What's new

Do you turn the hobby off?

hobbying and a good shave aren’t the same for me. I stopped collecting and testing/trying new toys years ago. I’ve got my core implements and use ‘em. I remember the flush of excitement of figuring out the new thing, be it soap, razor, or brush. Those days are past. A quality, zen shave takes about 10 minutes. I can do a rush shave in less, with a good result.

a good/adequate shave isn’t the highlight of my day, just a (possibly nice) part of my day.

doing anything well or to the best expectation is a worthwhile pursuit. that’s how I shave. technique trumps all in this pursuit, be it with a straight, or a bar of soap in the shower with a cart. And everywhere between.

Having the most toys when I die isn’t a consideration. the term hobby correlates with collecting/experimenting/chasing the new shiny to me.

Yes. I'm not planning on shaving in Movember.
I would love to grow a beard in Movember, but I am a CPAP user with a full face mask (yes I’m a dreaded mouth breather). The beard keeps the mask from making a good seal. It’s one of the reasons I shave at night just before I go to bed.

I would love to grow a beard in Movember, but I am a CPAP user with a full face mask (yes I’m a dreaded mouth breather). The beard keeps the mask from making a good seal. It’s one of the reasons I shave at night just before I go to bed.
pipe1.jpg
I started using a CPAP since last Movember! Guess I won't be turning it off. :(

No, I don't think I will go back to turning this hobby off anymore. It is here to stay.

I first started DE shaving from 2014 to 2016. I gave up on using the DE Safety Razor and went back to cartdridge razors in 2017.

Now that I have more time to shave since I work at home, I started DE shaving again about 3 months ago and I enjoy it a lot more.

I use to subscribe to all those monthly wet shaving club, it was fun getting new products every month. I do regret selling and giving all those product away.

I hear what you're saying... got me thinking.

For years, I used to shave in the shower, purely for the convenience. I used whatever the latest_&_greatest Gillette cartridge of the day was. It was a chore, a daily thing, smth. that gave me no pleasure, nor pain, just an everyday thing, like putting on clean underwire or socks each morning. You don't think about it, you just do it.

It was certainly "wet", as I had water dripping over my face, while I glided those blades, shaving mostly by "feel".

Nowadays, I enjoy my shaves. I like how the warm lather feels on my face, with my Silver Tip badger brush. I like my SRs and my DEs and Feather AC, I like my soaps and creams and AS's. It's not a chore any longer. That said however, I don't consider my wet-shaving a hobby, as I don't collect multiple razors, soaps, blades, etc... I guess I'm lucky to have found the stuff that works for me and beyond that I'm not really interested in exploring "what else is out there". Occasionally, I'll try out a new soap, mostly based on how I imagine it might smell, but gear wise I'm set for life with my Koraat and Feather AC, AS-D2 and R41. Each to his own, YMMV and all that.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I can’t go too many shaves before the urge to use too much pressure kicks in and I get razor burn, so I likely turn many people off from shaving.

It's not a hobby for me anymore. It's just something that needs to be done, or not done depending on my mood. I have had a beard since 2015 and have only shaved it off a handful of times since then. Mostly I take my clippers and trim it down to 3 mm stubble. 99% of my den will probably end up in the dumpster since I don't want to give away old soaps and creams.

I've never considered traditional shaving (DE/SE/SR razors) a Hobby until I joined B&B, then starting my colection of razor, brushes and a few soaps. Since '61 I've shaved with a DE or SE razor, using 1 or 2 razors 1 soap & brush, seldom using Carts.

The ease of brush and soap lathering has rendered canned soap a distant memory. Two minutes at most from the time I wet my brush until I am ready to cut. 30 seconds on the Puck and a minute at most building the lather on my face. Add another 30 seconds just for good measure. I haven't purchased foam in a can for about a decade.
This describes me pretty well, without the length of experience. I used to keep a can of foam around for when I was in a hurry, but I find I don't need even that. It's nice to take my time when I can but I can do in just a couple of quick minutes when necessary.

I get frustrated at being unable to find the correct angle and make my own.

If you are using excessive pressure, there is NO correct angle.

When shaving it is necessary to use a razor blade that is suitable for your razor, beard, skin and shaving technique. Some razors shave best when you shave "off the guard", that is when the blade angle is steep relative to the face. However, I find that I get less razor burn with most razors if I shave "off the cap" with a shallow blade angle. Many people start with the guard of the razor against their cheek and then raise the handle up until they feel the blade on their skin. That results in a steel blade angle that scrapes your beard off your face along with skin cells. i start with the cap of the razor flat against my cheek and lower the handle until I feel the blade on my skin . That results in a shallow blade angle that allows the blade to slice through your beard. Try that method and see if it helps with razor burn.

In any instance, use only enough pressure to keep the razor in contact with your face.

Also, getting a high quality shaving soap that provides superb slickness, superb cushion and then conditions and moisturizes your skin will go a long way to minimizing razor burn. If you want specific suggestions, either send me a personal message or check out the shaving soap threads.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thank you, Ray! I’m getting better at not doing what I mentioned. It’s definitely a deleterious habit and I go further between shaves before indulging in it now.

I've never really viewed shaving as a hobby. Before I wandered in here, I didn't much think about shaving unless I was actually standing in front of a mirror holding a razor. Now, it's still not really on my mind unless I'm here or somewhere with vintage razors.

I shave extra every November. I don't know what it is, but I hate the word Movember, so I never do it. I let it grow any other month, but never NO-vember.
That's good that you get people to pledge money for you not shaving 11 months out of the year for charities.

It's not a hobby for me. Either I shave or not. If I am in a hurry, I just skip a day. Carts rip my face apart, so that isn't an option.

If you are using excessive pressure, there is NO correct angle.

When shaving it is necessary to use a razor blade that is suitable for your razor, beard, skin and shaving technique. Some razors shave best when you shave "off the guard", that is when the blade angle is steep relative to the face. However, I find that I get less razor burn with most razors if I shave "off the cap" with a shallow blade angle. Many people start with the guard of the razor against their cheek and then raise the handle up until they feel the blade on their skin. That results in a steel blade angle that scrapes your beard off your face along with skin cells. i start with the cap of the razor flat against my cheek and lower the handle until I feel the blade on my skin . That results in a shallow blade angle that allows the blade to slice through your beard. Try that method and see if it helps with razor burn.

In any instance, use only enough pressure to keep the razor in contact with your face.

Also, getting a high quality shaving soap that provides superb slickness, superb cushion and then conditions and moisturizes your skin will go a long way to minimizing razor burn. If you want specific suggestions, either send me a personal message or check out the shaving soap threads.
I have found the same to be true with DE razors - I always ride the cap and try to use the shallowest possible angle.

Must say though, I never grasped the concept of lather "cushion". I mean lather is a frothy mass of soap and water bubbles. How in the world is that going to cushion a steel blade from cutting into skin?

I prefer a very wet, thin, almost transparent lather, as I am looking for extra slickness and lubrication for an easier glide. Cushion? I don't get it. I see folks posting pics of meringue like foam mountains, but I don't see the point.

@RayClem any comments?

Last edited:
Top Bottom