What's new

Do we all need Baby Butt Smoothness?

It is really hard for me to be completely BBS. On the sides on my Adam’s apple is really difficult since the hairs grow flat against the skin and the skin it’s not smooth. An aggressive and efficient razor with a sharp blade will shave everything off hair and skin imperfections, and that’s not good. So I prefer efficient mild razors with sharp and forgiving blades, I do 3 passes, touch up on the Adam’s apple and call it a day. So I’m never BBS but everyshave is comfortable. My beard grows fast so a true BBS will only last a couple extra hours and after a few days, usually 3 shaves in a row my face wants a break, and at my job I sometimes have to wear a dust mask/respirator so I rather my face not be raw from a bad shave.

On top of all of that I have dark hair with light skin so I always have a 5 o’clock shadow. BBS is not worth it for me, give me a close comfortable everytime. It may sound bad but I don’t have sensitive skin or get ingrown hairs so I’ll take that trade off.

It's BBS or don't shave for me. I actually go against popular belief. Ingrown hairs are hairs not cut cleanly. I shave them as low as possible, they have no choice but to grow straight up, no pointy tips. I only use SE razors with a lot of blade exposure, ATT SE1/SE2 and MMOC/MMCP. Used properly, they are extremely smooth and efficient. Had mild ingrown issues, but not anymore and I get the closest shave possible. And I only shave ATG.

Thanks everyone for your insights and opinions on this subject. Its much appreciated to know the differing opinions on the subject of BBS.

For myself, I've decided that a DFS 1 1/2 shave is good enough for myself. I'm a person who cannot grow a full beard, it just comes in a loose patch, so I do not have to shave a large amount of beard. One pass along the cheeks and two passes along the neck and jawline do what I need. Its not BBS, but if I chase BBS I get in-growns, so I can live with it.

I hope this thread has been of help to all of you. Thank you.

Thanks everyone for your insights and opinions on this subject. Its much appreciated to know the differing opinions on the subject of BBS.

For myself, I've decided that a DFS 1 1/2 shave is good enough for myself. I'm a person who cannot grow a full beard, it just comes in a loose patch, so I do not have to shave a large amount of beard. One pass along the cheeks and two passes along the neck and jawline do what I need. Its not BBS, but if I chase BBS I get in-growns, so I can live with it.

I hope this thread has been of help to all of you. Thank you.

:thumbup1: Discussions like this will always help more people than just the person who started the thread.

I go for BBS every shave (shaving every other day).

If i have to save everyday, i can get close to BBS ad leave it at that.

I found i got ingrown hairs around the chin and neck areas. Wasn't sure why this was but i found with a mild razor id let my technique and care for hair growth direction take s back seat when shaving in a rush.

Oddly since replacing my Muhle r89 with the following razors for the daily shave, rocca r96, r41 and ATT h1, i keep my technique strict and pay attention to direction of hair growth. Looking back over the last couple of months.... Ive not had any ingrown hairs....

I keep the area of the skin stretched that is being shaved (as if i was using a straight). Where hair grows in different directions, i use shorter strokes to tackle that area. 2 passes with a tidy up leaves me with easy BBS shaves every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit to not reading all posts. There is also an appreciation and enjoyment of developing the skill to get a BBS using any razor in ones arsenal, especially a self honed and maintained SR.

The goal should be a shave that is comfortable and that you are comfortable with.

I think the BBS as a goal is a legacy of the past century of razor marketing.

The thing I've learned on the forums I frequent is that BBS to one person isn't the same to another and thats where it all gets a little out of sorts...

A true BBS is when you can pass the cotton ball test on any surface you shaved!! Yet there are quite a few that feel that as long as they achieved BBS on their face and not their neck, they still call it a BBS shave when in fact it wasn't... Then you have those that use percentages like they were 90% BBS or the like and feel that qualifies them to say they had a BBS shave. Its either BBS or its not!! As simple as that!!

I personally have never had a true BBS shave in over 40+ yrs of shaving and probably never will, but I do achieve a very high quality DFS every time out and even more so since acquiring my SS General SE and Ti Timeless .95 SB razors and that is ok with me. The best shaves I've ever had but I know they weren't BBS because there a couple spots on my neck that the hair grows in 3-4 different directions within the area that its just not in the cards without taking a layer or two of skin and some massive irritation.

My advice would be to learn to shave to get the results that satisfy you without any discomfort and remember what that is and try to achieve that exact shave daily and be happy...

I don't get BBS on the neck as I get a lot of irritation. So I got for a 2 way shave which is really nice and acceptable by my standard.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The thing I've learned on the forums I frequent is that BBS to one person isn't the same to another and thats where it all gets a little out of sorts...

A true BBS is when you can pass the cotton ball test on any surface you shaved!! Yet there are quite a few that feel that as long as they achieved BBS on their face and not their neck, they still call it a BBS shave when in fact it wasn't... Then you have those that use percentages like they were 90% BBS or the like and feel that qualifies them to say they had a BBS shave. Its either BBS or its not!! As simple as that!!

I personally have never had a true BBS shave in over 40+ yrs of shaving and probably never will, but I do achieve a very high quality DFS every time out and even more so since acquiring my SS General SE and Ti Timeless .95 SB razors and that is ok with me. The best shaves I've ever had but I know they weren't BBS because there a couple spots on my neck that the hair grows in 3-4 different directions within the area that its just not in the cards without taking a layer or two of skin and some massive irritation.

My advice would be to learn to shave to get the results that satisfy you without any discomfort and remember what that is and try to achieve that exact shave daily and be happy...
I label most of my shaves in my B&B Journal on a good day as; bbs on my face and dfs on my neck. This is at least honest

A lot depends on how you feel on the day.
For example I currently have a nasty bug that involves coughing, sneezing and feeling tired and vague. I set out to have a good shave but if I get tired or fed up I leave it at two passes. This happened today and I ended up with a very nice DFS. I'm not complaining and am wondering whether I should do two pass shaves more often (the passes are atg except on the upper lip which is xtg atg.).

What I want to know is why anyone believes that they need to have a BBS. That they might want to have a BBS I can fully understand, but what is the cause of the perceived need. Do we have some male "entertainers" who get better tips with a BBS? Who is the judge who is demanding this perfection and creating this perceived need?

I chase BBS on my face, but settle for less on my neck. My neck is sensitive, and is prone to cuts, so if I chase BBS there, I will get a lot of cuts and irritation.
Same here. I'd far rather be a little bristly to my touch (ATG), while not visibly unshaven, than to be smooth but look and feel like I have a sunburn. Nobody at work is checking me for BBS.

Top Bottom