What's new

Does anyone else's Henson break blades?

About every forth blade my wife's Henson will break the blade. It happens to both Astra SP and Super Iridium. It affects only one side. Sometimes there's only a crease, sometimes the blade only partially tears, and sometimes the edge will just fall off. She got a pretty good cut a couple of months ago. Please excuse the rust. That blade has been in the blade bank for quite a while and I dug it out for the photo.

thumbnail_IMG_1924.jpg

About every forth blade my wife's Henson will break the blade. It happens to both Astra SP and Super Iridium. It affects only one side. Sometimes there's only a crease, sometimes the blade only partially tears, and sometimes the edge will just fall off. She got a pretty good cut a couple of months ago. Please excuse the rust. That blade has been in the blade bank for quite a while and I dug it out for the photo.

View attachment 1687837
I’ve probably owned 10 hensons or more and none of them did that to a blade. Pics of the razor in question might help including the base and top caps separated. I’d also shoot them an email

I should add that this is one of their first razors. I bought it right after Henson started selling them. It shaves fine though---until it breaks a blade. My wife checks the blade after every use while drying it.

It may be defective razor blades that were improperly tempered. Get a different brand and try those and see.

I've shaved with all three levels of Hensons and never had that happen. My wife now uses my Henson + and this hasn't happened to her either. Wow.

Reactions: Kix
I've prolly got a fail rate of about 10% about 30-40 blades and 3-4 snapping. same thing only one side. 2-3 feathers and one thicker vintage carbon steel blade a Silver Star Duridium. what version you got @borwish? mine's a lot:001 ladies(mild) I've even flipped the blade after it snapped to try and make a shim but no dice it only wants one side! also the 2 or 3 feather blades failed some time between shave 10-30.

@Vraad I've got no idea what lot it is. It's one of the first when they first started selling them. It's also the mild (ladies) and the only marking on it are the single divot on the cap and bottom plate.

I just checked the Astra SP that's in it and there's a definite crease on one side of the blade. Some of the anodizing is also missing from a couple of threads now.

oh yes I recall from the henson club thread that you have a unicorn that falls in between the mild and medium before those existed. could be something about the early ones. I just got a v2 off the b/s/t and will see if it eats a blade as well. Could be the crazy bending all in one area and cyclic loading causing a fatigue failure. do you disassemble after each shave? I do. any body else dissemble and go into the double digits with their henson?

It used to be disassembled after each use and dried, but not now. Like you thought that metal fatigue could be the issue, so now it just gets rinsed and tapped on a towel to knock excess water off.

Top Bottom