What's new

DIY Horse Hair - Attempt #1

I finally finished my first attempt at a DIY horse hair brush. I opted for a tiny Ever-Ready 200c travel handle, mostly because I had a limited hair supply from the local humane society. A full album can be found here on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/kIXQO.

I didn't take as many pictures as I could have - I was really less interested in documenting it, more in the process itself.

Cleaning/Sterilization
I asked for (and received) a 50/50 mix of mane and tail hair in a variety of colors (chestnut, dark brown, black, etc). The hair was quite "fresh", so I first donned vinyl gloves and shampooed with my wife's clarifying 2-in-1 (Rinsed, and repeated x3). For sterilizing, I used my veggie steamer and steamed the hair for 30 minutes. One final shampoo/rinse, and the hair air dried.

Knot Prep
For this step I purchased some hair rubber bands (
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spartan-Super-Stretch-Black-Rubber-Bands-250-ct/10319239) and a plastic comb. I cut the hair into roughly 4 inch lengths, and did my best to gather the hair in 2-3mm bundles. I then secured each bundle with a single rubber band at the base of the bundle, trimming to a uniform length of 3mm from base of hair to rubber band. I repeated for the remainder of the hair (about 8 bundles). I test fit the hair in the handle, and was reasonably happy with how it fit. Realistically, I probably should have made a few more bundles, but at this point the only hair that was left was either horribly tangled, or significantly shorter than 4 inches.

Setting the Knot
I took one final rubber band and used it to secure all the bundles together, then I filled the handle half way with 5-minute clear-drying epoxy. I pushed the raw knot into the handle and wiped the excess epoxy off with a damp paper towel. Unfortunately, I was quite correct about needing more hair. I noticed there was a gap at some parts of the handle, so in an effort to push the hair to the edges, I inserted a sharpie into the middle of the brush and wiggled it around in an attempt to push the hair to the inside edge of the handle. Some epoxy started to wick up into the side of the brush - something else I'm not really pleased with - and I attempted to wipe as much away as I could with the paper towel.

Trimming/Shaping
After the knot had set for a few hours, I began to trim the knot with scissors. I test lathered after a 24 hour cure and realized the loft was way to high. Further trimming brought it down to approximately 45mm, and I switched to an electric hair trimmer to finish the bulb shape.

Final Thoughts
I'm somewhat happy with the final result. I haven't had a chance to shave with it yet (I woke up too late this morning), but it seems to be a lathering machine from the test batches. I'm noticing quite a bit of hair loss, although it's lessening as I'm using it/combing it. Next time I'll probably take a slightly different approach to the knot by epoxying each bundle individually, then sanding/shaping the cured epoxy before bundling it together. This should help with hair loss and also give me a better idea on how much hair is required.

One thing I'm really happy with is the blend of colors - specifically the one white stripe. The less uniform look is pretty appealing and I will probably attempt to do something similar with my next brush.

Now for the pictures!

$ER-01.jpg

Size comparison with Omega Pro 48
$ER-02.jpg

Higher contrast picture for better color
$ER-03.jpg

Slight epoxy creep on the lower left
$ER-04.jpg

Thanks for posting, and the knot looks pretty good. I would worry about prickliness from the trimmed ends, but your options for high loft are limited: o-rings, velcro strap, or just choking up on the brush with your fingers.

Did you make any attempt to track the time you put into the knot? It sounds like a lot of work. Professional knot-makers must get faster with practice, but I wonder if they have some shortcuts too? Maybe there is an opportunity here for brush-makers. Vie-Long could offer a two-week package in sunny Spain, with a four-day course in knot-making included.

I'd say the Cleaning/Sanitation part probably took the longest - about an hour and a half. The assembly & gluing probably took another 30-40 minutes. Trimming/shaping about 20 minutes.

I haven't actually used it for shaving yet (just whipping up a few quick lather batches), but it doesn't seem overly prickly - it's about the same as the original feel of my Pro48 boar brush. The other big problem was that the lady at the humane society basically cut off small portions of the tail/mane - they were much longer that I could ever use without cutting.

I'm curious what kinds of treatments I could try to soften the bristles... I may do a bit of research before my next go around.

When you cut the bristles/hairs, you only want to cut the bases, never the tips. The"professional" brush makers use a bulb-shaped cup to form the knot. The bristles are stuffed in, tips first, and then the base ends are cut flush and glued. The end result has the soft tips on the top of the knot and avoids the prickly cut ends.

The"professional" brush makers use a bulb-shaped cup to form the knot.

I attempted to use a rounded glass to create the bulb shape, but I went the route I did for two reasons:

1) The way the hair was provided, it was about 2 inches laid out and 1.5 ft long. If I only used the tip, I wouldn't have had enough for a knot larger than maybe 12mm. In an effort not to waste the free hair, I used as much as I could (turns out even with cutting it, I still didn't have enough for a true 18mm knot).
2) As this was my first attempt, I figured getting the process down was more important than actually producing a knot that was soft from the get-go. I don't doubt that over time it'll soften.

First shave report... It was quite prickly, but held a crap-load of lather. I used some high grit sandpaper on the bristles afterward and that has considerably lessened the pain. I don't doubt that this brush will work its way into my regular rotation, but until then I'll be at least lathering with it once a day to help the break in process along.

Now... Pics!
Lathered up
$DSCF3042.jpg

Post-Bloom
$DSCF3047.jpg

I have to bump this. this is good. EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. I get the bulb idea. but what the flip would one use to have that bulb? I cant think of anything in that shape. Horse hair should be easy for me to get since my woman does the equestrian competitions. Hmmm. how prickly are the cut ends though?

I wonder what would happen if you shaped the ends of the brush with a belt grinder? This might fray the ends of the hairs, and soften them. Just a thought. My daughter has several horses - might try it sometime. There was a video posted some time back about how the hair is shaped and tied, using a cup to shape them - anyone remember where that was?

For a bulb shape cut a racquetball/tennis ball in half to use as a mold, it should be just about the right size and shape.

You just got me thinking. I have a variety of hair for fly tying, including a coyote tail, which has fairly long hairs on it. I might have to build up a knot and see if I can find a suitable small handle to try it out in. Anyone heard of a coyote brush? If I can find my things, I'll have one this weekend.

Top Bottom