What's new

Discordance

I’m with you on big knots = overkill. I like small badger knots in small handles. When I see the shelves of overkill knots in massive handles I am truly baffled as to why.

My only other is straight razors. It’s taken me so long to get DE shaving down and done right, I can’t even imagine doing this with a straight which to me = way too complicated.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I don't even know why, but I really dislike butterscotch brush handles. I wouldn't ever disparage anyone's enjoyment of them, but I simply do not understand the appeal, heh.

I have an unreasonable dislike for the term 'dopp kit', and this is probably the only time I will ever type it.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a butterscotch brush handle. Do you mean orange?

I agree about “Dopp kit”. I never heard that phrase before until recently. Is it a common term in America? Where does the word come from?

Mr. Shavington

Here's one. "I like my [big, heavy grind] straight razor because it plows through x days of growth with ease."

None of my razors care how long the whiskers are, they all cut at skin level regardless 😁. I once wiped out a two month beard with a tiny, super hollow 4/8
Yeah, this maddens me too. It is as though they think hair grows in width rather than length. If anything I feel like longer stubble cuts more easily. But anyway, if I ever see somebody say that I stop listening or reading right there.

Well, this thread isn’t supposed to be about language and words, so let’s get it back to shaving. For me these always feel like a stab in my kidney:
- “3 pass shave”
- “I have tough whiskers” (generally followed by “and sensitive skin”)
- “my beard requires an aggressive razor”
- “My whiskers are thick like copper wire”
- “I like some blade feel”
- “my shave was great I just got a few nicks here and there”
- “let the weight of the razor do the work”
“3- band Badger brushes are floppy”
- the term “backbone” in itself when referring to shaving brushes
- “I get 250 shaves out of a Williams’ puck”

I also agree with the OP on the butterscotch. Come on folks that’s just orange
I could go on and on but some gents would get unhappy 😂
Wow! You must get really sore kidneys around here! :concern: What language would be acceptable to you to describe a routine where one lathers the face three times and then removes it with a razor, or if one likes a razor design where the sensation of the razor edge is experienced beyond the safety bar? I didn't realize the bar was so high here? All in fun. :lemo:

Last edited:

Mr. Shavington

I think my own peeve is the term “BBS”. It doesn’t mean anything, and it sounds like insipid insider jargon to me. I always assume when someone says “BBS” they really mean “please like me”.

I know I’ve just insulted every one of you. Sorry for that.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, this maddens me too. It is as though they think hair grows in width rather than length. If anything I feel like longer stubble cuts more easily. But anyway, if I ever see somebody say that I stop listening or reading right there.
YMMV...

I just couldn't resist!

FarmerTan

I think my own peeve is the term “BBS”. It doesn’t mean anything, and it sounds like insipid insider jargon to me. I always assume when someone says “BBS” they really mean “please like me”.

I know I’ve just insulted every one of you. Sorry for that.
Amazingly enough (remember, I'm dyslexic) I just realized YESTERDAY that the last two letters in "BBS" is BS!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I thought metric "gas mileage" was liters per 100 kilometers.

So, shouldn't it be YLMV (Your Literage May Vary)?

Actually, no. :)

Here in Canada we have fuel economy ratings in L/100 km and in mpg. The thing is, though, that Canadian cars ALL get at least 20 per cent farther on a gallon of gas than American cars, even though in most cases it's the same car. Wazzupwiddat?

We still use Imperial gallons to calculate mpg. Imperial gallons are 20 per cent larger than "wine gallons" or what has politicized as the "U.S. Gallon." They're 160 fluid ounces instead of 128 -- it's still four Imperial quarts, but in wine quarts an Imperial gallon is five quarts.

So really, YMMV.

O.H.

FarmerTan

Here in Canada we have fuel economy ratings in L/100 km and in mpg. The thing is, though, that Canadian cars ALL get at least 20 per cent farther on a gallon of gas than American cars, even though in most cases it's the same car. Wazzupwiddat?

We still use Imperial gallons to calculate mpg. Imperial gallons are 20 per cent larger than "wine gallons" or what has politicized as the "U.S. Gallon." They're 160 fluid ounces instead of 128 -- it's still four Imperial quarts, but in wine quarts an Imperial gallon is five quarts.

So really, YMMV.

O.H.
Dang it, if Trudeau will have me, I'm movin' to Kanadia!

I'm doing it for the 2 qt. Ice Cream containers! We are just so shtoopid in the US. We even turn down youse guyses Oil, and we'd probably get the better end of the deal if you measure everything like that!

So really, YMMV.

O.H.

It’s probably because you guys don’t drive like idiots, which is a very common thing with American drivers.

FarmerTan

Amazingly enough (remember, I'm dyslexic) I just realized YESTERDAY that the last two letters in "BBS" is BS!
Y'all must know by now that @KeenDogg keeps me on a short leash, lol, his kids musta let him sleep in....

Anyway, I need to come up with werds for a "BS" shave so I can start a thread that'll turn into a Brotherhood or a Club of "BS Shavers!"

Oh my, I've done it again. Just cracked myself up!
Honestly, brane bleeds can be fun! I was NEVER this much fun inside my own head 10 years ago! Aging is a blast, if someone else would tie my shoes!

Something stirs my inner adolescent every time I hear the word "member." And it only gets worse with time. I was past saving when it became an unfortunately named apparel line, at least, as I remember.

My sickness runs deep. I collect verbal pauses and tautologies.

Don't get me started on don't get me started.

At least I find confirmation in the truth of the contrapositive of "it is what is," namely, it isn't what it isn't.

I am annoyed.

Top Bottom