What's new

Dipping my toes in the SR waters

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you'll ever stop keeping at it. Every SR shave is a little adventure. I have yet to hear of anyone who stopped SR shave just because of boredom, even with only using just one SR.

Did not mean to imply that I would stop keeping at it once my comfort and confidence levels have improved. Just that the shaves will improve to the point where I will be able to use only the Shavette as I get better. :)

My reccomendation when you are ready to buy an acutal straight is that they take a bit of money to start up with. you can find cheap strops on ebay, you can find fairly decent razors for not much over $40 ish (I recently did a review on razor meister razors these guys can be found on ebay for ~$35) Stones. A good starter set is welsh slate set. slurry makes them act a little more in the coarser grit range. these can give you a decent edge for not a lot of money.
6"X 2" WELSH SLATE TRI SHARPENING STONE SET of 3 HONES RAZOR HONE TOOLS ETC ~~ | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-2-WELSH-SLATE-TRI-SHARPENING-STONE-SET-of-3-HONES-RAZOR-HONE-TOOLS-ETC/174299353192?hash=item28950d1068:m:mzCIp7zMmt8HBT1PpXxQBFA all things told you can find all the items ive mentioned here for about $120 on ebay. IF you buy those the razor i mentioned they say theyre honed and shave ready dont believe them it skipped all over my beard and will need honed before use.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My reccomendation when you are ready to buy an acutal straight is that they take a bit of money to start up with. you can find cheap strops on ebay, you can find fairly decent razors for not much over $40 ish (I recently did a review on razor meister razors these guys can be found on ebay for ~$35) Stones. A good starter set is welsh slate set. slurry makes them act a little more in the coarser grit range. these can give you a decent edge for not a lot of money.
6"X 2" WELSH SLATE TRI SHARPENING STONE SET of 3 HONES RAZOR HONE TOOLS ETC ~~ | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X-2-WELSH-SLATE-TRI-SHARPENING-STONE-SET-of-3-HONES-RAZOR-HONE-TOOLS-ETC/174299353192?hash=item28950d1068:m:mzCIp7zMmt8HBT1PpXxQBFA all things told you can find all the items ive mentioned here for about $120 on ebay. IF you buy those the razor i mentioned they say theyre honed and shave ready dont believe them it skipped all over my beard and will need honed before use.

Thank you very much. Excellent advice to consider if (read: when ;)) I decide to migrate from an AC Shavette to a Straight. :)

Top Bottom