What's new

does this make sense?

for me it hides it for a little while. I don't think I'm going to get one of these. It doesn't save enough time to give it a try with all the bad reviews online. I don't like grinds in my coffee and this press seems to have that problem. So now which press would be a good one to pick up?

Check the other thread in this forum about the Bodum Chambord and two Pavina cups for about $20.00.

That's a killer deal, for a killer press.

Check the other thread in this forum about the Bodum Chambord and two Pavina cups for about $20.00.

That's a killer deal, for a killer press.

I know! I wish I wanted one that big but I feel like anything bigger then 4 cups would be silly for me

I know! I wish I wanted one that big but I feel like anything bigger then 4 cups would be silly for me

You can always brew less or share. And the Chambord is a great press, so one for half the normal price plus a few mugs is hard to pass up. I just ordered one up and there's nothing wrong with my current press. :) I brought my 8-cup to work today and ended up giving away way more than I drank because everyone wanted a cup(and we have an in-house barista and espresso machine). When I'm at home, I often just brew 4-cups worth with it - comes out just as good.

Do you know that those presses are measured in tasse cup sizes. So, an eight cup will only make about four eight ounce cups. I have one in this size and its perfect for two people.

how big is it? the only thing I'm worried about if I pick this one up is I'm bringing it to a dorm and I don't want to waste space on a huge french press. For some reason I'm picturing the 8 cup press being reallllly big. It's a manageable size?

how big is it? the only thing I'm worried about if I pick this one up is I'm bringing it to a dorm and I don't want to waste space on a huge french press. For some reason I'm picturing the 8 cup press being reallllly big. It's a manageable size?

8 cup press is actually only 4 8-oz cups, as mentioned above, so it's technically a quart, if that will help you visualize the size, imagine a quart of milk.
I have a 12 oz that works nicely for single cups when the mood strikes, though I wish it were actually 16 oz.

by the way, this is a heck of a deal...

alright, I ordered the big press with the insulated mugs and a travel mug for school. I think I'm set as far as coffee gear goes. I don't know if I want a grinder, is it really worth it to use whole beans? how much time does it add to coffee prep? I've also never made coffee in single cup batches, how much coffee do I actually use?

alright, I ordered the big press with the insulated mugs and a travel mug for school. I think I'm set as far as coffee gear goes. I don't know if I want a grinder, is it really worth it to use whole beans? how much time does it add to coffee prep? I've also never made coffee in single cup batches, how much coffee do I actually use?

You definitely want to get a grinder, even if it's a blade grinder - many people on the board may say differently, but an uneven grind is better than stale grounds, and the blade grinder is probably in your budget at around $15-20.
Burr grinders are $50 and up. The point of using the press is to retain the natural coffee oils, and with pre-ground store bought coffee, these are all but gone. At the very least if you want to avoid grinding, buy whole beans in small amounts from a local place and have them pre-grind it for you.

You definitely want to get a grinder, even if it's a blade grinder - many people on the board may say differently, but an uneven grind is better than stale grounds, and the blade grinder is probably in your budget at around $15-20.
Burr grinders are $50 and up. The point of using the press is to retain the natural coffee oils, and with pre-ground store bought coffee, these are all but gone. At the very least if you want to avoid grinding, buy whole beans in small amounts from a local place and have them pre-grind it for you.

oh good news! I just called my mom and found out she has one that she has never used and I think it's this one http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/detail/CUI+DCG-12BC she said I can take it to school. from the look of it I think it's a blade grinder but I'm sure anything is better then nothing! (especially when it's free :lol: )

edit: I can't tell if it has some sort of setting for how coarse I want the grind to be. My french press fear is that I'll get lots of coffee grinds in it, will this do that? or do I just need to keep an eye on it. I'll only be grinding enough for one cup at a time.

oh good news! I just called my mom and found out she has one that she has never used and I think it's this one http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/detail/CUI+DCG-12BC she said I can take it to school. from the look of it I think it's a blade grinder but I'm sure anything is better then nothing! (especially when it's free :lol: )

edit: I can't tell if it has some sort of setting for how coarse I want the grind to be. My french press fear is that I'll get lots of coffee grinds in it, will this do that? or do I just need to keep an eye on it. I'll only be grinding enough for one cup at a time.

Oh, for that grinder, I wouldn't even attempt French Press brewing.

I'd spend the $3-4 on a Melitta pourover and buy Melitta paper filters.

(this is the two-cup model, requires #2 cone filters)
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=10182077

I own two, and when I want a "clean cup", it's my brew method of choice. (I don't own a Chemex, or that would be it, though I do own two vac-pots)

There are a fair amount of burr grinders available for under $60. Just check out Amazon. To be honest, though, I use a $15 Mr. Coffee blade grinder at work, and while it takes a bit of time to get the hang of getting the grind consistent, it still makes a great cup of coffee in the press. If it's in your budget, go with the burr grinder, but IMHO it's not as crucial to me as it is to many others.

Gatto, it sounds like your in school. Most likely you have a coffe roaster near by. If you can go some place that roasts coffee you can buy small amounts of coffe like a 1/4 or 1/2 pound and ask them to grind it for a press (course). If you use it up in a few days it won't be bad. You won't need a grinder, and you'll have some good coffee. Just a thought. Now, hit those books:001_smile

Gatto, it sounds like your in school. Most likely you have a coffe roaster near by. If you can go some place that roasts coffee you can buy small amounts of coffe like a 1/4 or 1/2 pound and ask them to grind it for a press (course). If you use it up in a few days it won't be bad. You won't need a grinder, and you'll have some good coffee. Just a thought. Now, hit those books:001_smile

yeah after some more research I think this might be the best way to go, it will cut time off of my morning routine and save some money (probably) now what I am confused about is how much coffee for a 16oz cup and how do I store the coffee?

yeah after some more research I think this might be the best way to go, it will cut time off of my morning routine and save some money (probably) now what I am confused about is how much coffee for a 16oz cup and how do I store the coffee?

For coarse ground, a good starting point is 1 tablespoon for every 4oz. So for your 16oz cup, you'll want to use 4tbsp. Adjust this to suit your taste.

Typically, I grind mine a little finer and use less coffee, as I think it extracts the oils a little better. I will use 1/3 cup of beans, medium grind, for 32oz. So in your case, 1/6 cup, or about 2.7 tablespoons for a 16oz cup for my style. :001_smile

For coarse ground, a good starting point is 1 tablespoon for every 4oz. So for your 16oz cup, you'll want to use 4tbsp. Adjust this to suit your taste.

Typically, I grind mine a little finer and use less coffee, as I think it extracts the oils a little better. I will use 1/3 cup of beans, medium grind, for 32oz. So in your case, 1/6 cup, or about 2.7 tablespoons for a 16oz cup for my style. :001_smile

oh wow that is not a lot! I thought it needed more coffee. I do have a starbucks on campus but do they have any whole beans that they can grind in store to sell or do they just sell pre-ground beans?

my parents decided to start using the grinder again and even with 2-3 year old frozen beans that have been sitting in the freezer for none of us really know how long and that crappy grinder the coffee came out better then maxwell house :lol:

There are a fair amount of burr grinders available for under $60. Just check out Amazon. To be honest, though, I use a $15 Mr. Coffee blade grinder at work, and while it takes a bit of time to get the hang of getting the grind consistent, it still makes a great cup of coffee in the press. If it's in your budget, go with the burr grinder, but IMHO it's not as crucial to me as it is to many others.
this is me, too...found a blade grinder on clearance at Mal Wart, works fine for me...however, when it dies, I'm going with a burr grinder, thinking of building my own :001_smile

Top Bottom