What's new

Does the safety razor you use matter to the blade? I think so, read on...

I use a Rockwell 6S with baseplates 1 or 3 most of the time, and I also own a pre-war Tech and a Slim.

I was trying Crystal DE blades in the Rockwell, and I didn't like the shave in either setting. I was resorting to two passes, and that's not me. (Yes, I am lame, but I have not changed what I expect from shaving after ditching disposables.) My first impression: let's not buy these blades again.

Then I put the blade into the Tech and--Presto!-- I have my normal one pass with touch-ups shave. When I return to my Astras and Feathers I will probably use them in the Rockwell.

Is this a common situation with any of you?

Cheers!

That is a fairly common finding with many blades. There are so many variables involved in shaving that even small changes in things like blade gap, tension on the blade, angle, etc can make differences that are noticeable to the end-user.

I have a few blades that seem to be fairly razor agnostic ( at least to the collection of razors I own ), but many of my blades seem to exhibit a 'preference' for a particular razor out of my stash over others. Some blades the changes are minuscule so I don't pay them much attention, but I have a few that it makes enough difference that I keep it in mind for that particular blade/razor combo.

That said sometimes a minor change in technique can change the experience of a particular combo as well. So taking the time to explore sometimes may payoff in what initially seems like a bad combination.

I don't know why and don't even have a theory but since I went all vintage, both razors and blades, it doesn't matter. All my blades perform equally excellent in all my razors. When I was using all modern there were definitely pairings that worked better than others.

I don't know why and don't even have a theory but since I went all vintage, both razors and blades, it doesn't matter. All my blades perform equally excellent in all my razors. When I was using all modern there were definitely pairings that worked better than others.
I've observed exactly the same!

Me too. I thought the whole thing was nonsense until I bought a few modern SS razors.

I am with the consensus here: most razors perform best with certain blade options! :a29:

An ’extreme’ example is the very mild AS/D2 which is great with Feather blades but not with most others!

I do find that different razors like different blades. My preferred blade is the 7 O'clock Super Stainless, and it works great in all of my Techs and my Long Comb, but in my Wade and Butcher DE I get a better shave with a Gillette Platinum. My Edwin Jagger loves Gillette Silver Blues, but I don't prefer it in any other razor I own.

I've gotten a lot of enjoyment figuring all of this out. But yeah, I see what you are talking about.

To add to this, I first went all vintage with my razors a year or better before I made the switch over on blades and that's when the phenomenon of certain blades for certain razors ended. A good blade performed good in all my razors and a bad one badly.

I've just discovered my Polsilver are crap in my Timeless .68. I've used them for years in various razors with no problem. Thankfully my Timeless paired with a GSB really makes a fantastic shaver, and the Polsilver work well with my GC .68.

Yes I think it can make a difference depending on a person’s technique. I don’t seem to encounter any problems in this area. My blades work in any razor no matter what I use. Might sound strange but it’s a fact. I don’t mean to brag but I am....!

Its different,but some razors like merkur 33c ,any blade performs ok or very good,especially sharper blades.You have to adjust technique little from razor to razor.

Yes, my Slim and Fatboy seems to like the 3 different blades I have, Feather, Wilkinson Sword and Gillette Permasharp but prefer either the Permasharp or Wilkinson over the Feathers. My Gillette New OC I seem to do better with the Feathers. My Tech and SS doesn't seem to matter. My Schick Krona seems to like either the Feathers or the Wilkinson. My Merkur 34c I haven't seemed to find anything that is comfortable to shave with since I bought it using the blade it come with, that was one smooth shave but even buying more Merkur blades didn't help, I have tried everything I have and I can't get a smooth shave with that razor. I hate to get rid of it since it is the razor I started this venture with.

So yes, to me the blade to a certain razor does matter.

Top Bottom