What's new

Do I or Don't I?

I'm trying to keep my ADs in check and limit my shave spending. But, a week or so ago, I found these at a little shop. They're both under $10, I think $6 and $9 left to right. Should I pull the trigger with this month's 'Shave fund'?
proxy.php

If it were me I probably wouldn't pick up both, and if I were buying one I'd probably buy the thick-handled Tech on the right rather than the one on the left, which looks like an aluminum handle. From the shape of the reflection under the cap, the thick-handled one looks like it might be an early model Tech with the triangular gutter slots in the guard plate (1938-1945ish), too. Neither one is one that I couldn't possibly live without, though, if I were trying to cut back.

Techs are good razors. They are worth the money.
If you don't like the handles (I find them too small) you can find a lot of handles out there that will fit.

Is the Fat-handle Tech bent? The head doesn't look like it sits straight on the handle. The ball end Tech, I think, is not aluminum. The knurling on those is different. That looks, to me, like a standard Ni plated Tech from the '40s. It's a nice, mild razor. That one's pretty grungy and the plating might be trashed. I'm not sure it'd be worth picking up either one.

If you have enough good shavers on the go (or even 1) I would put the money towards something else in your shave world.

Personally I don't like the look of either of those, the cap on the ball end looks damaged and the head on the fat handle looks to be crooked. If you're patient on the bay you can pick up good conditioned or better techs for around the same price. At the moment OCs, Aristocrats and the various TTOs are commanding the money while the techs aren't getting as much love.

Is the Fat-handle Tech bent? The head doesn't look like it sits straight on the handle.

It looks more like the head may not be screwed all the way onto the handle in that shot, or at least the cap doesn't appear to be sitting fully down onto the guard plate as if it were screwed up tightly. Obviously, if that's because of any damage to the razor and not because it was just loose then you should definitely take a pass.

The ball end Tech, I think, is not aluminum. The knurling on those is different. That looks, to me, like a standard Ni plated Tech from the '40s.

You're probably thinking of the later ones with the diamond-pattern knurling. They also made aluminum-handled models with the older style knurling like that one. I was going more off of the color in the photo, which could be off, but comparing it to the nickel on the thick handle it looks a lot lighter and flatter like aluminum would.

Top Bottom