What's new

Do you use hot towels for pre shave?

Like most of the responders here, I usually only use a hot towel when I do not shower before my shave. But, every now and then I like to do a combo shower and towel then shave.

What I like to do is run a sink full of steaming hot water, soak the towel, put my mug in the water to submerge it about half way, then I cover my mug with the wet towel. If the water is hot enough and the towel is thick enough, the towel will trap a lot of the steam and keep your mug nice and toasty. You'll know if you did it right, because when you get out of the shower the towel will be swollen up like a balloon over your mug. When you take it off a puff of steam should come out and a hot mug and steamed towel will be ready to go.

Like most of the responders here, I usually only use a hot towel when I do not shower before my shave. But, every now and then I like to do a combo shower and towel then shave.

What I like to do is run a sink full of steaming hot water, soak the towel, put my mug in the water to submerge it about half way, then I cover my mug with the wet towel. If the water is hot enough and the towel is thick enough, the towel will trap a lot of the steam and keep your mug nice and toasty. You'll know if you did it right, because when you get out of the shower the towel will be swollen up like a balloon over your mug. When you take it off a puff of steam should come out and a hot mug and steamed towel will be ready to go.

You get THAT steamy of water from your water heater?! Glad I'm not paying your electrical bills, lol. (Though it would give one occasion to think about building their next house right next to natural hot springs...)

Sometimes I do, most times I don't. Usually, I build my lather before jumping into the shower. While in there, I wash face and hair first and work my way down, making sure to keep face wet. When done, I get out, dry hair but leave face dripping wet. I then lather my very wet face and shave.

When using a hot towel and when I want to go uptown as my dad used to say, I shake a drop or two of rose EO into the center of a hand towel, get it wet with hot water in the sink and hold it on my beard area. Niiiiiiiice.

I always do Kyle's prep, and I've found that our cheap thin washcloths seem to work better than my thick fluffy one. Can't figure out why for the life of me. Might be because I don't get much in the way of hot water from the tap, so the cheapies take less time/work to heat through?

I used to use the hot towel, and I still love the traditional feeling of luxury that it provides, but I found using a hot soap and water wash followed by letting warm lather sit on the beard for two minutes gives me equal results, and is much faster and less trouble.

Top Bottom