What's new

Dipping my toes in the SR waters

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
First post in the SR section. :)

Recently picked up an inexpensive Facón Kamisori "Professional Standard Japanese Straight Edge Feather Barber Razor" (seller description) from Amazon. I have no illusions that this is, in any way, a 'be all, end all' razor.

Have been dipping my toes into this wonderful new (for me) world of SRs by using the razor (gingerly, I might add) to do touch-up (if/as needed) along my jawline and neck.

At this point, I am not even sure what to ask. Lots of great tips and guidance here at B&B plus a bunch of YouTube videos to peruse. As I learn more, I am sure that I will be back to ask some 'SR Newbie' questions.

The only concern that I have is a lack of dexterity in my hands and whether I can get to the point where I can do a shave start to finish using just this razor.

As always, I am eager to learn and welcome your comments and guidance. :)

Thank you. :)

Best advice I got was to just start.
Straight razor shaving has got a long curve, so start from shaving side burns down to cheeks and then slowly graduate to neck, around mouth etc.
This was my method for learning.
Along the way I've had issues; recently couldn't figure out why my blades were not staying sharp for long: some on the forum here helped me by suggesting my angle on the blade was too steep (and it was).
Everyone here is very helpful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Best advice I got was to just start.
Straight razor shaving has got a long curve, so start from shaving side burns down to cheeks and then slowly graduate to neck, around mouth etc.
This was my method for learning.
Along the way I've had issues; recently couldn't figure out why my blades were not staying sharp for long: some on the forum here helped me by suggesting my angle on the blade was too steep (and it was).
Everyone here is very helpful.
Thank you. Good advice. :)

First post in the SR section. :)

Recently picked up an inexpensive Facón Kamisori "Professional Standard Japanese Straight Edge Feather Barber Razor" (seller description) from Amazon. I have no illusions that this is, in any way, a 'be all, end all' razor.

Have been dipping my toes into this wonderful new (for me) world of SRs by using the razor (gingerly, I might add) to do touch-up (if/as needed) along my jawline and neck.

At this point, I am not even sure what to ask. Lots of great tips and guidance here at B&B plus a bunch of YouTube videos to peruse. As I learn more, I am sure that I will be back to ask some 'SR Newbie' questions.

The only concern that I have is a lack of dexterity in my hands and whether I can get to the point where I can do a shave start to finish using just this razor.

As always, I am eager to learn and welcome your comments and guidance. :)

Thank you. :)

very knowledgeable group here who have been very helpful with my questions......

its a whole different rabbit hole......but it has its benefits!!!!!

camo

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

By the way, a rich, slick lather was transformative for me, as well as the shallower angle mentioned by @quijas23.

Be patient and maybe accept you're going to get a few cuts along the way. I've been SR / shavette shaving since Feb '19. Not that many cuts really considering the nature of this hobby, all pretty small and so far none have required more than a styptic pencil. I stopped cutting myself frequently after about 3 months of more-or-less daily shaving, I think others have found a similar timescale for this.

Take your time and enjoy the journey. Using a SR is not as difficult as it appears. One you get over the fear and relax and focus on technique, it a very relaxing and rewarding experience. Make sure you are using a good, properly honed blade and maintain it properly. Ask lots of questions as they arise.

Enjoy!

1. Start on the flattest, easiest parts of the face, which are the cheeks on both sides. Don't move on to other parts of the face until you are very comfortable doing just the cheeks. Seven to ten shaves of just the cheeks, at least (in my opinion).

2. Use the right hand for the right side of the face and the left hand for the left side. It will feel weird at first, but it is worth the effort.

3. Strop carefully. You can't strop like you see some guys on the YouTube videos, at lightning speed, until you learn that motor skill, as well. Take your time and make sure you don't roll the edge.

We're here to help just ask...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
very knowledgeable group here who have been very helpful with my questions......

its a whole different rabbit hole......but it has its benefits!!!!!

camo

Thank you, @camoloc :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

By the way, a rich, slick lather was transformative for me, as well as the shallower angle mentioned by @quijas23.

Be patient and maybe accept you're going to get a few cuts along the way. I've been SR / shavette shaving since Feb '19. Not that many cuts really considering the nature of this hobby, all pretty small and so far none have required more than a styptic pencil. I stopped cutting myself frequently after about 3 months of more-or-less daily shaving, I think others have found a similar timescale for this.

Thank you, @MurderousCrow :)

I will work on my lather.....and my patience. ;)

Take your time and enjoy the journey. Using a SR is not as difficult as it appears. One you get over the fear and relax and focus on technique, it a very relaxing and rewarding experience. Make sure you are using a good, properly honed blade and maintain it properly. Ask lots of questions as they arise.

Enjoy!

Thank you, @Robini :)

For now, I just have the one Shavette that takes AC blades. Not quite ready to tackle honing. ;)

1. Start on the flattest, easiest parts of the face, which are the cheeks on both sides. Don't move on to other parts of the face until you are very comfortable doing just the cheeks. Seven to ten shaves of just the cheeks, at least (in my opinion).

2. Use the right hand for the right side of the face and the left hand for the left side. It will feel weird at first, but it is worth the effort.

3. Strop carefully. You can't strop like you see some guys on the YouTube videos, at lightning speed, until you learn that motor skill, as well. Take your time and make sure you don't roll the edge.

Thank you, @kingfisher :)

I am working on my non-dominant hand with DEs and SEs before I go whole hog trying it with the SR.

Fractured two vertebra in my neck (motorcycle wreck) and my hand (especially my non-dominant hand) dexterity is not what it could be. This is one of the reasons I want to try SRs - might help with the dexterity.

We're here to help just ask...

View attachment 1100446

Thank you, @Polarbeard :)

Inquiring minds want to know if that's your back being shaved. ;) ;)

Thank you, @camoloc :)

Thank you, @MurderousCrow :)

I will work on my lather.....and my patience. ;)

Thank you, @Robini :)

For now, I just have the one Shavette that takes AC blades. Not quite ready to tackle honing. ;)

Thank you, @kingfisher :)

I am working on my non-dominant hand with DEs and SEs before I go whole hog trying it with the SR.

Fractured two vertebra in my neck (motorcycle wreck) and my hand (especially my non-dominant hand) dexterity is not what it could be. This is one of the reasons I want to try SRs - might help with the dexterity.

Thank you, @Polarbeard :)

Inquiring minds want to know if that's your back being shaved. ;) ;)
Nah I just rub my back against any old rock when needed.

A comment on the dexderity concern ... Just remember there are no rules on grip, position, etc. Try different holds, angles, etc. Turn your body. Nothing says you have to face the motor square on. Experiment.

I've lost some dexderity and developed some tremors in my right hand and have ended up two-handing my right side, face and neck, while shaving more traditionally on my left. Still getting BBS and smiling incessantly.

You will be able to find something that works for you. Just keep trying.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A comment on the dexderity concern ... Just remember there are no rules on grip, position, etc. Try different holds, angles, etc. Turn your body. Nothing says you have to face the motor square on. Experiment.

I've lost some dexderity and developed some tremors in my right hand and have ended up two-handing my right side, face and neck, while shaving more traditionally on my left. Still getting BBS and smiling incessantly.

You will be able to find something that works for you. Just keep trying.
Thank you for this excellent advice. I will definitely keep trying. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Start on the flattest, easiest parts of the face, which are the cheeks on both sides. Don't move on to other parts of the face until you are very comfortable doing just the cheeks. Seven to ten shaves of just the cheeks, at least (in my opinion).

Been following this advice for my touch--ups on my cheeks, along my jawline and down my neck.

Still working to see what's comfortable for me under my nose, mouth and jaw.

It's coming.....slowly but surely. :)

Thanks to everyone for your patience and great advice.

Can tell I'm catching this AD too - been looking at the Feather AC Shavette. ;)

Been following this advice for my touch--ups on my cheeks, along my jawline and down my neck.

Still working to see what's comfortable for me under my nose, mouth and jaw.

It's coming.....slowly but surely. :)

Thanks to everyone for your patience and great advice.

Can tell I'm catching this AD too - been looking at the Feather AC Shavette. ;)
Ya gotta get one. Get the SS; much more forgiving, and cheaper, too. On Amazon only about $70 or so (haven't checked prices lately). Load it up with a Schick Proline and enjoy!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
First complete pass (WTG only) with the Facón Kamisori (AC Blade Straight Shavette) - and I survived with only two minor nicks (both my fault). No transfusions required! :)
20200529_104823~2.jpg

Razor (WTG): Facón Kamisori Shavette
Blade (WTG): Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (2)

Razor (XTG & ATG): Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade (XTG & ATG): Bolzano (5)
Brush: Omega EVO
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Bowl: Bamboo
Post-shave: DSA Crystal Alum
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Next to no touch-up needed.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no weepers, two minor nicks (both with the Kamisori, due to my lack of experience with SRs), no cuts, no irritation.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Congratulations on your first full pass. It only gets better.

Soon you will want to be doing two passes and then three if needed.

First complete pass (WTG only) with the Facón Kamisori (AC Blade Straight Shavette) - and I survived with only two minor nicks (both my fault). No transfusions required! :)
View attachment 1106658
Razor (WTG): Facón Kamisori Shavette
Blade (WTG): Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (2)

Razor (XTG & ATG): Fatip Lo Storto Originale
Blade (XTG & ATG): Bolzano (5)
Brush: Omega EVO
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Bowl: Bamboo
Post-shave: DSA Crystal Alum
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Next to no touch-up needed.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no weepers, two minor nicks (both with the Kamisori, due to my lack of experience with SRs), no cuts, no irritation.

congrats on the complete pass!!!!!

keep at it........it only gets better.

camo

Top Bottom