What's new

Dollar store Assured shaving brush

We really need an engineer type person to figure out how to fray the tips of those bristles!

Believe it or not such equipment exists. I call on a brush company that mostly makes brushes for cleaning scientific instruments although he makes brushes for many other applications as well. No shaving brushes though. Several of the brushes he makes feature frayed ends. Depending on the application, some of the brushes have very fluffy tips.

Although it might help a nylon bristled brush, I'm still not sure if I would want to lather with one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Believe it or not such equipment exists. I call on a brush company that mostly makes brushes for cleaning scientific instruments although he makes brushes for many other applications as well. No shaving brushes though. Several of the brushes he makes feature frayed ends. Depending on the application, some of the brushes have very fluffy tips.

Although it might help a nylon bristled brush, I'm still not sure if I would want to lather with one.
Wow! This is so amazing to me.

There is truly a fulfillment for every need!

I just threw out a Van Der Hagen brush . Was losing hairs faster than the hairs on my head. Bought a synthetic from WCS , love it.

While my VDH does shed some every few uses, I think the brush makes a great lather, and it's not horrible by any stretch. It doesn't shed nearly as much as my Omega 81052.
It has bloomed very nicely.

(My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but...)

I was at the Dollar Tree with my daughter tonight, and she spied these brushes!! She had just purchased Moon Soaps Shaving Cream Amaretto Speciale (which smells absolutely amazing, think coconut cream pie with a hint of cherry almond!!). She purchased one and I did too (the black handled version). For a $1, why not?!? After all, I'm a member of @GlazedBoker's $1 No-Fear Razor Gang, a survivor of @DCRIII's Graham Field Tear Your Face Apart with TBFH Dare, and @Toothpick's 20 of the World's Worst Blades Invitational; so I can be convinced to try just about anything. Gonna give it a try tomorrow morning.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
(My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but...)

I was at the Dollar Tree with my daughter tonight, and she spied these brushes!! She had just purchased Moon Soaps Shaving Cream Amaretto Speciale (which smells absolutely amazing, think coconut cream pie with a hint of cherry almond!!). She purchased one and I did too (the black handled version). For a $1, why not?!? After all, I'm a member of @GlazedBoker's $1 No-Fear Razor Gang, a survivor of @DCRIII's Graham Field Tear Your Face Apart with TBFH Dare, and @Toothpick's 20 of the World's Worst Blades Invitational; so I can be convinced to try just about anything. Gonna give it a try tomorrow morning.
You are a glutton for punishment! Looking forward to the review

Interesting... My mother sent me one of those brushes (only mine had a red handle) and one of the one dollar razors mentioned shortly after the original post. They're both poor quality, but I pretended to be excited as I appreciated her taking interest in my hobby.

The blade gap on that one dollar DE is very aggressive.

Interesting... My mother sent me one of those brushes (only mine had a red handle) and one of the one dollar razors mentioned shortly after the original post. They're both poor quality, but I pretended to be excited as I appreciated her taking interest in my hobby.

The blade gap on that one dollar DE is very aggressive.

I would grab one of these brushes if I could find them at my Dollar Tree. I have a similar Park Avenue brush from India with the fishing-line bristles and I find it sort of charming in its own way for the occasional shave.

The Park Avenue brush lathers mass-market Indian shaving creams just fine, so that's what I use it with, along with a Gillette Guard. Good shaves! Might even bust it out tonight.

Curious to know how this Assured brush does.

Feeling brave and a bit adventurous, I used my Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush...and lived to tell the tale!! This brush has excellent backbone...I mean, world-class backbone...which makes for excellent whipping up of lather...but not very nice when applying the lather to my tender cheeks and neck. Those bristles DO NOT BEND!! However, it wasn't impossible to slather lather although I could only use painting strokes.

I soaked the Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush in very hot water and smeared about 1/2 an almond sized scoop of CTS Mr Pepper Shave Soap in my Official Dollar Tree Exclusive 2-For-$1 Salsa Bowl. After giving the Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush a modest shake (ok, full disclosure, I'm copy and pasting that so I don't have to keep retyping "Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush") and began to whip up a good amount of lather.

The evidence below testifies that this little, but capable Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush can get the job done!

The Bad News is that the Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush lost 4 bristles during the unpacking and another 6 bristles during this shave; so I'm estimating that it has about 12 - 15 uses before it goes completely bald.

AssuredBrush_1_of_2.jpg
AssuredBrush_2_of_2.jpg

...The Bad News is that the Official Dollar Tree Exclusive $1 Assured Shave Brush lost 4 bristles during the unpacking and another 6 bristles during this shave; so I'm estimating that it has about 12 - 15 uses before it goes completely bald.
Darn! That's disappointing, but you can't argue with that lather. I think I would still pick one up for the fun of it; even the Assured safety razor was passable when I tried it out. Worth the buck at least. Thanks for letting us know!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
That lather looks quite good! Now you have to use it every day for 6 months and let us know if it breaks in. LOL

Top Bottom