What's new

Do I need less than 4k?

B

bluefoxicy

I've dinged my razor on the faucet, and repaired the significant chip and dent right down the bevel entirely on the 4k norton.

Do I need anything coarser?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
1000x - 1200x is great for kitchen knives and not very expensive. Even with my 1000x it took me a very long time to hone out some chips on a vintage straight razor. But you've finished on your razor so you don't need anything else . . . AD might kick in.

Did you just say that you fixed it? If so, why would you need something lower grit?

Or did you mean that you breadknifed it to "repair the chip"

Sorry, but it's not clear what's happened

You can do the work on a 4k, but it will take longer than if you used a 1k. It's really up to you when it comes to the cost of buying another hone vs the extra time you'll spend if you do it on a 4k. Also, be very careful to keep your pressure and strokes even. Any uneven-ness to your honing will be magnified as you remove more and more metal.

B

bluefoxicy

Did you just say that you fixed it? If so, why would you need something lower grit?

Or did you mean that you breadknifed it to "repair the chip"

I spent like 2 hours on the Norton 4k honing, as the chip got smaller and smaller and the dent went away.

ok, so the chip and dent are fixed...

No reason to go lower. The lower grit stones are for accomplishing what you did in 20-30 minutes rather than 2 hours

I spent like 2 hours on the Norton 4k honing, as the chip got smaller and smaller and the dent went away.

I don't know if you did this, but the Norton works much faster if you lap it every few minutes. Keeps the surface fresh and aggressive. Also, when you're removing chips it's ok to use a fair bit of pressure, it's only when you're going for sharpness that you need to back off and just use the weight of the blade or less.

Top Bottom