What's new

do you critique what other men wear?

do you find yourself critiquing the dress clothes other men are wearing?

In a word… Yes. Dress, business and casual, and not only what, but how they are wearing it, and accessorize. Many men dress like they were never taught to dress, bother to look at how well dressed men put themselves together, or care at all about how they look, and lack any sense of style. As you put it, dressed in the dark.

There are a number of things that are glaring to my eye, socks that do not match the trousers, like brown socks with black or blue pants. Mismatched belt and shoes, black and brown for example. Wearing both braces and belt, is a sure sign of in security, clip on braces is another. Matching tie and pocket square, same color different shade or fabric is passable, exact same color and fabric doesn’t work. And lastly is monochromatic when there is no contrast … I’ll wear a black Flannel suit with a smooth finished shirt, woven tie, damask pocket square and shear silk hose from time to time, varying texture, finish and fabric, is in my opinion the only way to pull off the monochromatic look, otherwise it looks flat, as if it has been painted on.

Accessories… Wallet made of anything other than leather, wallet that doesn’t match the color of shoes and belt, stainless watchband with a suit looks like crap, I don’t care how much the watch cost. Disposable lighter, really now, if one can afford a suit and watch he can buy a decent lighter. Shoes that have not been taken care of, as in they need to be cleaned or polished, require resoling or any other repair looks tacky. French cuff shirts with a blazer, unless silk knot or some other non metallic cufflinks are used to join the cuff. Metal cufflinks, coupled and the metal buttons of the surgeons cuff on a blazer, is too much. Last but not least is what the punks these days call “Bling” it’s tacky, period.

I’m second generation American. My father, born in 1928 to Sicilian immigrants, dressed for dinner, that is to say, upon returning from work, he showered, shaved, and then put on a suit before sitting down to dinner. Suit and tie was required growing up, if we were going out to dinner. As such, I understand my standards of dress are not the norm today, but I would not change it if I could.

I know fashion is subjective

Fashion, is the latest greatest money making fad that can be sold to the sheeple who lack any sense of style or grace. Fashion and Fad come and go... Style is Enduring

Last edited:
Whoa, you're pretty exacting Demented.

I'm with ya on the watchband, but I'm not matching wallet to belt and shoes.
I'm not going to move all that stuff back and forth from wallet to wallet.

No, because I am a man. It's wasting psychic energy to do so, IMO. Of course, if someone works in
the fashion industry or sells clothes for a living, then I could see them having a critical eye and sizing people up on a regular basis. There's a lot of things going on to pay attention to on any given day, but sizing up another guy's wardrobe isn't high on my list.

Last edited:
I do notice when people are better dressed than when I do, so I can learn something. My usual everyday clothes are slacks and the cuban shirts, or something similar. If I am feeling lazy, I'll dress in jeans and a shirt for school. When I dress up, that is when it counts. I usually get complliments when I am dressed up for the evening. People in Arizona usually dress up in Arizona casual. Thats usually jeans or something like that with collared shirt not tucked in. Occaisonally you see some people better dressed when out in about.

I do not critique what other men wear. I find in my daily travels that people judge me by what I wear , (a cintas work uniform)and it sometimes gets the best of me. I have to check myself when this happens , and it gets old, fast. I would say that if you are going to do this , be discrete .

Many men dress like they were never taught to dress, bother to look at how well dressed men put themselves together, or care at all about how they look, and lack any sense of style. As you put it, dressed in the dark.
Excellent post, tho tending toward exactness and perhaps a Jesuit's sensibility. However, your choice of font was less than subtle. But all in all, a winning post! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom