What's new

Do Replated Razors Shave Smoother?

I recently got a replated NEW Deluxe on a Stork handle from Chris at Razorplate.
A1949770-884E-4ACA-B56B-469362CB70D4.jpeg

6B128BBD-B72E-4B84-8B58-FA49B60EEC4E.jpeg

One thing I noticed almost immediately is that it shaves a bit smoother than it did before. It’s not a quantum leap, but definitely noticeable. My thoughts are that there is probably more than one reason for this.

1. The hand buffing done as part of the prep. I have no idea how the head of this razor was buffed or smoothed out in the factory days of the 1930’s. It may have been finished by hand on a buffer, but the guy probably had to do 300 a day, as opposed to Chris doing one at a time to his high standards.

2. The new finish. No bare brass spots or wear. I have an unproven theory that some finishes are slicker than others. Hard finishes such as Rhodium and Chrome are slicker than nickel. Nickel is a little slicker than gold or silver. This is a new finish, called Black Krome. Still in the testing phase.

I’m curious. Have other folks that have replated razors noticed an increase in smoothness?

I recently got a replated NEW Deluxe on a Stork handle from Chris at Razorplate.
View attachment 864720
View attachment 864732

One thing I noticed almost immediately is that it shaves a bit smoother than it did before. It’s not a quantum leap, but definitely noticeable. My thoughts are that there is probably more than one reason for this.

1. The hand buffing done as part of the prep. I have no idea how the head of this razor was buffed or smoothed out in the factory days of the 1930’s. It may have been finished by hand on a buffer, but the guy probably had to do 300 a day, as opposed to Chris doing one at a time to his high standards.

2. The new finish. No bare brass spots or wear. I have an unproven theory that some finishes are slicker than others. Hard finishes such as Rhodium and Chrome are slicker than nickel. Nickel is a little slicker than gold or silver. This is a new finish, called Black Krome. Still in the testing phase.

I’m curious. Have other folks that have replated razors noticed an increase in smoothness?

Hi Mark
Yes is the answer and if you ask Chris he will give you a half hour long Scientific explaination of why it feels smoother. I also before Chris explained to me had the same theory/gut feeling that when using a satin finished razor as opposed to a high polished razor it seemed to me that the high polished had better face glide. Also felt it when I had my Fatboy replated In Rhodium. It just had better glide when it came back than when it left.
So your theory is correct!

Oh and that razor is absolutely stunning and I can’t wait till the testing period is over as I can think of at least one razor that I’d love to have replated in Black Krome.
:a17:

The quality of the facial prep and the slickness of the lather are what determine the smoothness of the shave, not the material of the razor's head.

Santamariasteve, yes, and no. Obviously, prep and lather are key. However, my experience with two Techs convinced me other factors are at play, also. Two razors, alike except one was mint, and one more used produced different shaves, based, I think on surface smoothness or lack thereof.

Santamariasteve, yes, and no. Obviously, prep and lather are key. However, my experience with two Techs convinced me other factors are at play, also. Two razors, alike except one was mint, and one more used produced different shaves, based, I think on surface smoothness or lack thereof.
Brother Mac,

If your theory is correct then the same thing can be accomplished by occasionally putting a tiny bit of automobile wax on the cap and safety bar of a safety razor and buffing it for 15 seconds with a soft flannel cloth. That should make a used razor as slick to the face as a new or a re-plated razor.

Brother Mac,

If your theory is correct then the same thing can be accomplished by occasionally putting a tiny bit of automobile wax on the cap and safety bar of a safety razor and buffing it for 15 seconds with a soft flannel cloth. That should make a used razor as slick to the face as a new or a re-plated razor.
I agree prep, the lathers cushion and glade all contribute to the smoothness and glide but the metal or material and finish do affect the glide as well and I wish for the life of me that I could remember the scientific explanation that Chris@raxorplate explained to me a few months ago so now that this topic has come up I’ll call him and ask him to chime in and explain it. Chris is not only the very best at plating a razor that I know of but his full time job is a scientist and there is a reason why material and finish have an impact on how well a razor glides across the face.
I think you’ll find it as interesting as I did when he explained it to me.
:thumbup1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'll go along with the theory, and note that likely not everyone can feel the small amount of difference.

I only have one replated in rhodium, an SC, and those just shave so well it's hard to tell!

AA :001_tongu

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have razors replated by Chris. I also have a couple of razors coated from Delta Echo. All of those models are ones that I have stock versions of the same razors. NEWs and Techs. The replated and coated versions most definitely glide a bit better. Especially the coated Delta Echo razors.

Brother Mac,

I think it more complicated. My more used Tech gave the better shave; it was worn smooth. The differences were small, tho.

Yep. As I stated, I think it is more complicated.

You can, of course, glue a patch of sandpaper to the head of a razor and see how that shaves & compare it to a razor sans that friction. LOL. But aside from such a silly experiment, the differences between new, used, replated, and various coatings are gonna be small.

Enjoy your shaves!

Yes! I agree....I have 3 vintage Gillettes....first one is 46 Tech sent to Chris at Razorplate and it shaves much smoother with the high polish to the cap....contrast to older 31 Good Will which is OEM polish and it seems to drag a bit.

On topic of the Hoka's razor and handle; just lovely. I really like the pattern of the handle and finish.
I noticed with my gold finished Future it has a very nice slickness to it's glide, I interpret it as a result of the lacquer used to protect the gold plating. When I compare it to other Merkurs which are plated with chrome or is just the metal in a satin finish (the Vision 2000) it's noticeably smoother and supple in cap feel. Of course, all surfaces benefited by use of good creamy lather.

R

romsitsa

As part of a bigger experiment I paired my No 44 RFB with the cap of a silver replated British LC.
The caps look equal, the blade feel and efficiency is roughly equal, but the replated cap had much less friction so gave a smoother shave.

Adam

Top Bottom