What's new

Diplomat?

I think I've been able to identify this razor that I just found tucked away in an antique store by doing some searching around here, but I wanted to be sure. It has the knurling just above the TTO knob and it is gold. It looks a bit silver in the photos, but it is definitely gold and incredibly shiny with no apparent loss of plating. I'm thinking the gold color with the knurling above the TTO knob means this a Gillette Diplomat. I saw a couple other pictures of one just like it, which was also labeled as a Diplomat, and it had the same case as well. So, I'm thinking this is the correct case for it as well. Can anybody confirm or deny any of this? Also, the date code is A2 (2nd quarter of 1955), if that is helpful at all. I'm off to clean it up a bit, there's a tiny bit of soap scum under the head, but otherwise it looks really, really sharp. Thanks in advance.

Gee, I hope you didn't pay too much for it, it's only worth a lot! :w00t:

Great find, even if you paid $50 or more (bet it was less :wink:), it was a bargain. And a beeeautiful piece. Nice catch.

Indeed, I didn't pay much for it. It had a number of prices on the tag that had been crossed off. $18.00. $15.00. $12.00. The final sale price: $10.00! And the lady even asked if that would be okay. I didn't even know what it was, but I figured anything with a case has got to be worth at least $10.00. So...it's 'worth' more than this I'm assuming? Any ideas what? I put 'worth' in quotes, because I know it is only 'worth' what someone would pay for it.

Now I'm wondering what I should do with it. I've got a SuperSpeed and a Lady Gillette, both of which I'm quite happy with. This razor is really in excellent condition. Both end caps are there. The head is incredibly shiny. There are some minute and minor surface scratches that would probably polish out on the head, especially if somebody really knows what they're doing. They really are only visible if the light hits them in the right places. I'd guess it was used a few times, but not much at all. I don't detect any plate loss at all, but this is the only one I've seen. The case itself is in pretty good shape as well. There are of course some indentations in the felt(?) where the razor has been sitting as well as a couple minor ones elsewhere. There was at one time some sort of sticker on the bottom side of the case that left some residue after being removed, but it does not appear to have taken any of the leather with it. There are a couple scratches on the gold part of the lid of the case.

So...do I shave with it a time or two to see if I like the way it shaves or just put it up for sale? I'm not really interested in collecting razors for the fun of it (at least not now), so I'm thinking if I don't like the way it shaves, then I might as well sell it. Any thoughts???

Now I'm wondering what I should do with it. I've got a SuperSpeed and a Lady Gillette, both of which I'm quite happy with. This razor is really in excellent condition. Both end caps are there. The head is incredibly shiny. There are some minute and minor surface scratches that would probably polish out on the head, especially if somebody really knows what they're doing. They really are only visible if the light hits them in the right places. I'd guess it was used a few times, but not much at all. I don't detect any plate loss at all, but this is the only one I've seen. The case itself is in pretty good shape as well. There are of course some indentations in the felt(?) where the razor has been sitting as well as a couple minor ones elsewhere. There was at one time some sort of sticker on the bottom side of the case that left some residue after being removed, but it does not appear to have taken any of the leather with it. There are a couple scratches on the gold part of the lid of the case.

So...do I shave with it a time or two to see if I like the way it shaves or just put it up for sale? I'm not really interested in collecting razors for the fun of it (at least not now), so I'm thinking if I don't like the way it shaves, then I might as well sell it. Any thoughts???

What to do with it? Sell it to me for $20!! It's a terrible shaver. I guarantee you won't like it. You'll double your investment!!

great razor - SHAVE WITH IT!!!!!

and... tell ya what - I'll TRIPLE YOUR MONEY!!!!

I won't even go all Madoff on you -I'll PAY CASH!

That's right - $24.95... CASH.

whaddya say?

Well, what you do with it is your business. I'd highly suggest keeping it and using it. From everything I've heard, it should be a really sweet shave (you may fall in love :001_wub:. I think it should shave just like my President (which I'm trying in the morning for the first time), which is also supposed to be great.

One sold on eBay at the end of last month for $125. I seem to recall seeing one even higher (possibly not properly named, as many there are not), but I could be mistaken (might have been an Executive?). Anyway, they go for considerably less here on the BST, but then you know it will probably be better appreciated. Maybe not.

Bottom line, it was ten bucks. Keep it! Use it, unless you hate it, throw it in a rotation. Or, send it to me. I'll bid fifty. :biggrin: Plus shipping and PayPal fees. :cool:. But seriously, you should keep it. JMHO, YMMV, void where prohibited.

Hmm...thanks to all for the input. I think I'll definitely try it for a couple of shaves and see what I think of it. I'll just be really, really careful to ensure that I don't accidentally drop it or something horrible like that and ding it up. If I don't like it, then I think I'll be putting it up for sale or trade here. I've kind of had my eye opened to the Gillette American Button Company empire edition. Those look pretty amazing. I wonder how those shave...perhaps a trade could be arranged if it would be of comparable value. Thanks again guys.

Top Bottom