What's new

Do you worry about the future ?

The "news" media is all negative doom n gloom. Go out and look for the positive things happening in your neighbor hood, city, state, etc., you will be amazed. There are a lot more positive things happening than negative. And don't worry about what you have ZERO control of, when the Creeping Lasagna Specter says your time is up, it's up!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

proxy.php

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
I think part of the problem is our access to media and perceived news. Whilst there are challenges ahead we also don't have the issues or concerns of yesteryear

I think part of the problem is our access to media and perceived news. Whilst there are challenges ahead we also don't have the issues or concerns of yesteryear
I agree. I also think we look at things in relation to what we could have or could experience rather than taking life as it comes. I would get really irritated listening to fellow Soldiers or their spouses complain about deployment, even when going to relatively safe (OK, somewhat safe) locations. I would tell my wife that at least our kids are healthy and our bills are paid.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I agree. I also think we look at things in relation to what we could have or could experience rather than taking life as it comes. I would get really irritated listening to fellow Soldiers or their spouses complain about deployment, even when going to relatively safe (OK, somewhat safe) locations. I would tell my wife that at least our kids are healthy and our bills are paid.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Excellent point my brother.
We come into the world naked, and that's how we leave it, as my dad used to say.
I'm blessed beyond measure. Every work day I see things that most folks would cross the street to avoid, but alas, I'm paid to go there..... But you can know this: every moment is a gift, and when I get home I go kiss the War Department and hug our juvenile delinquent, and give God all the praise.
Then I turn on the evening news and throw my shoe at the TV....

Excellent point my brother.
We come into the world naked, and that's how we leave it, as my dad used to say.
I'm blessed beyond measure. Every work day I see things that most folks would cross the street to avoid, but alas, I'm paid to go there..... But you can know this: every moment is a gift, and when I get home I go kiss the War Department and hug our juvenile delinquent, and give God all the praise.
Then I turn on the evening news and throw my shoe at the TV....

:^)

Politics, country, and culture used to be my primary focuses in life for a while. I bemoaned the loss of this and the degradation of that and wondered how people could just walk on by while this or that crisis was brewing. My return to faith really killed the fear and despair I used to have. When politics, country, and culture are moved way down the priority list, it doesn't matter nearly as much when they're royally screwed up.

Things may move in a better direction someday in the future, or they may devolve into an ever more frightful mess. I'm so much happier not having to worry about the thousands of fabricated boogeymen sold to me by every marketer, activist, and "journalist". Every day, preachers of doom are proselytizing about the bees dying, or GMOs giving everybody cancer, or a coordinated invasion from such-and-so country, or scary bigots hiding in every corner, or terrorists, or the oceans rising, or hyperinflation, or the middle class disappearing, or a thousand other crises du jour that invariably come packaged with a "solution" that results in the preacher becoming quite wealthy and powerful. It's funny, the world keeps on spinning, despite prognoses to the contrary.

These days, I glance at the news online, rarely clicking any of the links. I try to eat fresh food made from scratch when possible. I try to spend less and save more. The biggest changes have come from changing my family's entertainment consumption habits. We spend less time on the internet and watching TV, which means we're less exposed to the fabrications of the marketers, activists, and journalists.

FarmerTan

Politics, country, and culture used to be my primary focuses in life for a while. I bemoaned the loss of this and the degradation of that and wondered how people could just walk on by while this or that crisis was brewing. My return to faith really killed the fear and despair I used to have. When politics, country, and culture are moved way down the priority list, it doesn't matter nearly as much when they're royally screwed up.

Things may move in a better direction someday in the future, or they may devolve into an ever more frightful mess. I'm so much happier not having to worry about the thousands of fabricated boogeymen sold to me by every marketer, activist, and "journalist". Every day, preachers of doom are proselytizing about the bees dying, or GMOs giving everybody cancer, or a coordinated invasion from such-and-so country, or scary bigots hiding in every corner, or terrorists, or the oceans rising, or hyperinflation, or the middle class disappearing, or a thousand other crises du jour that invariably come packaged with a "solution" that results in the preacher becoming quite wealthy and powerful. It's funny, the world keeps on spinning, despite prognoses to the contrary.

These days, I glance at the news online, rarely clicking any of the links. I try to eat fresh food made from scratch when possible. I try to spend less and save more. The biggest changes have come from changing my family's entertainment consumption habits. We spend less time on the internet and watching TV, which means we're less exposed to the fabrications of the marketers, activists, and journalists.
Amen. I need less "Rush" and more "smell the roses..."

I was a politics and news junkie, years ago. But then I took a vacation where I was forced to be disconnected (2 weeks of tarpon fishing in Mexico). When I got back, I couldn't take it anymore. Chucked the TVs the next day (well, gave them away). A whole bunch of unnecessary and repetitive noise quickly vanished from my day.

Sure, I worry about the future, but "the earth [does not seem like] just one big spinning disaster." And I get to choose the foods I eat, and there is quite the variety available of things that are reasonably good for one these days, so I do not worry about that, or, rather, my worry makes me more aware of what I eat.

Probably impossible to talk about without getting political, which seems like a shame on some levels. The things that we each worry about the most such as financial security for our children, a reasonable environment to live in, what foods are available to us, medical care, war and wages, work, faith and the expression thereof, and whatever one cares to name are all so politicized, that it is hard to share our worries generally.

I do think we all worry more for our children and grandchildren than for ourselves. I am only going to be around to see but so much of the future!

We're, i'm assuming most here, just lucky to have been born/live in first world countries physically well isolated from the rest of the world, don't look far beyond our shores.
dave

FarmerTan

Sure, I worry about the future, but "the earth [does not seem like] just one big spinning disaster." And I get to choose the foods I eat, and there is quite the variety available of things that are reasonably good for one these days, so I do not worry about that, or, rather, my worry makes me more aware of what I eat.

Probably impossible to talk about without getting political, which seems like a shame on some levels. The things that we each worry about the most such as financial security for our children, a reasonable environment to live in, what foods are available to us, medical care, war and wages, work, faith and the expression thereof, and whatever one cares to name are all so politicized, that it is hard to share our worries generally.

I do think we all worry more for our children and grandchildren than for ourselves. I am only going to be around to see but so much of the future!
Ditto on the kids thing. My best years are behind me, but my kid's generation is the one I'm counting on. One day I think they'll figure it all out and we colonize Mars, the next day I feel they will all be Psych patients draining the system. Sigh.

The world is already in the midst of the greatest extinction event ever; and it's caused by humans.

I don't mean to argue, but this is not at all true. Far more species are extinct than exist today. The world has always been in constant upheaval and change, with sea levels varying by hundreds of feet, forests become deserts, and vice-versa. Everything which is alive eventually dies, and no species will exist forever.

What many people fail to realize is how much a part of nature man is, they somehow see human beings as different from everything else. That is not true. Human beings have killed off species, but other species have prospered by man-made environmental changes. The petroleum used for energy is broken down into carbon, which is absorbed by plants, which eventually die, decompose, and make more petroleum. The metals used to make cars, planes, buildings, and razors are eventually broken down by time and the elements back to their fundamental states.

If all human beings disappeared from the earth today, all traces of their existence would disappear quickly. The scale of time which regulates the earth is much larger than that which we live by. A thousand years would see most buildings and all machines disintegrated, ten thousand years (a scant, fraction of a second on the worldly scale) would see the disintegration of almost everything else.

The world has existed for a long time, and will continue to do so, but it, and everything on it is eventually doomed. All things which live eventually die. For myself, I don't worry about it. If my time is limited, I simply have to make the most of it.

The world will last forever until the sun goes supernova is a lazy, selfish and complacent argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom