What's new

Discoveries/Highlights of the Year 2012-Scents of the Year?

Victor and Rolf's SpiceBomb. Short lived, but very exciting. Starts off with a blast of cinnamon and dries down to a pantry of rich spices and fades away. All time favourite Jean Paul Gautier Le Male. Reminiscent of freshly rained on spring grass, a much more complex version of Demeter's Dirt, something that is very unique, never screams, and always smells fresh and clean and very sexy in an unassuming fashion.

Started using Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche that had been at the back of the collection for a while - a decent amber/leather - quite strong, good for winter.
Recent BST blind buy - Lubin Bluff - a somewhat sweet but very well made citrus-vetiver with some very nice spicy notes.

Christian Diors Bois d Argent was the highlight of 2012 for me., followed by Chanel Cuir d Russie, and Chanels Sycamore.
also sampled Serge Lutens: ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turk, De Profundis, which were all somewhat disappointing.

Since I started this whole fragrance journey late in 2011, everything in 2012 has been a discovery/highlight. I'll list some more notable ones though...

My exploration into incense brought me across CdG Avignon. While there are many great incense scents that I have tried, this one is my favorite by far. Most are heavy and overbearing or spicy and warm, but avignon stands out because of its clean, cold, well balanced smell. It's not in your face but its unmistakably incense.

I came across several nice discoveries while sampling rose scents. Montale black aoud is what started me out, which is great for the deep rose as well as the oud. I then found a much more wearable rose in Le labo's rose 31. Then found Hammam Bouquet which many people dislike but I really love the combo of rose and dirty musk. Because of my rose search I was turned on to the Smell Bent company which has several amazing scents (incensed and short fuse being 2 fantastic incenses) including bollywood or bust which is a fantastic rose mixed with spices.

I also discovered I really like vetivers, encre noir is probably my favorite, but also carven, etro, guerlain, MpG, and Tom Ford

I've wanted to post here since it was first started. Thanks for a great thread, Rob!

Rather than post about a lot of frags like I'm inclined to do, I'll just comment on one. For now. ��

I have been surprised at how much I've come to enjoy A Taste of Heaven this year. I always thought it was good, but considered it interchangeable with Caron Pour in Homme. After giving both more "wear" time this past year, I've come to the realization that the quality ATOH, and the nuances of the scent, are very noticeable. Yes, it's much more expensive. Is the difference that noticeable? Is it worth that much more? That's a question only you can answer for yourself.

I used to laugh at how wine snobs would describe wine tastes. But after realizing I can, blind folded, very easily tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, liking one and not the other, I don't laugh at wine snobs anymore. Or at those who like one fragrance more than another, regardless of how similar they might seem to me.

Top Bottom