What's new

Do we all need Baby Butt Smoothness?

Hi, so, I've recently gone into wetshaving with an SE injector and some Van Der Hagen soap. Thing is, I'm not so sure BBS is really a thing I can achieve without ingrowns as I constantly struggle with them ever since I tried doing the three pass routine. I've been pretty careful to always use proper technique and such, but I still get these darned ingrowns around my neck. I'm thinking perhaps just a two pass may be more realistic for my needs. (If anyone was wondering I was using ST2 disposables as a transition between getting rid of my troublesome DE and getting my injector.)

Has anyone else came to a realization like this?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yup! I sometimes seek perfection, sometimes just do a single pass, and the rest of the time can be anywhere in between. There's no official standard of what you should achieve, other than a shave you are happy with.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I can get a BBS on my cheeks, but that's about it. A DFS on the neck and goatee area is what I aim for. I am not overly concerned as my whiskers grow back fairly quickly, so a BBS might make a few hours difference and isn't worth chasing IMO.

I can get a BBS on my cheeks, but that's about it. A DFS on the neck and goatee area is what I aim for. I am not overly concerned as my whiskers grow back fairly quickly, so a BBS might make a few hours difference and isn't worth chasing IMO.
I gotta ask, does DFS mean D*mn Fine Shave? LOL!

Yup! I sometimes seek perfection, sometimes just do a single pass, and the rest of the time can be anywhere in between. There's no official standard of what you should achieve, other than a shave you are happy with.
I agree. I never really had a lot of ingrowns until I went for the BBS routine. I think its the worst when I do XTG as usually that's my last pass to get BBS. I get a lot of tugging here unless the blade is relatively sharp to begin with and new, the shave angle is just right, and the soap is slick enough. I'm thinking that irregardless of these variables I get ingrowns anyways, so a two pass will suffice.

I find that a BBS shave requires 1 too many passes for me, leaving my neck pretty red--and it's no longer even BBS after a couple of hours. I'd say that people who see you won't know if you have a BBS (nor will anyone likely care). But people will notice if you have razor burn, nicks, and ingrown hairs.

I find that a BBS shave requires 1 too many passes for me, leaving my neck pretty red--and it's no longer even BBS after a couple of hours. I'd say that people who see you won't know if you have a BBS (nor will anyone likely care). But people will notice if you have razor burn, nicks, and ingrown hairs.
Yeah. I mean, for me, I did BBS. I can still see the follicles where my neck hair would grow even when the shave feels BBS, so for me, BBS is not really justified if I can still see the follicles. Might as well use Nair (Naire?) hair removal for that.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I never go for a BBS anymore. I just aim for 3 passes with the DE or 2 passes with the cartridge. If it turns out better than expected then Whoopee!!

If you are a daily shaver, I find using a sharp blade with a mild razor does the trick, no skin stretching needed. I am at the point where I get BBS with any razor, so I look for other things besides how aggressive a razor is before making a purchase. My face thanked me when I first tried a pre-war Tech with a Kai blade. Same thing with the Game Changer .68 baseplate. I have the .84 also and it is great, but for a daily shave and a happier face, the .68 leaves zero irritation and same result.

For some shavers though, I also think it is possible that a razor can be too mild if you want BBS, irritation free. Constantly going over areas to chase BBS can cause an issue as well. I can get BBS with my 57 Super Speed, but it takes more strokes to achieve that and I wouldn’t want to go for BBS daily with that one. Still love it though.

Thing is, I'm not so sure BBS is really a thing I can achieve without ingrowns as I constantly struggle with them ever since I tried doing the three pass routine.
Don't chase BBS if it causes a problems. No one else will know the difference between DFS and BBS which only lasts a few hours anyway.

Don't chase BBS if it causes a problems. No one else will know the difference between DFS and BBS which only lasts a few hours anyway.
Exactly. The neckline is still noticeable for me and BBS does not last long. So yeah, the benefits are overshadowed by the negatives. I'm just gonna limit to two passes, one pass on a day's beard.

I've never considered ingrowns in the past but since I now shave everyday I have to consider them. As I read it BBS = more prone to ingrowns than DFS... Can anyone confirm?

For some shavers though, I also think it is possible that a razor can be too mild if you want BBS, irritation free. Constantly going over areas to chase BBS can cause an issue as well. I can get BBS with my 57 Super Speed, but it takes more strokes to achieve that and I wouldn’t want to go for BBS daily with that one. Still love it though.

I’ve found this to be 100% correct. I went from a Muhle R89 to a R41 and I’m amazed how BBS my neck gets without even chasing a BBS. I think the blade also is a factor though.

I don’t necessarily want a BBS shave but when you get one it’s great.

I never go further than two passes, one with and one across the grain. I do this whether I’m using a straight or safety razor. I always end up with a smooth face, no irritation, and no ingrowns. I don’t chase specific results, just two passes and done. It’s humbling and much more relaxing to shave without expectations.

I can achieve BBS but it depends more on the razor than whether I am doing 3 pass routine. For some razors like my R41, a 2 pass gets me close but I know if I go for 3 it not be as comfortable as say 3 with my 56 Red Tip. So for me it’s knowing how much my face can take with a particular razor.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I consistently get bbs with dfs on my neck. A ccs (close comfortable shave) won't cut it. For me there is no such thing as a ccs. If there is the faintest stubble along my jaw line it will itch, and I find I will scratch my jaw line like a dog with it's paw. I found the pursuit of bbs to be worth it. It's also something that may elude one until it's surrendered. The process will help hone you technique, or your technique is honed along the way. I went through a period in the beginning of reduction to the point of no itching as a satisfactory outcome. The satisfactory outcome ended up being bbs with dfs on my neck. I've found for me it's a fine line and a razors edge lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom