What's new

Do you use hot towels for pre shave?

The barbershop I go to gives you 1 before and 1 after a straight razor shave (actually you get the hot towels even for just sideburns). Not sure it does much, but its a nice touch

I shave in the evening but shower in the morning, so I use a hot towel every evening. I find one of my thick wash cloths works just fine. Thickness is more important than size, in my opinion.

Brand? As long as its thick... it would hold more heat.

I just shower, condition my beard, hop out... lather my face... clean up/get everything ready. Then relather and shave. :ohmy:

I have washcloths of the hotel variety - so they are not so thick. The other one I bought is much thicker, and I think works better. I am also of the opinion that thicker is better.

I shave in the evening but shower in the morning, so I use a hot towel every evening. I find one of my thick wash cloths works just fine. Thickness is more important than size, in my opinion.

Same here, although I use a hand towel as I haven't found a wash cloth that is large enough to cover my face.

I used to use hot towels when I first started, then I started looking for ways to trim down my shave time. I cut the towels and didn't notice a real difference. After my shower, I just lather and shave. Works fine for me.

When I started I was doing a lot more prep that included a hot towel soak. Now that I've moved to soaps, improved my technique, tried different razors and blades the prep isn't as needed (for me) for a good shave. It does help. The other reason I've cut back on prep is I am now shaving each day. It makes each shave more enjoyable. I do miss it as it is very soothing and relaxing. In the future, when more time is available, I plan to go back to doing it.

I used to do hot towel prep before shaving with a two blade disposable, in the search for a decent shave.

Results: meh.

Hot towel prep with good soap, brush, and DE: :jump:

Lately I've been shaving as soon as I hop out of the shower. I've only used a hot towel if I didn't shave immediately, but know I'm going to try bringing the towel into the shower. It might help by holding the heat up against the beard.

Where's the MW located, and where's the bathroom located? How does all that work?

I live in a small ranch style house the microwave is about 30 feet from the bathroom. In order to preserve domestic tranquility, I have refrained from putting a mircrowave in the bathroom. Also, I have a nice recliner just outside the bathroom, in the living room. On weekends I lie down and relax.

Hot towel (I run it under the hot tap and squeeze the excess water out) for 30 sec right before I apply shaving cream. It works. I just use the cheapo hand towels they sell at Costco.

Washcloths work just as well.

If you follow Kyle's prep, lather up with an initial lather...apply hot washcloth. Sit for 1-3 mins contemplating life...rinse, re-lather and shave!

First do not buy products called hot towel treatments like BillY jealousy or Real Shaving Co products. They are expensive, they leave you pasty, and are not hot.

Even if you take a hot shower then shave, I recommend using a hot towel still because by the time you get out of the shower, lather, then shave, your face/beard will have lost considerable heat.

Before you put the hot towel on for 30 sec to 1 min or 1 min 30 sec or even 2 min, lather your beard first then put the hot towel one. This way your beard is heated and is getting softened by the lather.

Wipe away excess lather, then lather your beard before your first pass. If you do this right, you will notice a difference in shave. You will not hear any hair being whacked, just falling over your razor willingly. Choose a towel that will hold heat very well. Thick, well made, and very hot.

I use the thickest hand towel I've got, holds the heat a lot better. Actually never done a shave without Kyle's prep so not sure what it's like without it, benefits of being unemployed I guess, lots of time to shave and prep! :)

I have a couple high quality hand towels from restoration hardware. Wife said that she hates them, so I have been using these since I started this thread. They hold heat in for a long time since they are so thick, I love doing this every morning now... Not sure if it makes a major difference but its highly enjoyable!

I have used hot towels on the rare occasion ('barber shop' shave in the afternoon, etc.). I normally shave in the morning so my pre-shave ritual usually goes: hot shower + re-splash of hot water at sink + Proraso Pre.

Seems to work just fine.

No hot towels for me, not on a regular basis anyway. I just shave right out of the shower. I usually use a face wash in the shower and leave that lather on my face while I wash my hair for a minute or two. I think that helps soften things up.

Top Bottom