What's new

Does you DE shave with both hands?

Do you DE shave using both hands?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
In an effort to improve your shave do you switch between hands as you shave the opposite side of your face? For example when making an east-west pass one might want to switch hands as they switch cheeks in order to keep their wrist and attack angle more consistent. Many do this when shaving with a straight, but given how easy it is to maneuver a safety razor I suspect most do not.

I did not realize how valuable of a skill this might be until the threads on my 3-piece travel razor stripped and I was left literally holding the razor head by the screw threads. I could only dare to make a north-south pass while trying to keep enough pressure on the base plate so that the blade was properly sandwiched in the head. But that was difficult to do on the neckline, shaving the left side with my right hand was manageable but it was very difficult to repeat on the right side under the jaw.

I'd opt for spending 10cents in your situation on a disposable razor until I could get mine fixed or replaced (or grab one of many spares in my shave 'den').

I did buy another razor for the next shave, but at the time it happened that was not an option.

The razor which failed was the Ying JiLi, a very cheap Gillette Tech clone. I typically unscrew the razor after each use to clear out any trapped soap. Which no doubt accelerated the wear and tear but it only had about 30 shaves in total. None of my much more heavily used Gillette or Merkur razors have shown similar wear. So while the Ying JiLi copy is a nice mild shaver, it should be treated a lot like a disposable. I will carry my travel tech or plastic clik razor next time.
proxy.php

proxy.php

No, I keep my razor in my right hand throughout the shave. Will be interested to see what others do.

I use 2 hands but not with the razor, which is what I understood was the intent of your question. My right hand always holds the razors, sometimes I pull my skin tight across my cheeks, hold my nose to the side, feel my face for rough spots, etc. with my left.
Steve

Not with a safety. I've tried it a few times, but find it's easier to work around awkward angles with my dominate hand than train my non-dominate, even on the head. With a straight or shavette I do most with the right, but use the left for the lower neck on the right side.

I usually lather up my face, then do the first pass with my right hand. The second pass, I lather up in sections with my right hand & the razor in my left. When I do my head, it's usually entirely with the razor in my right hand.

Straights I swap hands a lot. DE/SE it depends. I don't think about it, but I do notice I swapped hands some mornings, others I don't. I'm fairly ambidextrous at most things, guess this falls into line there.

I do use both hands, but I have ambidextrous tendencies. For example, I write and throw left-handed, but play tennis and golf right-handed. Especially with a safety razor, I like to have a good view in the mirror, which is somewhat blocked when I shave the right side of my face with my left hand.

Top Bottom