What's new

Disassemble 1912 for clean/policy?

In a pleasant surprise, the GEM Junior (1912 head) I bought showed up as I was leaving the house this morning, when the postal worker actually came by 9:00am! - Not the norm.

In any event, I'd like to clean & lightly polish the brass(?) head, and I'm assuming it's brass and not gold plated, as is my Tech, but who knows. The color looks more brass to my eyes, and I'm not sure GEM gold plated their razors. Razor even came in the original box, and the surface is in very good shape, just tarnished looking. The cap seems to easily be removable by pushing it to one side and popping it off the little tab. Is there any reason I should not do so, so I give it a thorough cleaning and light polish? (I'll use a non-abrasive clear-coat safe automobile polish, which shouldn't hurt the plating). I don't see any reason why this would damage the razor, but wanted to see if any of you have taken them a part to clean, or whether I should just use a q-tip or something similar to get back into the hinged area tonight.

Once she's clean, and soaked in disinfected, I'll snap a picture or two.

IMO very few of the old razors were unplated brass as it tarnishes too fast. The plating may have been thin but they were plated when they left the factory. A recent discussion on Micromatics had people reproduce original advertisements which stated that they were gold plated. Renaissance Wax is not abrasive, unlike most automotive waxes, and is good for preserving the surface AFTER CLEANING. Cleaning should be as gentle as possible using dish washing liquid detergent and a soft tooth brush IMO. Anything rougher may remove gold plating, even tooth paste polishing as tooth paste has abrasives and the gold plating on many of the old razors is incredibly thin.

All the old Gillette razors you see on ebay with red colored top caps are examples of razors that have had the original gold plating worn or polished off, frequently due to over cleaning or polishing. They did NOT look that color when they left the factory.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I've done the cleaning with dish detergent (Dawn) and a toothbrush. Just looking to clean up the 80 or so years of tarnish or discoloration. Since the underside, cap, and inside are all the same color, it's not worn off plating, so I'm guessing it's Gold then. (The tarnish like appearance had me thinking brass perhaps, but a small dot of cleaner was on the underside I tested came up really nice, but I was hesitant to possibly damage the plating).

I'll shine her up tonight and snap a picture or two, I think it's going to come up real nice and appears to be a barely used razor. Even have the original press-board box for it. May even give her a test shave tomorrow morning, with a PTFE blade.

Thanks guys, I've done the cleaning with dish detergent (Dawn) and a toothbrush. Just looking to clean up the 80 or so years of tarnish or discoloration. Since the underside, cap, and inside are all the same color, it's not worn off plating, so I'm guessing it's Gold then. (The tarnish like appearance had me thinking brass perhaps, but a small dot of cleaner was on the underside I tested came up really nice, but I was hesitant to possibly damage the plating).

I'll shine her up tonight and snap a picture or two, I think it's going to come up real nice and appears to be a barely used razor. Even have the original press-board box for it. May even give her a test shave tomorrow morning, with a PTFE blade.
Look forward to the pictures.

yhbze3D8QhFe0.gif

Haven't yet shaved with it, only had a chance to polish and disinfect. Waiting until there's a day to take my time, and with the utility work this week, I've been up and out early this week. Maiden shave will wait until Saturday by necessity. :a36:

It totally makes sense to take your time and don't hurry the first shave with a new razor. Looking forward to your report when the time was right.

Well, first shave is a mixed bag to say the least. On the plus side, efficient, two passes yielded close to dfs, and I did a partial 3rd for cleanup. I went WTG, ATG, and partial XTG. - WTG left close to two passes with a mild to low mid DE. Was careful to lay head flat on angle, resist added pressure, and not swipe away... Reasonable speed. - Good audible feedback, so presumably, I had a good angle.

Don't think I could have done a full three passes, as there were several irritated areas, and more nicks than my last OC shave with a Schone or Parker. Upper lip, neck were the worse. Somehow I also put a pin sized nick on each cheek, which baffles me. Needed alum for the nick about an inch above Adam's apple and chin. That's with good prep, more than I usually do, including some Dove Pre-Shave oil, face lather with Stirling Margaritas in the Artic (slick soap), after a hot shower including some hair conditioner on my beard. I did use a new ptfe coated blade btw. Will need to revisit after a day or two, when the irritation heals.

Also, the fat rubbery feeling handle is a joy to hold, making it easier to control than the pushbutton model..... Unfortunately, similar results at this point.

Well, tried the 1912 again today, MUCH better results than previously. I've picked up a few pointer which might help others.

First, and probably most importantly, apply any pressure or momentum from behind the head, pushing it forward, don't pull/push the handle like you would on a DE and for the love of god don't push the head into your face. With that, keep it moving, don't accidentally perform a slow 'buffing' motion, like you would with a DE...results are not good if you do.

During the 3rd pass, which was more cleanup, and under the nose, the 1912 can actually be used with and likes a bit of a steeper angle, sort of half way between a DE and head flat against your face if you don't apply any pressure. (I'm guessing maybe 15 degrees from being flat, give or take). The 1912 has a nice tall comb, which allows you to do so.....the guard on Push-Button, and from what I've seen in pics, the Micromatic, G-Bar, and other of that similar design do not. (It worked really well to get that remaining stubble). It was sort of like shaving with an Open Comb, but a very mild/forgiving open comb, with a more rigid blade.

This was my 2nd shave with the 1912, and 2nd for the PTFE blade. I may just try to shave the next time using the slightly steeper angle used for clean up this time, it felt pretty darn good doing the clean up. Of course that might not be for a couple of days, my replacement OneBlade Core (v2) is due today! :shaving:

Last edited:
Top Bottom