What's new

Do you shave in the shower?

I have a steam room / shower and i shaved in there for a long time because it made a clear difference to me.
But I had a leak needed to dry it out for repair so I went back to the sink.

Ok standard prepping now to get the best of that and it is pretty close to the sauna for me.

Wet face with warm water
Apply paa pre shave soap
Put a warm wet towel on top
Leave for 5 min
Put shave soap on top of the pre shave soap
Wait a minute or two
Shave.....
Maybe shower.

Showering before helps also. But for me this works better.

I'm 50 years old and have grey coarse hair. Been having trouble getting a smooth shave with no pulling. Not sure what I can do to prep besides standard hot water. Didn't know if many guys shave in the shower or if that would help. Thank you.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Shattered!

For decades before retirement, I shaved in the shower, mainly to save a couple minutes in the morning!
Foam, cartridge, never any issue!

Now, post-retirement, I can be more leisurely and shave at the sink!

If you're having some issues, my only advice is to Scrub your face and whiskers well with regular body/bath Soap and a coarse Washcloth before shaving in the shower! Just to fully clean skin, remove oils, hydrate the whiskers.

Enjoy your journey!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Welcome to B&B, Sir Shattered!

For decades before retirement, I shaved in the shower, mainly to save a couple minutes in the morning!
Foam, cartridge, never any issue!

Now, post-retirement, I can be more leisurely and shave at the sink!

If you're having some issues, my only advice is to Scrub your face and whiskers well with regular body/bath Soap and a coarse Washcloth before shaving in the shower! Just to fully clean skin, remove oils, hydrate the whiskers.

Enjoy your journey!

+1. Have shaved in the shower the last decade. Have recently retired and been shaving at the sink since. :)

Unfortunately if I did that my shower would be clogged with hair within two weeks, and I'd be doing some serious snaking. I shave using a bowl of hot water to rinse (and which is dumped outside afterwards).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
No. The waste of hot water appalls me

Does shaving in the shower waste hot water?

1. Turn shower on get wet.
2. Push water valve on shower head "off" to stop flow of water.
3. Lather head, face and body.
4. Push water valve on shower head "on" to start flow of water.
5. Rinse face, hair and body.
6. Fill Giant Green Marvey Shave Mug with water.
7. Turn water off again at valve.
8. Wet synthetic shave brush in mug and lather brush with soap.
9. Face lather.
10. Shave. Rinsing razor in Marvey mug by "swishing." :)
11. Turn water on again using valve.
12. Rinse face, dump water from first pass, fill mug again for 2nd pass.
13. Repeat steps 9-12.
14. Done.

No mess, no fuss, no constantly running water. :)

Welcome to B&B, @Shattered dreams:

70+ shower-shaving graybeard here. Daily 3 pass shave.

My experience is that shaving at the end of the shower is ideal. I have a camping mirror in the shower. As I'm retired, I can take my time and do a 3 pass shave. For me the difference between a shower shave and a sink shave is striking. I always get at least a DFS.
Procedure:
1. Shampoo applied to hair
2. Grab the bath bar and lather up, starting at the face and neck and working down, leaving the face & neck soaped up.
With the bath bar, I go past the frothy proto-lather by a few seconds to get a richer lather.
3. Rinse.
4. Second shampoo with conditioner applied to head, face, and neck.
5. Rinse.
6. Grab my shave soap and load the brush, then go to the bowl to build my lather. Apply lather to face and neck.
If you've been counting, this is the third time I've soaped up the shaving area.
7. Shave WTG. Repeat step 6 but XTG and ATG if required.
8. Exit shower, dry off, and apply your preferred post shave regimen.

You'll get a lot of advice as about hardware, soap/cream, and blade. We're all different. You'll have to find your own favorites.
For the record, I've tried a considerable variety. The stuff I've used most: Gillette SuperSpeed or Tech razor, Derby Extra or Wilkinson Sword (German), or Personna Lab Blue blades, and Williams Mug Soap, Stirling soap, or Nivea Men shaving cream (in a tube). YMMV.
I recommend Stirling Soap and Personna for new shavers.

Good luck and have fun.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Used to from time to time with a Gillette Good News Disposable. Haven't done so in a long, long while though. Enjoy the whole ritual of a quality razor, brush lather, uber-close shaves and great smelling stuff too much to ever do so again.

I am a shower shaver (in the shower, but not during). I wash and rinse, then turn off the water and start lathering. I have a 16 oz plastic cup I keep in the shower full of hot water to rinse my razor. Since I shave most of my face and all of my head, after pass one I turn the water back on and rinse quickly. I re apply, pass two and then pass three I just squeeze out the brush and apply what's left. I then turn the water back on and rinse off all the soap, brush and razor. I regularly (like today) have phenomenal shaves.

Does shaving in the shower waste hot water?

1. Turn shower on get wet.
2. Push water valve on shower head "off" to stop flow of water.
3. Lather head, face and body.
4. Push water valve on shower head "on" to start flow of water.
5. Rinse face, hair and body.
6. Fill Giant Green Marvey Shave Mug with water.
7. Turn water off again at valve.
8. Wet synthetic shave brush in mug and lather brush with soap.
9. Face lather.
10. Shave. Rinsing razor in Marvey mug by "swishing." :)
11. Turn water on again using valve.
12. Rinse face, dump water from first pass, fill mug again for 2nd pass.
13. Repeat steps 9-12.
14. Done.

No mess, no fuss, no constantly running water. :)
I would be done at 5. You have 7 more steps to go.

Top Bottom