What's new

Disposable Razors you'd actually use...

+1 for the Bic Metal.

Best disposable available, IMHO.

I'd also use the ubiquitous Bic 'Dreamsicle' in a pinch. Decent shaver, and I don't think I've been in a drugstore in the last 10/15 years that didn't stock them.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Trac II. I picked up a 100 pack of Persona carts and still have plenty. I never broke a Trac in baggage. I broke plenty of disposables back when I used them.

I’ll do what I can to avoid resorting to it, and haven’t flown commercial carry-on only in a long while, so it’s a mostly moot point the last few years. But it stays in my carry-on/small dopp

I’ll +1 for the Trac II. Carts are still easy to find and purchase in bulk. And a vintage Trac II handle brings in the nostalgia.

Old Skool is Cool. 😎

Just working out my air travel kit and I first tried the Schick xtreme2 and that was a tugging experience, but I did get a decent 3-pass shave. Then on the recommendations here I decided to try the BIC Sensitive single blade and that has been very nice indeed. I have had 3 great shaves with it using Cremo, Barbasol canned foam and my homemade shave soap and all shaves has been DFS+. I think that the single blades washes out much easier. I definitely think that for me a single blade works the best. Maybe it is because it is similar to a DE to shave with, except for the weight of it. I am pretty sure that the BIC metal would work great too, but I would have to order those.

BIC Metal is good. It's very lightweight, though. I used to use them when I was traveling a lot. Carry a couple of those, a small tube of shave cream or a shave stick and you are set.

Gillette Guard. Technically it's a cartridge razor, but it's kind of a hybrid. A plastic handle with replaceable cartridges that swivel. Shaves pretty well and they're inexpensive.
Any preference between these two?

Deciding between them as a travel razor, also wondering if both are fine in carry-on luggage

Any preference between these two?

Deciding between them as a travel razor, also wondering if both are fine in carry-on luggage

The Gillette Guard is the best razor I’ve used to date (including DE’s and anything else with a blade).

Both totally safe for your carry on.

The BIC Metal is nowhere near as comfy and as efficient as the Guard.

The Gillette Guard is the best razor I’ve used to date (including DE’s and anything else with a blade).
Great to hear this!

Copying my question from another thread: Does the razor itself seem to last a long time? On eBay there are very few blade-only listings, only ones with razors included (and then x number of additional blades) which makes me wonder if you need to buy a couple razors in order to last

Great to hear this!

Copying my question from another thread: Does the razor itself seem to last a long time? On eBay there are very few blade-only listings, only ones with razors included (and then x number of additional blades) which makes me wonder if you need to buy a couple razors in order to last

I get 4 good shaves and can push a Guard to 5 sometimes. All depends on your beard, I have copper wire chin whiskers that will ultimately kill any blade.

The heads are replaceable but the handles are strong. I am still using the original handle I bought and it looks like brand new (I do clean it in vinegar and dish soap every time I change to a fresh head to get rid of the soap scum residue that builds up).

Great to hear this!

The Guard handle can last quite a long time if you take care of it. I'd just get a couple of handles to have one as a spare. After that, just get the refills and you should be set.

The handles are just plastic, though they are sturdy enough.

The Guard handle can last quite a long time if you take care of it. I'd just get a couple of handles to have one as a spare. After that, just get the refills and you should be set.

The handles are just plastic, though they are sturdy enough.
My current Guard handle has been going strong since January or so. I do have a couple of spare handles just in case along with a big stash of Guard carts, which came in handy when my family visited and my brother-in-law needed a razor. I got him hooked on the Guard, he loved it.

Top Bottom