What's new

Does your spouse / partner support your shaving mania?

Sharing the passion?

• My partner / spouse shares or supports my shaving passion

• My partner / spouse is neutral or disinterested in the whole shaving thing

• My partner / spouse is negative and thinks it's strange and a waste of money

Results are only viewable after voting.
... I think generally men and women don't tend to share same interests ... any woman need to see strength and protection in a man. Women need to feel safe and secure behind their men ... Men should be manly ... Most women see and compare You to their fathers ...

How would her father or a manly man navigate the relationship of marriage?

full

Is her standing behind you what you want or need?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My GF actually has bought me most of my stuff. Christmas of
'06 she got me Muhle Pinsel badger brush and a stand. A week before that, for my bday she got me a Merkur HD and Proraso products: Cream, ASB and Pre-Post. (Before that I had been using Tom's of Maine, Tweezerman brush and a Fatboy that I found at a thrift store for $5.00). Since then she's gotten me some after shaves and creams just because:smile:

I'm not a psychologist, nor I'm married but I think generally men and women don't tend to share same interests. Especially when it's shaving. Do You show any interest in her lipsticks? I don't think so.
Another thing is that any woman need to see strength and protection in a man. Women need to feel safe and secure behind their men, so overly exaggerated interest in personal grooming is not reinforcing that feeling. It's stereotypical that man shouldn't be considered about his looks very much. Men should be manly. And unusally strong interest in creams and soaps is not helping a whole lot. Most women see and compare You to their fathers, and I doubt mahy of them showed as much interst in personal grooming as modern men do. So women tend to think of you as a girly man or gay. In todays world of quick shave with can of foam and a Bic disposable this interest of yours is highly unusual for any unsuspecting women. You always gonna carry this weird stigma, because let's be honest most regular men do not have shaving as a hobby. It's usually something more manly, like sports, cars, model airplanes, etc. The best You can do is to try to sell it as a hobby, but still don't expect any understanding or approval. Deep down inside most women will not be impressed with that. No offense to anybody but this is my take on it.

Perhaps when you are married, you'll understand it a little better. :wink:

Of course she's not going to share all your interests, the real question is whether she will support you in having them. My wife couldn't care less what I do to the computers, as long as she can still get online when I'm done. She's given up the television for an insane amount of hours while I tried getting the media center working. Does she directly care about any of that? No, but she is happy that I'm happy.

I think that if a man is defined by his hobbies the world needs to grow up a bit. I don't care if someone thinks I'm gay or unmanly because I like to look good and really don't care about sports or cars, but it does worry me that they're unable to look past it.

My GF actually has bought me most of my stuff. Christmas of
'06 she got me Muhle Pinsel badger brush and a stand. A week before that, for my bday she got me a Merkur HD and Proraso products: Cream, ASB and Pre-Post. (Before that I had been using Tom's of Maine, Tweezerman brush and a Fatboy that I found at a thrift store for $5.00). Since then she's gotten me some after shaves and creams just because:smile:

Does She have a sister? :lol:

I'm not going to answer the poll because my answer doesn't neatly fit in any of the categories, my wife is somewhere between first and second answer, she supports my new "hobby", and in fact is starting to use the pink ladies gillette I was able to get for her {now if I could just find a 2nd qtr 1958 (D 2) for my dad hint hint}, especially the savings in blades vs. cartridges, and she likes the quality of my shaves better. So, she's more in the first category, but but isn't necessarily as involved.
She's definitely supportive, but has been known to roll her eyes from time to time (that instability of same chromosomes is to blame, I reckon)
Just like everything else I do, shaving, computers, yard work, she's less interested in the method or material, but loves the end results

my gf went out and bought me a mercur futur, for $200...:eek:
then i sent her back to return it while i bought it online for a reasonable price:blush:

also, just a question, but what on earth sounds more "manly" than putting a very sharp piece of metal (dare i call it a "knife") to your own throat?

Perhaps when you are married, you'll understand it a little better. :wink:

Of course she's not going to share all your interests, the real question is whether she will support you in having them. My wife couldn't care less what I do to the computers, as long as she can still get online when I'm done. She's given up the television for an insane amount of hours while I tried getting the media center working. Does she directly care about any of that? No, but she is happy that I'm happy.

I think that if a man is defined by his hobbies the world needs to grow up a bit. I don't care if someone thinks I'm gay or unmanly because I like to look good and really don't care about sports or cars, but it does worry me that they're unable to look past it.

I do understand that it's nice to have a support from your loved one. It's not that hard to figure out. But there is a fine line somwhere in between traditional perception of manliness and feminine. And some of you seem to be crossing that line, which is pretty typical in todays modern industrialized society. Sometimes it becomes more vogue to recognize who is who.

Computers and media centers percieved as a man interests. Soaps and creams aren't. In short, I don't blame some wifes for not supporting such hobbie, I personally don't think it's right either. But again IMHO.

Lol...chalk another one up for the liberties of being single.

I can get whatever I want. This is of course staying within my own budget of "toys/want" money that I establish for myself.

And so far so good. :biggrin:

Lol...chalk another one up for the liberties of being single.

I can get whatever I want....

Me too! At the moment SWMBO is my cat, but that means obeying when it comes to food and sleeping arrangements (and when I stay out too late I get yelled at) - sound familiar?

My cat is rather interested in my badger brushes, does this count?

If you eat - you should be able to shop, cook and clean.
If you prefer clothes to going naked you need to be able to make, shop for and repair clothing.
We all need to provide shelter and know how to clean and maintain a safe habitat.
If you ride a bicycle or drive a car you need to be able to fix a flat tire or at least change one.
If you are older than 5 year of age you need to lean to earn, count, save and spend money.
Creatures with brains are either fully educated or stunted in their true nature. etc etc

Self grooming and the grooming of others is a skill all primates have innately.
A monkey can do it and learns by imitation.
Insects just do it.

These are all basic life skills (and for humans, any of them might be elevated to craft art).

If you lack any of them you are in that area - retarded in your development.

If you can't cook, clean, care for yourself and make your way in the world you have work to do and things to learn.

Not one of the above requires the use of the genitals (male or female).

To divide life skills into categories - by gender - is to confuse which tool is for which task.

If you interpret life and the world with sexist "crotch thought" you will remain confused, ineffectual and isolated. Your thinking needs to be elevated above the belt, as it were.

When an adult parent dies the "adult" children and spouse grieve the loss and carry on with their lives.

How often do we see a wife and mother die and the husband have great difficulty adjusting in ways reminiscent of one abandoned - an orphaned child.

Celebrate the fact your wife knows better than you - about getting the car fixed, or how the fuse box works etc. It is your lack of skills in the kitchen and with the children that will put you at "grave" risk.

Even a king is born naked, often remains without clothes and is the last to see it is so.

Your parents either a) teach you to navigate the world or b) inherit their throne.

If you didn't get a) you've got less than every child needs and deserves.
- and that is true if you are male or female.

Giddyup

Top Bottom