What's new

Does Anybody Here Dislike Shaving Still?

My best advice to find a good woman is to be the kind of man you'd want your daughter to date. Better yourself at every opportunity. Don't take advice from weird old men like me on the internet, lol. Don't sleep with her before you marry her. Or try not to. Give 100% all the time and expect nothing in return. Lay down your life for her daily. Don't refer to her as the War Department, lol. If she EXPECTS an engagement ring that you can't pay cash for, dump her like a hot potato.

I could go on and on, but again, my advice is free, and worth every penny!

The only reason I'm still married after 31+ years is not because I followed all the above advice, but because my lovely War Department is as long suffering as ANYONE you've ever met.

Very good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I love my shaves, usually every day in the evening. There are days when I just don’t have the energy for it though but by the second day I can’t wait to shave off the stubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like the end result of a good shave. I enjoy getting better at a skill and using good tools. My prefrence is to shave quickly and move on, though. Chasing the ultimate best of everything and trying to make it all into some kind of zen experience every time seems totally uneccessary.

I'm a firm believer in the law of diminishing returns.

I used to hate shaving until recently. Now that its more like a hobby i enjoy it and look forward to it. Turn the radio on, pick one of my 3 soaps, maybe a new blade and try and get a great shave. Still learning and developing my shave skills. Realized that I’m almost 60 and don’t really know how. One thing I’ve noticed is that the smells bring back really nice memories of my father, even got one of my brothers interested in it now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to hate shaving until recently. Now that its more like a hobby i enjoy it and look forward to it. Turn the radio on, pick one of my 3 soaps, maybe a new blade and try and get a great shave. Still learning and developing my shave skills. Realized that I’m almost 60 and don’t really know how. One thing I’ve noticed is that the smells bring back really nice memories of my father, even got one of my brothers interested in it now.
Nice point. Remembering my Dad is the best part of shaving for me. Used to love to stand on the toilet lid as he lathered up while a cigarette was burning in the ashtray! Ah, when men were men and boys were in a hurry to be men!

I’m just not a morning person.

I have not been a morning person for about the last almost 30 years since my time with Uncle Sam was up. Midnight shift is my preferred shift and what I work now. I shave in the mornings when I get home. It's a nice transition from work to sleep for me. I completely enjoy it. I even keep my schedule when I'm off work as well; it just makes it easier I have found from experience.

I look forward to each shave in the mornings before bed. My wife comments how quick I am to head to the bathroom to shower and shave when she gets up on the mornings I'm off. (Yeah, I may be crazy lol). But, then again, she also laughs when I occasionally have a drink at 0800 before my shower and bed. But hey, my 0800 is the same as a "normal" persons 2000. lol

I do need to shave for work but, even if I change jobs and could grow my beard back, I wouldn't after getting to the point where I enjoy my shaves and my Zen time.

I haven’t shaved his month because I am participating in No-shave November...gotta say I enjoy the extra time I have in the morning. I still wash my face and beard well, even lather it up but no shaving. I did shave the edges last week using a simple disposable razor, the ingrown hairs were terrible. I prepped well and only did one pass so if that were my regular experience I could see myself hating shaving.

I must start by saying that I have only been wet shaving for a short time. And I don’t have to shave everyday like some on here. I shave two times a week on average I would say. With that being said, I absolutely enjoy every minute of the wet shaving experience. I must admit that I’m a little OCD so this may have something to do with my enjoyment. Everything from preparing for the shave to cleaning the tools of the trade afterwards brings me joy! ~Tim~😎

Eh, I could take it or leave it. It’s less of a chore than it used to be, but I’ll grow a beard for a while until I remember how itchy it is and then go back to shaving daily for a bit.

About four years ago I gave up my electric razor for good. Since the 70s I have used a variety of razors but electrics for the better part of 30 years and it was a necessary chore.

I read an article somewhere and decided to give DE shaving a try. This coincided with my wife’s terminal illness (she is gone more than 21 months now). The shaving ritual offered a brief respite every day from what amounted to 18 months of suffering and another 18 months of extreme loneliness. I am fortunately now living again. I can still feel my wife touching my cheek and saying “wow”.

For about three years, shaving provided my zen moment in an otherwise difficult time. For the last year, it still provides a grounding time for me and I can’t imagine not taking the time for my daily shave.

So no, it is not a chore, but a daily ritual that I’m grateful I discovered.

I like shaving coz it’s fun to do. Getting to match and mix different razors and blades is intriguing. And all of the variety of soaps, creams and brushes is an added bonus. The joy of lathering also. A daily chore turned into an intoxicating pleasure!

Ditto, and possibly helped by the fact I shave with a SR and not a DE. A DE shave does not interest me in the slightest, and I also do not care at all for the beard look.

I will continue shaving without any requirement to do so simply because the activity remains extremely enjoyable and centering. Much like honing razors is for me.

FarmerTan

About four years ago I gave up my electric razor for good. Since the 70s I have used a variety of razors but electrics for the better part of 30 years and it was a necessary chore.

I read an article somewhere and decided to give DE shaving a try. This coincided with my wife’s terminal illness (she is gone more than 21 months now). The shaving ritual offered a brief respite every day from what amounted to 18 months of suffering and another 18 months of extreme loneliness. I am fortunately now living again. I can still feel my wife touching my cheek and saying “wow”.

For about three years, shaving provided my zen moment in an otherwise difficult time. For the last year, it still provides a grounding time for me and I can’t imagine not taking the time for my daily shave.

So no, it is not a chore, but a daily ritual that I’m grateful I discovered.
Thanks for sharing your story. My condolences, friend.

For me shaving is something that needs to get done. In know way can I call it my hobby. I use my farther 1954 Super Speed as my only DE . I’m one of the few that find traditional shaving a money saver. Maybe saving money is my hobby?

FarmerTan

For me shaving is something that needs to get done. In know way can I call it my hobby. I use my farther 1954 Super Speed as my only DE . I’m one of the few that find traditional shaving a money saver. Maybe saving money is my hobby?
Nothing wrong with that hobby!

I actually hated shaving most of my adult life until I started using a disposable blade straight. Now I actually look forward to shaving.

Top Bottom