What's new

Do you prefer an aggressive razor or a mild razor?

Well, in the past I have worn a beard. For several years, in fact.
I decided that my barber, when he cut the hair on my head, would also tidy my beard and beard margins.
He did this and it worked.
P.S. Having enjoyed a beard I am a bit radical about shaving (which I enjoy).
I am a firm believer that shave counts in posts should refer to full face shaves.
If they don't this should be pointed out, e.g.:
"I got 50 shaves from a Derby Extra (but I'm just trimming the edges of my beard)."
That sort of post would be both honest and helpful.

Last edited:
Well, in the past I have worn a beard. For several years, in fact.
I decided that my barber, when he cut the hair on my head, would also tidy my beard and beard margins.
He did this and it worked.
P.S. Having enjoyed a beard I am a bit radical about shaving (which I enjoy).
I am a firm believer that shave counts in posts should refer to full face shaves.
If they don't this should be pointed out, e.g.:
"I got 50 shaves from a Derby Extra (but I'm just trimming the edges of my beard)."
That sort of post would be both honest and helpful.
I agree and would add that any type of product recommendation should be with full disclosure as to the amount of facial hair.

Well, it sounded like you were complaining in getting a close shave. I misunderstood.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I was more complaining about my fast beard growth. Even when I was using a cartridge razor and shaving extremely closely (to the point that I had constant ingrown hairs) I'd still get 5 o'clock shadow by the afternoon and have to shave again at night.

I've tried a more aggressive razor before (a Fatip Grande), and it didn't particularly give a smoother shave - I can get plenty smooth enough with a mild-medium razor and a sharp blade - but I managed to nick myself all over the place with it, and ran back to the safety of my DE89 after a couple of shaves, and gave the Fatip away.

The combination of fair skin and thick, dark fast-growing facial hair isn't much fun. But it's also why I care about shaving... if I could just do a quick one-pass shave and have it still be smooth by lunchtime, I probably wouldn't care so much.

Last edited:
@Marlor i know that may be frowned upon on this forum, but I’m a beard guy, if i wasn’t going into law enforcement i would have a beard, have you considered that? Hen you’d just need to shave your lines? Just a thought. If my beard was so thick i had to shave twice a day, I’d be bearding it up.

I've definitely considered that. My father has the same issue and that's what he does. He rocks a full, Santa-style beard, and looking back at past photos, it appears he's done so since the 60s.

But I don't particularly like the look, and every time I've considered it, my wife has threatened to divorce me.

@Marlor i bet she’d love it once she gave it a shot, but hey, for now it means you get to shave a lot, which is something i enjoy.

I very much doubt she would. She seems to have a literal phobia of beards (pogonophobia - I just looked it up), which makes things interesting when Dad is around.

But I don't mind shaving either. That's why I discovered this place.

For me, it's about how smooth the razor is. For example, I prefer the ATT S-1 to the S-2, the RR Slant Prototype to the Wunderbar.

I sacrifice efficiency for comfort. I have a Fatip Piccolo which gives me a super bbs shave, but usually leaves me feeling raw. On the other hand, my RR game changer does not give as close a shave, but there is no discomfort afterwards. I prefer the game changer due to its forgiveness of my sloppy technique.

I prefer mild razors. I like to shave with the least amount of thought in blade angle as possible. I want a comfortable shave and if that means I sacrifice closeness I am OK with that. That being said, I only shave with the grain and sometimes across as anytime I have tried to get closer I get ingrown hairs. A mild razor gets me as close as I need (which is pretty damn close). It also helps I can shave my head with it too. My current fav is Merkur open comb.

I haven't studied the subject but as long as the blade can get to my skin, I don't see the need for more blade gap. As long as I use a sharp blade that glides through hairs, that means I don't have to exert any pressure to cut hair (more blade gap won't make a dull blade cut better - at least IMHO). More blade gap doesn't necessarily equal closer shave for me.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
For me, it's about how smooth the razor is.

Smooth and efficient, thats the ideal for me.

I sacrifice efficiency for comfort. I have a Fatip Piccolo which gives me a super bbs shave, but usually leaves me feeling raw.

Try your Piccolo with a different angle. Adjust the handle angle until you dont feel the blade but can hear it cutting. Get it just right and you'll have a BBS shave with a "I dont feel like I've shaved" post shave feel.

It doesn't matter what we prefer.
It only matters what you prefer.

The purpose of this thread is to see the opinion of the many gents here and what they like. It does matter because it may effect the opinion of someone who is reading it. I may decide I want to go with the majority for awhile. Which seems to be mild razors.

So, I was watching a video from PAA for their new adjustable. He made the statement that three piece razors should be snug, not tight. Then he's talking about what makes his new adjustable, adjustable it the amount of snugness. I am going to try this snug idea because I perceive I may be over tightening and making the blade not as effective. Any comments?

I get close shaves with a Feather ASD1 and Feather blade. I guess that means I like mild with a sharp blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So, I was watching a video from PAA for their new adjustable. He made the statement that three piece razors should be snug, not tight. Then he's talking about what makes his new adjustable, adjustable it the amount of snugness. I am going to try this snug idea because I perceive I may be over tightening and making the blade not as effective. Any comments?
When people just lightly snug a razor they are trying to gain razor gap so to make the razor more aggressive, just make some shims and put one or two under the primary blade to make it more aggressive and lot safer IMO. Razors are meant to be rigid and tight to get the best results. A lightly tightened handle(snug) can also cause the blade to vibrate more giving your skin something it might not want!

When people just lightly snug a razor they are trying to gain razor gap so to make the razor more aggressive, just make some shims and put one or two under the primary blade to make it more aggressive and lot safer IMO. Razors are meant to be rigid and tight to get the best results. A lightly tightened handle(snug) can also cause the blade to vibrate more giving your skin something it might not want!
Thank you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I very much agree Ron.

Top Bottom