What's new

How to construct a blade rating criteria

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Derby Extra kept me shaving and were worlds better than Dorco! I still have some around. :)
I recently gave all my Derby Extra, Derby Premium, Astra SP, Astra SS, Laser Ultra, and Shark SS blades away. I have no reason to keep them in my den and I'm glad someone else can enjoy them. :)

I recently gave all my Derby Extra, Derby Premium, Astra SP, Astra SS, Laser Ultra, and Shark SS blades away. I have no reason to keep them in my den and I'm glad someone else can enjoy them. :)
Agree with you on giving these away, I can’t comfortably face shave with them. I assume you need sharper blades, too.

It’s tough to evaluate that many blades with only one of each.
Will you use only one razor? One soap? I’ve found different razors like different blades.
My hat’s off to you and I look forward to your evaluations. Your posts will make for interesting reading.😊
One razor, a 2021 King C Gillette. I love mine and have relegated all of my other razors to storage under the sink since buying it, so I've been using it every day for 18 months +. I figure it is a razor that is as close to universally liked, or at least tolerated, as you can get. Soap is Arko I got for Christmas. I got 2 pucks so those should last a good long time and more is relatively cheap. Also same badger brush the whole time.

The problem with rating blades is that you need a razor to make it work, and razors are all over the place in terms of blade feel, gaps, angles, you name it.

I ultimately returned to cartridges because I tired of the DE runaround. If you have countless hours on your hands, knock your socks off.

It’s tough to evaluate that many blades with only one of each.
Will you use only one razor? One soap? I’ve found different razors like different blades.
My hat’s off to you and I look forward to your evaluations. Your posts will make for interesting reading.😊
Same razor, King C Gillette (modern), same brush (I bought the Badger knot and the handle and did my own gluing, and same soap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is my simple way of rating my blades but I do not have many so it works(KISS= Keep It Simple Shaving!).
I like blades that are just transitioning over to the Sharpest side but are still mainly in sharp & smooth column for a good balanced blade characteristics I enjoy the most.
It is like a moving target because everyone is different + opinionated when it comes to shaving and seek different strengths of a blade in sharpness to smoothness from reactions to my blade placements on photo chart.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom