What's new

Do you shave in the shower?

I'm 50 years old and have grey coarse hair. Been having trouble getting a smooth shave with no pulling. Not sure what I can do to prep besides standard hot water. Didn't know if many guys shave in the shower or if that would help. Thank you.

Been having trouble getting a smooth shave with no pulling. Not sure what I can do to prep besides standard hot water.

I don't shower before or during shaving and never get tugging unless I make an error. Try a pre-shave. I use Proraso. The green has menthol and is my preferred choice but there's red (sandalwood) and white (light citrus, small amount of menthol) depending on taste. Have you tried many blade varieties? The right blade can be the difference between tugging and no tugging. A slightly shallower angle (riding the cap) can also help.

I'm 50 years old and have grey coarse hair. Been having trouble getting a smooth shave with no pulling. Not sure what I can do to prep besides standard hot water. Didn't know if many guys shave in the shower or if that would help. Thank you.

I just shaved in the shower this morning.
I used a 1940's style Gillette Super Speed
with an Astra Superior Platinum double edge blade.
I just wipe a bar of soap on my face
and proceed to shave.
That's the entire process.
It's the easiest thing.
The type of soap doesn't matter.

I usually shave with a straight razor and make a big deal out of it,
but today I'm on the road
and that's when I shave in the shower.

a preshave cream (proraso) and a really sharp blade (feather) would be my advice. go carefully when you start with feathers though, they take some getting used to, but you will never look back.

I don't shave in the shower but afterwards like @haggis . I will turn 60 in 6 months and I have tough old man white whiskers. Try letting your lather soak into the whiskers longer to soften them up. What I do is work the lather with my brush on my face for 3 minutes. Swirls, figure eights, paint strokes what ever you like. Your lather will thicken up as you do it so occasionally wet your brush tips with hot water and keep working it in. I don't know what blade your using but try a sharper blade like Feather, Bic Chrome Platinum or Wilkinson Sword (the Classic made in Germany, not the Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India/China).

I used to shave in the shower using shampoo/conditioner as my lather and a multiblade cartridge razor. I traveled extensively in my job and found that to be the most convenient way to shave in a hotel room. However, my shaves were neither close nor comfortable.

After retiring I started to explore traditional wet shaving. I still take a shower before shaving, but now I use high quality shaving soaps lathered by a brush and shave with a variety of straight razors and double edge and single edge safety razors. My shaves today are far superior to those I experienced during most of my shaving career. I still keep a cartridge razor in the shower to shave the back of my neck, but I do not plan to use cartridge razors for shaving until I am too old to be trusted with a sharp blade.

I shave in the shower every day. It was a total game changer. I get great shaves every day. More water. More heat. More steam. No worries about making a mess either. It’s perfect.

other than using more water, I have no idea why people scoff at shower shaving. It works better for me.

Ok so I'm new to DE shaving. Been using carts my whole life until a month ago. I'm using Barbasol which is probably part of my problem from what I'm reading.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
No. I have tried it a few times and did not enjoy it. On the rare occasion that leaves me unsatisfied with my shave, I take a razor into the shower for touch up. I don't like to shower before shaving, either. I like to wet my face well with hot water and proceed, but I do like a shower after shaving. Then I splash on 4711 as aftershave. I submit that if your razor is pulling, trying new soaps and blades may be in order, but YMMV. Good luck.

edit...just read you use Barbasol. A high quality soap and brush will really help. A Simpson T2 is a great low cost brush. I'd get a T2 and a puck of Pre de Provence and, if still needed, try other blades.

Ok so I'm new to DE shaving. Been using carts my whole life until a month ago. I'm using Barbasol which is probably part of my problem from what I'm reading.
in this case do not use feathers, start with something more like derbys, preshave will still help but yes, ditch barbasol and get yourself some good cream and basic brush.

There are several versions of Barbasol. I consider the Extra Moisturizing be to fairly decent, but it will not come close to performing like a high quality shaving soap lathered with a good brush.

You are 50 now and your beard has started turning grey. As you age even more and your hair begins to turn white, it will be even harder to shave. Thus, now is the time to improve your shaving skills so you will be ready later.

What razor blade and razor are you using? With a coarse beard, you need a blade that is on the sharper side. I have a white beard and need super-sharp blades. @vegrat suggested using Derby blades, but if your beard is coarse, they might not be sharp enough. If I try to use them, they tug terribly and cause pain.

I do not recommend Feather blades for those with coarse beards as the edge on a Feather blade is not very durable. They are super-sharp on the first shave, but they are noticeably less sharp on the second shave. I cannot get through a third shave without the blade feeling harsh on my face. Many shavers have reported a similar experience with Feather blades. The blades are too expensive to discard after two shaves when there are less expensive blades that will work just as well and last longer.

When you take a shower, be sure to use shampoo and conditioner on your face as well as your hair. That will clean your beard hair, hydrate it fully to make it softer, and make your skin slicker so you will get a better shave.

I shower shave and have done for a few years now. I get great shaves and clean up time is minimal. I use a fog free plastic mirror. However I shave with a Schick injector with a ridged handle, a Broman or a Gillette Guard. All grippy handles. I would not use a DE in the shower personally as I really need to concentrate with a DE on the angle and maintain a careful grip.

There are several versions of Barbasol. I consider the Extra Moisturizing be to fairly decent, but it will not come close to performing like a high quality shaving soap lathered with a good brush.

You are 50 now and your beard has started turning grey. As you age even more and your hair begins to turn white, it will be even harder to shave. Thus, now is the time to improve your shaving skills so you will be ready later.

What razor blade and razor are you using? With a coarse beard, you need a blade that is on the sharper side. I have a white beard and need super-sharp blades. @vegrat suggested using Derby blades, but if your beard is coarse, they might not be sharp enough. If I try to use them, they tug terribly and cause pain.

I do not recommend Feather blades for those with coarse beards as the edge on a Feather blade is not very durable. They are super-sharp on the first shave, but they are noticeably less sharp on the second shave. I cannot get through a third shave without the blade feeling harsh on my face. Many shavers have reported a similar experience with Feather blades. The blades are too expensive to discard after two shaves when there are less expensive blades that will work just as well and last longer.

When you take a shower, be sure to use shampoo and conditioner on your face as well as your hair. That will clean your beard hair, hydrate it fully to make it softer, and make your skin slicker so you will get a better shave.
I've been using a Viking razor with Astra blades. It's all I have.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Since there have begun to be blade suggestions, I'll offer this. I, too, have a coarse, grey beard. I have tried a lot of blades. Crystals and Personna Platinums are the sweet spot for me. They have excellent sharpness and durability. I find them smoother than Feathers. I get both from West Coast, the Personna Platinum in the UK blue and red packaging, supposedly the same blades as the Personna Israeli Reds but lower cost. Go figure.

Top Bottom