What's new

Disappointed with TOBS Eton College scent

A month into my wet shaving journey I used TOB Sandalwood exclusively for the first 3 weeks. I loved the scent and it fills by bathroom when I'm shaving. Based on this and also on the number of times I saw them mentioned in the favourite shaving cream scent thread I bought TOB Eton College and Jermyn Street shaving cream.

I've yet to try the Jermyn Street cream but I was disappointed with Eton College. The performance was the same as Sandalwood but I found the scent to be very weak compared to the Sandalwood.

I was wondering if I bought a tub from old stock?

I doubt your tub is old. Eton College is a mild/subtle scent. At least the 2 tubs I've had of it. I personally like the scent and performance. Jermyn street is a great cream as well.

Last edited:
TOBS Sandalwood is, I believe, legendary for it's very prominent scent. I've never had another product that was so bold (I happen to love TOBS Sandalwood).

Interesting you mention AOS. I had a jar of their Sandalwood as well as Proraso's Sandalwood. Both smell closer to what I expect sandalwood to smell like. Thing is, I don't care for the real scent. TOBS Sandalwood is its own unique thing that doesn't really have a traditional sandalwood smell IMO.

Interesting you mention AOS. I had a jar of their Sandalwood as well as Proraso's Sandalwood. Both smell closer to what I expect sandalwood to smell like. Thing is, I don't care for the real scent. TOBS Sandalwood is its own unique thing that doesn't really have a traditional sandalwood smell IMO.
Agree! TOBS is much, much more complex and unique and has an old school Barbershop smell to me! AOS Sandalwood is a true clean sweet Sandalwood.

TOBS Eton College is one of my favorite creams.

TOBS creams seem to skin-over a little while stored. After you've broken the surface on more of the cream, the scent should get stronger.

I hade the same experience with TOBS Sandalwood. Thought the scent was weak at-first.

I like Eton College. It is also one of my favorites. It has a nice citrusy scent to it backed by a soapy smell similar to most of their creams.

The only TOBS cream that has left me somewhat underwhelmed is their Lemon & Lime. I may have a bad batch but I can't get it quite a slick as the others and the scent is a little too subtle.

I just got a tub of Eton College and it is pretty strong to me. Not as strong as the Sandalwood but pretty strong for a citrus scent. It has a nice citrus, floral and musk scent. It is cologne like to me. You might have an old tub.

I am also not a fan of Eaton College. I found that I quite disliked its sent. I do rather enjoy Sandalwood, but my all-time favourite is Jermyn Street, and it's the cream I use most often

I am also a fan of TOBS Eaton College. And I also agree with trying TOBS Peppermint (good winter scent) and Grapefruit (summer scent).

I can't imagine I'm gonna like the Grapefruit but I ordered a jar from English Shaving after reading so many glowing remarks. Something like $9-10 shipped to the US. I remember a few years back reading all the praise for Avocado. Got a jar and found it vile. Worked fine but couldn't stand the scent and tossed it or sent it to someone else.

Jermyn Street is the only TOBS product I've tried so far, but I think you'll be disappointed with its scent strength as well. It's one of my favorite scents so far, but it is also one of the weakest I've encountered.

Love TOBS and its Sandalwood is legendary!! Try the Grapefruit and Peppermint if you want a stronger scent. If you like Sandalwood try Art of Shaving Sandalwood. It is a strong sweet Sandalwood scent!

I just ordered the Art of Shaving Sandalwood cream and aftershave balm. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. I guess I've got Sandalwood acquisition disorder. Stirling Sandalwood and Bay Rum soaps are also on the way!

I just tried TOBS St. James collection cream for the first time which I bought from Amazon a week ago. It had virtually no scent whatsoever. The cream was usually TOB consistency and nothing else seemed unusually. Usual great TOBS peformance but even after lathering no discernible scent. I've asked Amazon for a replacement in case I have one from old stock but it seems unlikely with Amazon's turnover? I'm somewhat shocked...

I just tried TOBS St. James collection cream for the first time which I bought from Amazon a week ago. It had virtually no scent whatsoever. The cream was usually TOB consistency and nothing else seemed unusually. Usual great TOBS peformance but even after lathering no discernible scent. I've asked Amazon for a replacement in case I have one from old stock but it seems unlikely with Amazon's turnover? I'm somewhat shocked...

I have a smaller tube of the Jermyn Street that I intended to take with me when traveling. I never tested the scent before buying figuring it didn't matter for such a small tube. I tried it out at home and have to say the scent was significantly lacking as compared to all of my other TOBS creams. And I have a lot of them. Eton College happens to be one of my favorites and there are strong citrus notes in it. In fact, I prefer the Eton College over the Lemon and Lime because I get far more citrus from the EC. The Lemon and Lime just seems synthetic to me and not strong enough. I haven't tried the St. James cream so I can't comment about that one.

Last edited:
Gotta say I disagree with most of this based on my personal preferences.

I have 3 TOBS creams on the go now - Jermyn St, Sandalwood and Eton College - and love the scent of all of them. I admit they're subtle but that's fine with me as I'm going to be washing it off and putting cologne on in a few minutes anyway.

I do tend to agree on the Lemon & Lime though - just reminded me of washing up liquid when I tried it in the store

I've been using TOBS Almond for a couple years now and I really love it. The scent doesn't last long, but it's sweet and nutty, and strong enough out of the tub. The other 2 scents I've tried were Jermyn Street and Lemon and Lime. My wife and I really like Jermyn Street. So much so, I'll be ordering a tub. But I really dislike Lemon and Lime. I couldn't put my finger on why, but you guys hit the nail on the head. It has that really synthetic artificial smell. Sandalwood and Eton College are on my list of other scents to try out.

Top Bottom