What's new

does this make sense?

I was under the impression that even after you press a french press the coffee can still get bitter if you leave it in the press, same with tea. Would a mug like this work?

proxy.php

http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=168985

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My bs meter pegged.

Stopping the brew process? The grinds are still in the mug, and although the surface area has effectively been minimized, flavors will still leech out into mug.

I have a Bodum mug like this, and I've never noticed any bitterness. I use it mostly for tea, but I think coffee would be the same... The screen acts a barrier. I'm not sure exactly how it's designed, but while you can force fluid through it when you push down on the plunger - fluid won't seep through on it's own. You can turn the mug upside down and fluid beneath the screen won't drain through... So it's conceivable that the screen prevents bitterness by "halting the brewing process."
BTW, I'm surprised, but the Starbucks price for this mug seems pretty reasonable. This is the same price I've seen for the mug from other retailers. I expected Sbux to be more expensive...

I have a Bodum mug like this, and I've never noticed any bitterness. I use it mostly for tea, but I think coffee would be the same... The screen acts a barrier. I'm not sure exactly how it's designed, but while you can force fluid through it when you push down on the plunger - fluid won't seep through on it's own. You can turn the mug upside down and fluid beneath the screen won't drain through... So it's conceivable that the screen prevents bitterness by "halting the brewing process."
BTW, I'm surprised, but the Starbucks price for this mug seems pretty reasonable. This is the same price I've seen for the mug from other retailers. I expected Sbux to be more expensive...

good to hear from someone who has one! it can't hurt picking it up for the price. If I do end up getting it I'll let everyone know how it turns out

good to hear from someone who has one! it can't hurt picking it up for the price. If I do end up getting it I'll let everyone know how it turns out
Micah1_8 has one...I've almost bought one (that Bodum you've shown, in fact) several times, but unless you drink it pretty quickly, you're last drink or 3 may be quite bitter.
Micah enjoys his, though, but he makes his coffee kinda weak, so any extra miniscule steep time won't affect him
I'd think it would work in a rush, though
only one way to know if it will work for you, though...:wink:

With a coarse grind, it won't hurt too terribly much to leave it for a few minutes, but I would NOT want to drink out of it.

The repeated sloshing of the coffee is sure to stir fines into the drinkable liquid, and increase agitation, thus, accelerating the extraction rate.

I would use it as a "travel press", but wouldn't drink from it, but would consider decanting from it.

I am torn, it is getting really mixed reviews. A bunch of people are saying it breaks, gets grinds into the coffee and other things along those lines. I think I'll just get a normal french press and a mug.

does how coarse or fine you grind the coffee do anything but affect a french press and how much junk you get in your coffee?

I cant wait to try the tea bags you are sending so I can stash some tea at work. The tea sticks work great but I want to leave them home so they dont get taken.

M

modern man

If you drink coffee as fast as I do it wont have time to get bitter or you wont have time to taste it. Either way I think a Press Mug is a waste of money.

You could always just take it out of a regular large press and put it in a thermos.

sp Either way I think a Press Mug is a waste of money. You could always just take it out of a regular large press and put it in a thermos.

+1 How pressed (no pun intended) for time are you? Is the four minuets it takes to brew the coffee really going to slow you down enough to put you behind? Slow down, and smell the coffee:thumbup1:

I am torn, it is getting really mixed reviews. A bunch of people are saying it breaks, gets grinds into the coffee and other things along those lines. I think I'll just get a normal french press and a mug.

does how coarse or fine you grind the coffee do anything but affect a french press and how much junk you get in your coffee?

The grind size does little or nothing to affect the amount of sludge. The super fine particles that result in sludge are flat-out unavoidable, even from the priciest grinder.

What it does affect, however, is the rate of extraction. A finer grind requires a reduction in the dwell time for brewing, while a coarser grind requires a longer dwell time for extraction.

There are brew techniques that can increase the clarity of French Press coffee, but some folks don't like that because they think part of the charm is the "rustic" texture (if you want to call it that) that comes along with the brew method.

If you're adding milk or cream that will stop it brewing with the drop in temperature.

This is not really true. It will drop the temperature, and thus, will slow the extraction, but will not stop it entirely.

The sugar and fats in the dairy may help to hide the bitters, however, which might be where this notion comes from. It doesn't hide it for me, but if it does for you, you have an advantage.

This is not really true. It will drop the temperature, and thus, will slow the extraction, but will not stop it entirely.

The sugar and fats in the dairy may help to hide the bitters, however, which might be where this notion comes from. It doesn't hide it for me, but if it does for you, you have an advantage.

for me it hides it for a little while. I don't think I'm going to get one of these. It doesn't save enough time to give it a try with all the bad reviews online. I don't like grinds in my coffee and this press seems to have that problem. So now which press would be a good one to pick up?

Top Bottom