What's new

Do You Ever Get to the Point I'll Pass, I Don't Need It?

Soaps, Aftershaves, Brushes, Razors, Blades, etc. It's the latest and the greatest. You don't have one just like that. Everybody swears by it. You gotta get it.

Age-wise I'm getting ready to hit 71, got 65 soaps (I know some of you have over 100), 60 aftershaves, not that many razors and brushes, but still I'm susceptible to what other people saying is a "must have". I think I want to break the cycle because I know I can't use all this before I croak. What say ye?

I say do what makes you happy :D If you can afford it and it brings you joy then why not splurge a bit?

Personally I have no interest in shaving gear other than soaps. I keep a modest rotation of about 10-15 soaps, when I buy soaps I aim to buy different brands, not for example 3 scents in same base from same maker. My goal is to try new soaps, not for the latest and greatest but for fun

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Never one to follow the crowd, I think I'm pretty close to FOMO-proof for most things, not just shave gear.

My shaves are consistently good (minus user-induced brain-farts every now and then) and even bad soaps are usable. These days, I have other things to spend my money on that bring both the wife and I more satisfaction. If I want something, I'll bounce it off the wife to see if she has any objections. We are both savers by nature, so a little splurge here and there on ourselves is almost never an issue.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Soaps, Aftershaves, Brushes, Razors, Blades, etc. It's the latest and the greatest. You don't have one just like that. Everybody swears by it. You gotta get it.

Age-wise I'm getting ready to hit 71, got 65 soaps (I know some of you have over 100), 60 aftershaves, not that many razors and brushes, but still I'm susceptible to what other people saying is a "must have". I think I want to break the cycle because I know I can't use all this before I croak. What say ye?

Wayne! Oh my gosh, its been forever since I've seen Wayne's world! I tell you what, were getting into this shaving hobby full swing, party time excellent! HEHE. :p

I am still new to this shaving hobby, but I already own two high end razors, a Feather AS-D2, and a Rex Ambassador. The only reason I got a second razor, is because I wasn't completely happy with the first razor. The Rex Ambassador is the holy grail razor for me, I achieved happiness finally!

Regarding soap, what good DE shaver doesn't love their soaps? HEHE - I just got done ordering a bunch of soap, at least enough for an entire year, that was the main intention. But I also wanted variety of brands and scents. Since I am still new to this hobby, it was important that I got stocked up.

Now, I have no intention on collecting soaps, none of that 20, 50, 100 or more soaps for me, thats unnecessary! What am I going to do with all that soap? I'd have to start bathing in it just to get through it all! HAHA!

In regards to bowls, once I have the holy grail of bowls, I don't need anymore, Captains Choice LARGE, is more then enough bowl for me thank you very much. Regarding brushes, well, thats where it shares something in common with my razor journey.

First brush, pure badger, and its not good. So I ordered a Maseto Avatar 30 knott 56 loft silver tipped badger brush, but because its coming from China, its taking a very long time to get here. So, I won't have that upgrade of a brush for a while yet.

I ordered my first pre-shave, jury is still out on weather or not those are worth the money for me. I have a few aftershaves, nothing crazy amount though! I ordered some Thayers Which Hazel which is supposed to come today, can't wait to try that out for the next shave.

Some folks on here like to collect, it makes them happy, and thats great! I want people to be happy with what they have is all. I myself am not about the collecting aspect. I am in this hobby to have the wonderful journey of shaving my face, and feeling good afterwords.

I get a sense of pride once I see myself in the mirror all shaved up and squared away, civilized. I enjoy the hobby, but the products I buy are the means to that end. These latest 3-shaves have been making me feel like a kid again. Its the weirdest thing what this shaving hobby does to me.

Its lessened my depression, couple that with a good dose of vitamin B and I am good. As far as the specific question on when to stop? Well, since I am not collecting razors, once I was happy with my Rex Ambassador, there was no need for anymore.

A person could easily spend 500 dollars or more on a single razor made in Turkey. But unless your rich, you'd practically go bankrupt to do it. lol So I easily draw the line on that stuff, no need for that fancy pants razors with decked out golden rings or jewls.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
All I need is my GEM Micromatic Open Comb, Personna GEM PTFE blades, and ARKO! soap. A brush if I’m feeling fancy (and I have an APShaveCo with a Cashmere knot, so it’s hella fancy!).

What I have and scheme to have is a shameful, shameful story, but the guilt makes it so enjoyable.

@jayjacque - just live longer. Problem solved

We are both similar in age. According to the actuarial tables, my life expectancy is around 15 years. I have enough of everything to get me past that point without ever purchasing anything else. However, there are some recent artisan soap formulations that are so good that I still want to purchase them, even if that means getting rid of lesser quality soaps that I seldom use. As I get older, there are many activities that I can no longer enjoy like I did when I was younger. Thus, I want to make certain the activities I still enjoy are as enjoyable as possible.

Thus, if you can afford it and it improves the quality of your life, get it while you can. I just had a neighbor pass away. He was a few years older than I, but he had a massive stroke several years ago and spent his final years confined to a wheelchair and bed. We never know when something like that might happen so take advantage of opportunities that present themselves while you can.

I have found that I get decision fatigue quickly. I tend to stick to a setup and enjoy routine. I use one razor, one brush and rotate some soaps and aftershaves but only buy and use one at a time. I'm currently sampling blades for the first time in 5 years which has reminded me of that decision fatigue... Works for me, If I had 10 soaps I'd never get out of the bathroom.

I have reached he point where I cam able to say “I’ll pass on it”. I had upwards of almost 70 razors at one point, but have since scaled it back to 20. My goal is to reduce that number down further so I can focus on those razors I truly love. My soaps and blade inventory could use some thinning out, and if I need more I can buy them at that time. I hate to see my inventory sitting around collecting dust. I still enjoy the hobby immensely, but more soaps and blades just doesn’t increase the enjoyment for me.

I've gotten to the point where I'm getting a lot pickier about what I buy.
I'm not as likely to add to my cart to get free shipping.
Over on the bay, a lot goes on my watchlist that I never bid on.

So I'm still purchasing things, but not nearly as often.

Just like you at 62, well... I may have dove deeper in my time, but ya; enough is enough. It would now take something incredibly remarkable to sway my opine. (Oh, I will say, if you haven't had the opportunity to shave with a stainless Timeless, I hope you'll find someone to loan you theirs for your experience and review. Might be a wonder to you!) In any case, close your ears, and believe less than half of what you read. When you're down to a broken handle, a pack of blades, the last of the last flat of soap - THEN see what's the latest and greatest! I'm sure it will amaze us more 10, 15 years from now than just next week.

edit:
Oh-by-the-way, I may be wrong.
second edit:
I notice I didn't include my brushes. Hell, I don't think I'll go through ONE of them in all that time, let alone all twenty or so.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not much of a shopper. I do have a stockpile of consumables (soap and blades), and grab a new one from that when needed, but have no wish to be adding to it.

As for hardware, razors and brushes, I have a very modest array. Two razors and three brushes do the bulk of the work. I got sick of buying new stuff, only to discover that it worked no better than what I already had.

I say take one day at a time and do the things that you enjoy and bring you pleasure……I enjoy shaving, honing, stropping, and trying new soaps, aftershaves, razors, and other grooming products. Some guys enjoy tinkering in their backyard shop, playing golf, fishing, hunting, and just farting around doing other things. Our hobby is just as enjoyable to us. 👍😊💈

I'm now at the point of not buying any new razors, brushes, or blades - and I will only replace soap when it is used up. I have enough GEM and DE razors and blades for the rest of my life, and I have learned what works and doesn't work for me. My only concern is potential phaseout of tallow soaps, since I just can't seem to get equivalent performance out of non-tallow varieties.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Lather, shave and be merry....for only God knows how long any of us have on this Earth. :)

Let the kids sort through everything after we are gone. ;) :cool:

;)

I started wetshaving at age 63 and binged on most everything. At 75, I've settled on my favorites and have chucked or PIF'd anything I no longer use on a regular basis. I'm rarely tempted anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom