed this problem with any other blades, or just the Dorco?

Everything was good, same prep, same cream and brush.

I got 89 shaves on the one I tried. Would have gotten more but I managed to crack the edge while cleaning soap scum off of it and it started randomly snagging on my face.

I would think that a radical change from one shave to the next indicates damage to the edge somehow.

The Primes are surprisingly good blades for me, way better than other Dorco that I have tried.

It's a mystery. Everyone seems to like the Dorco Primes, but they just didn't work for me. I bought something like 50 or 60 and had to get rid of them. I really think that I gave them a fair trial.

I had always resisted trying Dorco blades based on the expectation that they would not be sharp enough for my beard. However, after some reading some reviews of the Dorco Prime Platinum blades another forum member sent me several blades to test. If found them to be both sharp and smooth, so I ordered another 100 blades. I have not yet tried the sblades in my full range of razors from a very mild VDH TTO (Tech clone) to the aggressive R41, but they work quite well in mid-moderate razors like the EJ DE89. I get about three shaves from a DE blade before it becomes either too dull for my beard or too rough for my skin. This pattern seems to hold for the Dorco Prime Platinums as well.

Mine are from Vietnam as well. The Korean blades are older, I believe, but they've also received good reviews on this board. When I first bought the Dorco Primes in my blade stash, which was right around the time of the change in manufacturing locations, I was hoping for Korean blades and was disappointed when the Vietnamese blades showed up. The Vietnamese blades do seem to shave well, but I've never tried the Korean blades.

It's a mystery. Everyone seems to like the Dorco Primes, but they just didn't work for me. I bought something like 50 or 60 and had to get rid of them. I really think that I gave them a fair trial.

Not everyone. It's a decent blade, but nothing special IMO. Since I have an extremely handsome face I prefer to baby it with top shelf Gillette blades. ;) :D

I got 89 shaves on the one I tried. Would have gotten more but I managed to crack the edge while cleaning soap scum off of it and it started randomly snagging on my face.

I would think that a radical change from one shave to the next indicates damage to the edge somehow.

Either you missed a hyphen or you found the eternal blade.

Top Bottom