What's new

Do You Ever Get to the Point I'll Pass, I Don't Need It?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have set my limit on SR's at 30. Only one more to go. Once I reach my limit, there should be no need to get any more SR's as 30 makes a nice monthly rotation. Letting a SR "rest" for 30 days (Dovo would love me) between use works perfectly for me.

As for soaps, I have 8 different types that I use as the mood takes me. Only 3 brushes now and only one of those that gets used.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My recent purchases of razors and brushes brought little satisfaction as they were not an improvement on what I already own. I intend now to limit myself to cheap consumables only and possibly to move on the hardware I use the least. In recent months I have rid myself of things I no longer need, including around 50% of my clothing, footwear, and other possessions and I found it very liberating. A limited choice of items that please me greatly, while still keeping variety, is becoming more important to me as I get older. At one stage it felt as if my possessions owned me but not any more.

Having just started back into wet shaving in January after 30+ years of electric shaving I would have to say NO...it's way too early on this adventure to start thinking about any limitations.
Like others here I will possibly get to that point but it may be some time before that happens!
:straight:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Soaps, Aftershaves, Brushes, Razors, Blades, etc. It's the latest and the greatest. You don't have one just like that. Everybody swears by it. You gotta get it.

Age-wise I'm getting ready to hit 71, got 65 soaps (I know some of you have over 100), 60 aftershaves, not that many razors and brushes, but still I'm susceptible to what other people saying is a "must have". I think I want to break the cycle because I know I can't use all this before I croak. What say ye?
I quit buying stuff a couple of years ago except ARKO and aftershave which needs to be replenished periodically. I have a few straight razors, haven’t bought another in 2 1/2 years and have no intention of buying another. I had to get a new strop a few months ago but that’s about it. I never really got into soaps, brushes and aftershaves. I guess you would call me a minimalist.

I started wetshaving at age 63 and binged on most everything. At 75, I've settled on my favorites and have chucked or PIF'd anything I no longer use on a regular basis. I'm rarely tempted anymore.
I don't think I started til maybe 66, pretty late to the party.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bought two inexpensive PAA brushes the other day. I'll need some new blades in the not to distance future... but other than that, contentment is settling in. Some of this is due to age, I think.... I'll be 69 next month.... My mom passed away last year and she was a collector of crystal, china, glass decorations of all kinds. When you see that much stuff accumulated over a lifetime, it sort of makes you want to start paring stuff down sooner than later.

That doesn't mean I won't enjoy what others are experiencing.... because I will.

Planned acquisition is the key phrase for me. I don't like being put in a Skinner box! It is a constant battle to stay ahead of my wandering eyes. By having certain things that I really want, but can't buy right away, I avoid impulse purchases because those will further delay the things I really want. I develop a certain calm at times in the face of advertising bombardments. Just go reorganise your soap collection and blades, sharpen and strop your razor more often than needed, etc.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I think I'm at that point. Even though there are a handful of soaps that interest me, I have so many, most unused, that the truth is I'll never even use some of the ones I have. When you get to that point, you realize...why the heck should I buy another? Amazon had a sale on Perma-Sharp double edge blades. A forum member posted the link. Decent blades at a good price, $10 for $100. I had them in the cart and then I realized...what's the point? I already have 1400 blades! Why do I need another 100? I think with certain products you do get to a saturation point. I also have a tremendous number of aftershaves and half a dozen colognes. So...good there as well.

That having been said, I do enjoy getting up and having many choices. But...adding more choices...not necessary anymore. At the very least, it'll slow to a trickle if not dry up.

There is a rumor that Fine is coming out with a Bay Rum...hmmmm...that's gonna be a tough one!

Are we acquiring or collecting...that is the question. I have been acquiring for two years, jumping at things that
I am curious to try or following the herd. Now, I am trying to settle down to collecting. Choosing products and
razors that fulfill a niche or theme. By setting these parameters, I can pass on most things that do not fit my
collecting goals. I still have SRAD and SBAD, even SSAD but they are more under control...or so I imagine.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I can only hope to reach your level of pure awesomeness one day. Mad respect for that number!
He he...it's always fun.

IMG_20220404_205456.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a soap, a razor, some blades, a two brush rotation, and four colognes that I use as aftershaves, chiefly using only two. I have been pondering another razor for months. I am 73. I have been wet shaving since the mid-1960s. I will admit I tried a few "not quite it" razors before I picked my current one.

I can pass, but it isn't always easy. When I got into DESR I got into the hobby, and ended up with some ... issues.. around collecting. I let the collection go, kept 2 razors, soap, blades. I came back because I needed a new razor. And soap is low, so soap, and blades are low, so blades. And that is it. Get what I need and use.

I agree with all those that say what makes you happy, but, just be sure it IS what makes you happy, not just for the moment you open the box, or use it the first time, or talk to friends here about it...

The things you own can end up owning you. Just make sure its a choice, not a compulsion. *my two cents*

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My mom passed away last year and she was a collector of crystal, china, glass decorations of all kinds. When you see that much stuff accumulated over a lifetime, it sort of makes you want to start paring stuff down sooner than later.
An interesting perspective, and paring down is what I am also doing. My Mother died two years ago and I collected her belongings from the retirement home. A few old clothes, some photographs, and a wedding ring, in a couple of plastic bags; not much to show for a life. It upsets me greatly how little she had, and sometimes I think the pain of mourning her will never turn to happy memories. It feels as if the only thing my Mother left behind is the pain of missing her, but perhaps what she had, and left behind, instead of belongings is me and her granddaughter. Maybe she made the same decision to pare down which somehow seems more bearable.

I have found that I get decision fatigue quickly. I tend to stick to a setup and enjoy routine. I use one razor, one brush and rotate some soaps and aftershaves but only buy and use one at a time. I'm currently sampling blades for the first time in 5 years which has reminded me of that decision fatigue... Works for me, If I had 10 soaps I'd never get out of the bathroom.
I think this best describes me. I've been wet shaving since 2008 and was quite minimalist until just a couple years ago. Now that I've gotten into SR shaving, I LOVE collecting some vintage straights. With that being said, I do pride myself on my purchase discipline (my clean-up and restore discipline and mistakes we won't discuss). I could have a hundred straights and still want more. I can always put 99 away and shave with one for weeks at a time. I then make the decision on when to cycle out when I have time. It seems to come easy with razors. Soaps and brushes are another beast. Soaps aren't collectibles. Vintage brushes can be I suppose, but brushes eventually become expendable. I don't have room to store, dry, and hang onto dozens of soaps and brushes. I have a couple of brushes. One is old with the handle cracked (I do plan on removing the knot, which still seems good, and making a new handle for it), one that I use (a cheap Semogue), and a new in box replacement for one day (another cheap Semogue). I have one shave soap, when it's gone I buy another. Daily deciding between scents/brushes would just shut me down and I would go with something until it's gone, then pull something else out until it's gone.

It's already taxing enough to figure out what tobacco I want to pack in my pipe. I don't need to pick from 12 different shave soaps daily...

linty1

My wallet cries.
Always interested in trying new soaps, but I wouldn't say it's a -need- thing. Same with razors and -sorta- brushes. That fomo pull isn't there right now... could it spring up? Sure? But I'm comfy where I'm at right now, if I see something need or it's time for a refill then I'll do that (I will work my soaps down to zero before I refill). It's a peaceful life.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Last year I found myself with 27 soaps, 14 razors, 14 brushes, 7 aftershaves and 42 types of blades, and every time I tried to choose a setup I could start thinking about it during the day and not choose until 2 minutes before I shaved that evening. I realised that I needed to downsize so I am concentrating on the soaps and aftershaves first. I am down to 22 soaps and intend to get that below 20 this year. I am not going to give up acquiring stuff, but I just have to be more choosey about what I purchase and do it with a view to what I want to end up with.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think inner peace and contentment are two very important things in life... how we get there varies greatly. What works for one person might not work for another.

I thought about joining one of the "don't buy anything for the next week/month/year threads" here, but I might find that too hmmmmmm trying to find the right word.... limiting, restrictive? Not really what I'm trying to convey. I think I'd feel less relaxed about my journey, if that makes sense. Of course, I understand why others might make that choice and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. As Clint so famously said: "A man has to know his limitations."

Add to that, I have a wife who pays attention to all our purchases. She loves me wet shaving.... but if I started to get out of control, she'd let me know in a heart beat. Others might feel that is too restrictive for them.... but we've been married a pretty long time and we've adjusted to each other. I appreciate that about her.

I do know, I found a way to know if I'm heading down a rabbit hole. I've mentioned this in other threads. I bought a back-of-the-bathroom-door organizer..... I won't add so many things that it is overflowing. Everything has to have its place, just like when I was doing fine, finish carpentry for a living. Call it my "early warning" device. ;)

Full_Length.jpg

As you can see, there is some room for expansion, but not a whole heck of a lot. With that in place and my wife as another warning device.... where can I buy 100 soaps, cheap? <eg> (evil grin).

I got into wet DE shaving a little over two years ago. I got a Henson AL13, some Col Conk soap and a cheap brush. I sold the AL and got a Henson TI22. I then bought the Yates 921 and got all three plates for it and a travel case. The Yates purchase had me sell the TI22.
I still use the same mug, cheap brush and I continue to buy the Col Conk soap. Only thing I want to buy now is the Yates modular stand for the razor (Yates has been sold out of that one for some time).
I do like coming to this site and seeing and hearing about the different razors and I would love to try a Blackbird some day, but if I bought another razor it would most likely be a replacement, not an addition.

Top Bottom