What's new

Does titanium rust/stain?

If you leave a blade in a titanium razor and the blade rusts, does it cause the titanium to rust or stain the titanium? If it does stain it can you clean it off easily? I understand titanium doesn’t rust on its own but with something that does in direct contact with it is it possible?

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
This doesn’t answer your question directly, but I had dark staining on my first stainless steel razor because I would only shake the excess water off before putting it in the stand. I’ve since changed to disassembling and drying my razors with a microfiber cloth before putting them back together and in the stand for the next shave. It literally takes a minute. I’ve never understood the refusal by many here to dry their razors. I guess if spots and rust don’t bother you, then roll the dice. But if a nice looking razor means something to you, take the 60 seconds to disassemble and dry it after every shave. Why take the risk of staining your TI razor?

The razor might not be affected by the water but the blade will. I’ve had to change blades in my wife’s razor because she forgets and leaves it in the shower. Her razor had a little stain but the blade was very rusty.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Titanium does not rust, and the rusty color of the blade may still stain the titanium and even your hands or clothing.
But don’t worry, this doesn’t really affect the titanium itself and we can clean it with ease.

If you’re asking this question because you’re looking to buy a titanium razor, enjoy, titanium razors are great.

Here's my take. I'm with @Jay21 on this. Do you take care of your tools? Like woodworking, lawn etc tools? Because if you do, they last. Razors, brushes etc are tools, you look after them they last. Now Ti is quite the metal and you can be fairly cavalier about how you treat it. I don't care for it, preferring SS, brass, bronze etc. So I take the extra seconds to take the razor apart, wipe it down, re-assemble and put back in my rotation. I have a spot for the blades to sit until next shave. You can spend hundreds of dollars on a razor or way less but it remains the same...proper care=long life.

Ti is light, takes abuse, it is difficult to hurt, but some people can destroy anything. Ti is Hard & Light thus it many uses in aircraft.

Titanium does not rust, and the rusty color of the blade may still stain the titanium and even your hands or clothing.
But don’t worry, this doesn’t really affect the titanium itself and we can clean it with ease.

If you’re asking this question because you’re looking to buy a titanium razor, enjoy, titanium razors are great.
Ooo ok when you say easy what do you use? You’re saying the potential staining is superficial and easily removed?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
As I said, this doesn't really affect the titanium itself, the dirt is only on the surface.

It can be removed with an old toothbrush or wipe, just like we usually clean a razor.

You are being overly cautious and tea stains on the blade will not cause difficulty on any razor made of any material - copper/steel, titanium...even zamak.

Ooo ok when you say easy what do you use? You’re saying the potential staining is superficial and easily removed?
If you decide to leave a blade in a razor without disassembling it post shave and drying it, you can only blame yourself for anything that happens to it regardless of what others say!! Sometimes it does stain and sometimes it doesn't but why take the chance?

If you decide to leave a blade in a razor without disassembling it post shave and drying it, you can only blame yourself for anything that happens to it regardless of what others say!! Sometimes it does stain and sometimes it doesn't but why take the chance?
This happen to my Henson Ti22 - The blade rusted and left a stain on the underside of the top cap, initially I assumed that the razor was rusting (there is no iron here duh!) I used an old toothbrush to clean it off, I can still see an impression of it few months later, maybe I'll polish it out someday. I no longer store any of my blades in the razor, either its one-n-done or I keep them back in the paper wrapper

This happen to my Henson Ti22 - The blade rusted and left a stain on the underside of the top cap, initially I assumed that the razor was rusting (there is no iron here duh!) I used an old toothbrush to clean it off, I can still see an impression of it few months later, maybe I'll polish it out someday. I no longer store any of my blades in the razor, either its one-n-done or I keep them back in the paper wrapper
Nothing wrong with one and done as I am one of those that do that but if you clean and dry the razor and blade there is no need to put it back in the wrapper and you could actually put it back in the razor for the next shave comfortably without worry...

Top Bottom