What's new

Dollar store Assured shaving brush

We really need an engineer type person to figure out how to fray the tips of those bristles!
Magnifying glass & a razor blade. Split each bristle one at a time. It keeps you from getting too many brushes that way.

And by the way, I really like your avatar, Floyd the Barber. Great choice!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Magnifying glass & a razor blade. Split each bristle one at a time. It keeps you from getting too many brushes that way.

And by the way, I really like your avatar, Floyd the Barber. Great choice!
Lol, thank you! You have given me the only feedback on my choice so far!

He was ALWAYS my favorite character on that show. Perhaps he influenced my choice in a first career, subconsciously?

At any rate, perhaps my next avatar will be Florence Nightingale?

Guess how I captured that image of Floyd? The Andy Griffith show popped up while channel surfing and I captured it on my cell phone!

Lol, thank you! You have given me the only feedback on my choice so far!

He was ALWAYS my favorite character on that show. Perhaps he influenced my choice in a first career, subconsciously?

At any rate, perhaps my next avatar will be Florence Nightingale?

Guess how I captured that image of Floyd? The Andy Griffith show popped up while channel surfing and I captured it on my cell phone!
The picture is so clear, amazing. If I took a picture of my tv screen it would have wavy lines all thru it.

You left the door wide open with one of your comments... what was your first career?

FarmerTan

The picture is so clear, amazing. If I took a picture of my tv screen it would have wavy lines all thru it.

You left the door wide open with one of your comments... what was your first career?
My first profession was as a Cosmetologist, at 17 years of age. Self trained as a Barber. Still pay for a license, no idea why, call it nostalgia.

Went back to skool at 40ish to be a nurse. Lol, life is what happens when you are busy making plans!

Thanks for taking one for the team. Someone had to try it. Is the handle useable for a re-knot?

Maybe. I'm not 100% sure you could get the old knot out without splitting the handle, and even if you could I'm not sure I would put in the effort except just for the exercise. It's not an uncomfortable handle to hold by any means, but it was cheaply made.

Can someone (okay, anyone but me, cuz I am THAT shtoopid!) please link that 1000+ post thread about the Assured Razor and the Yellow paper wrapped blades that came with it? There was originally 12 of us brave souls. Then a WHOLE BUNCH of otherwise normal fellows paid a dollar to be tortured!

What was so bad about it? I tested the blades it came with when I had a sharpness tester and they were as sharp or sharper than feathers.

FarmerTan

What was so bad about it? I tested the blades it came with when I had a sharpness tester and they were as sharp or sharper than feathers.
I think it was the combination of the razor with the blades for me. Not sure if I ever did try the blades in another razor.

It really wasn't bad for a buck. Maybe even two dollars! But 3 bucks would be pushing it!

I bought an Assured razor for travel use. Right away, the lack of quality was evident. The electroplate was flaking off and the blade gap looked like a topographical profile of the Rocky Mountains. Surprisingly, the first shave was not too bad (with an Astra SP).

However, on the second shave, both doors fell off... Zing! Straight into the recycle bin!

That was a perfect example of what many people in the $1 Razor Challenge experienced: Half-decent performance marred by sloppy fit and finish due to non-existent quality control.

Maybe. I'm not 100% sure you could get the old knot out without splitting the handle, and even if you could I'm not sure I would put in the effort except just for the exercise. It's not an uncomfortable handle to hold by any means, but it was cheaply made.
The knot on one I got was very easy to get out.. I opened the package took brush out of package and looked at brush and knot fell completely out...:)
I would put a new knot in it but haven't found one small enough.

I received two of these as a gag gift. They're available in red, blue, black, or white. Everything is the same except the handle color. I got the blue and white versions.

These are the worst brushes I've ever used. If you're in Dollar Tree and want to try a cheap brush, go to the cosmetics section and get yourself an Assured Kabuki Brush. It has a black plastic handle with a metal band, and is easily better than these "shaving brushes".
Yeah, it's for make-up, but your face will thank you.

FarmerTan

I received two of these as a gag gift. They're available in red, blue, black, or white. Everything is the same except the handle color. I got the blue and white versions.

These are the worst brushes I've ever used. If you're in Dollar Tree and want to try a cheap brush, go to the cosmetics section and get yourself an Assured Kabuki Brush. It has a black plastic handle with a metal band, and is easily better than these "shaving brushes".
I've seen those and wondered about that!

Lol, the above was the weirdest sentence I've written all day. I think!?!?

The offending brushes are on the left. The black one is MUCH better if you want a $1 brush.
Lighter for size reference. Don't smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_082358.jpg
    IMG_20201001_082358.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I'm not sure if it's good or bad that you can get a wet-shaving setup for less than five bucks.
Shaving brush, DE razor with 5 blades, glycerin soap, and aftershave can all be found at Dollar Tree. If you really want to splurge, get a $1 hand towel while you're there.

I remember my first synthetic brush about 6 or 7 years ago. Wow, that thing turned me of to synthetics for quite sometime. It wasn't until I received a Razorock Monster in a PIF that I began to change my mind on synths. This ugly brush would send me away again!

I remember my first synthetic brush about 6 or 7 years ago. Wow, that thing turned me of to synthetics for quite sometime. It wasn't until I received a Razorock Monster in a PIF that I began to change my mind on synths. This ugly brush would send me away again!

Honestly, it's serviceable if you have nothing else. I say it's the worst brush I've ever used (and I stand by that) but for someone who knows NOTHING about brushes, it can be made to work.

Top Bottom