What's new

Does your spouse / partner support your shaving mania?

Sharing the passion?

• My partner / spouse shares or supports my shaving passion

• My partner / spouse is neutral or disinterested in the whole shaving thing

• My partner / spouse is negative and thinks it's strange and a waste of money

Results are only viewable after voting.
Being single, I have nobody to shout at me about the obsession, just a bunch of college buddies who mock me for not using a fusion and goo. The fools

My wife is pretty neutral/indifferent towards the whole deal. Other than the occasional, "Are you on that damn "badger shaving" site again?!?" ...hehe.

I took up Linux and C/C++ programming as a means to take the heat off of this place...

...I keed, I keed!

:biggrin:

The Mrs supports it as it's nice that I can shave and have no burn, itch, irritation and so on, and I've just bought her a DE razor so she can join in too!

Still, I have to say if my bathroom counter started to pile up with any more stuff, I'd probably hear about it. :biggrin:

Amusingly, I did spend a week telling my wife about the new knot I discovered for my shoelaces. The woman was even able to smile about that.

Needless to say, she accepts hearing about DE wet-shaving every single day of the week with nothing short of grace and poise. :biggrin:

As for the new knot, I use a surgeon's knot on my shoelaces, have taught it to my family and to anyone who cares to listen. A friend who was a high school band parent taught it to the marching band and now they all use it.

What's good about it? First of all, it's easy to tie. Second, It absolutely will not come undone. Ever. (Surgeon's knot, remember?) The laws of physics absolutely prevent this knot from coming undone. and lastly, when you want to undo it, it does so in a flash, much easier than a regular knot. So considering items one, two and three, this is the knot to go with.

I guess I am lucky in the fact that my wife doesn't give me any grief what so ever over my AD's. She does laugh at me on occasion, but thats the extent of it.

My ex girlfriend thought it was amusing/annoying. She said i spent longer in the bathroom than her, i said i smelled nicer than her. It was a beautiful relationship.

And now i'm single. I still smell nice, though.

The "Ian" knot?

I tried that one, but dexterity is not my strong point. It was actually the double slipknot, which I guess also goes by the name "Ian's secure knot". I used that guy's site to lace all my shoes though, double helix lacing is extremely efficient.

Edit (I have to read everything before I reply :blush:):
As for the new knot, I use a surgeon's knot on my shoelaces, have taught it to my family and to anyone who cares to listen. A friend who was a high school band parent taught it to the marching band and now they all use it.

What's good about it? First of all, it's easy to tie. Second, It absolutely will not come undone. Ever. (Surgeon's knot, remember?) The laws of physics absolutely prevent this knot from coming undone. and lastly, when you want to undo it, it does so in a flash, much easier than a regular knot. So considering items one, two and three, this is the knot to go with.

I'm a big fan of the surgeon knot too. I thought I was doing it properly for years, but I was going left over right both times, so the laces kept coming undone. Now I do the starter knot (or whatever it's called) right over left and the surgeon's knot left over right. Still, you should give the double slipknot a try, your laces won't even loosen without extra force. :biggrin:

No support whatsoever, and a constant stream of encouragement to get rid of most of it. "It takes too long", "You have too much stuff", etc. The only positive was when I bought the Georgetown scuttle, simply because she likes Georgetown Pottery. :rolleyes:

I am relatively new to B&B and, so far, my wife has been very supportive. I frequent the local antique stores looking for razors and other than the occassional teasing, she is ok with it. Other than RAD, I have tried hard to keep any other AD in check, so I think that helps.

My wife is supportive of my hobby as she enjoys the smooth feel of my cheeks and she understands the whole collector mentality. You should see her collection of Kewpies. :eek: She does, however, frown sometimes when I mention trying any other aftershaves-- but that's mainly because I'm slowly taking over all the horizontal surfaces in our small bathroom. Bless her though, because she does feign interest whenever I get new razor. :001_smile

She gives me a hard time here or there, but overall seems to be supportive. She has no idea though how much any of this stuff has cost me which helps my cause :biggrin:

We are in the middle of remodelling the bathroom that is my shave den. The wife is shocked to see my shave stuff;:eek: well at least the portion that is in regular rotation...:biggrin:

This is the same woman who can't understand why I need more than one fountain pen or one guitar or one...:blush:

After reading all of these and laughing my *** off because I can relate...my wife takes in a deep breath and rolls her eyes when a new packege comes in the mail...I look at her and shrug my sholders and say "what"?...like i accidently ordered the stuff and its not my fault...and I also say "but Brooklyn (my 2yo little girl) likes to shave with me "...like thats going to help. So to answer the question if I had 1 razor, 1 cream, and 1 a/s, maybe she would be ok...but with all the stuff I have (which is NOTHING compared to some of you guys)the answer is NO!:a45:

I'm not a psychologist, nor I'm married but I think generally men and women don't tend to share same interests. Especially when it's shaving. Do You show any interest in her lipsticks? I don't think so.
Another thing is that any woman need to see strength and protection in a man. Women need to feel safe and secure behind their men, so overly exaggerated interest in personal grooming is not reinforcing that feeling. It's stereotypical that man shouldn't be considered about his looks very much. Men should be manly. And unusally strong interest in creams and soaps is not helping a whole lot. Most women see and compare You to their fathers, and I doubt mahy of them showed as much interst in personal grooming as modern men do. So women tend to think of you as a girly man or gay. In todays world of quick shave with can of foam and a Bic disposable this interest of yours is highly unusual for any unsuspecting women. You always gonna carry this weird stigma, because let's be honest most regular men do not have shaving as a hobby. It's usually something more manly, like sports, cars, model airplanes, etc. The best You can do is to try to sell it as a hobby, but still don't expect any understanding or approval. Deep down inside most women will not be impressed with that. No offense to anybody but this is my take on it.

My wife is great. She goes with me to the antique stores and acts as a second pair of eyes - though I'm still training her in her ability to spot good razors. Also, she has joined the ranks of DE shavers with her own Lady Gillette in blue - she absolutely loves it. And if that wasn't enough, she encourages me to find new scents of soap with fragrances she might like on me. What a gal!

BJC

At first my wife was pretty happy about the idea as when we first met I was always scruffy looking from not wanting to shave. She even got me to shave off the goatee because my face was always so smooth. Now, things have started to swing the other way of why do you need more shave creams, soaps, blades, razors, mugs...etc. So, I am hearing you guys on the rolled eyes and weird looks. Granted for the trouble she is one of kind and I think I will keep her. :001_smile

Top Bottom